Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Challenge Cup

Down With It
    It'll be hard to watch, but I'm brave enough...I'll do it. I'll be tweeting about it too.

Then, of course, I'll offer extended thoughts here later on.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    That and the send off club skate before the Nationals.

Jeremy twitted:

Perhaps the coaches saw how they had been on one year and off the next, ditto competitions, so they wanted to sandwich a bad skate between the Nationals and Worlds for them.
    There you go. We have the right scapegoats. Jason and Yuka, forget your Christmas coaching bonus. Well, they aren't miracle healers. Word of encouragement can only do so much but i think it was a stupid move. Not just the results. Simply too close to Worlds. I remember when Maria B. used to skate at Russian hockey games I think I read to get in front of a crowd. She was much like Alissa in the nerves dept for those who never saw her. She was trying to adjust to crowds, her fears, etc. I don't know if it helped, but she did win that WC when all else were off. It can happen, I guess.

Custom Title
    I do not know what is the best way in terms of coach-skater relationship.
    It probably depends on who the coach is and which skater he/she is going to coach; for instance Frank Caroll for Evan vs. Frank for Mirai.
    I do not know exactly how the coach-skater relationship works between Jason and Alissa, or between Yuka and Jeremy.

But my overall impression which I get through TV screen after rather dissapointing skates by Alissa; e.g. at the Grand Prix Final or the US Nats, and when she got off from te ice, Jason's attitude to Alissa looked to me 'too soothing' (is this the right word? someone?) like 'cradling a crying baby'.
    Competitions are, after all, competitions. The bigger it gets; such as about 'winning the championships', the more do-it-or-die kind of game it gets. Jason is too kind as a prefessional coach, maybe?

Jeremy, I really donot understand...
    He has been doing so well on every Grand Prix circuits since 2008. He appears much 'calm' after he switched to Yuka. He had such excellent programs worthy of winning the World medal last season. He has even more excellent programs this year again. What he has to do is deliver them when it counts.

If I were his coach, I would say, "JUST. DO. IT."

Down With It
    So, is your thinking that they need "tough love"?

Everyone is different and probably has a unique coaching strategy that will work for them. Some need that tough love, that kick in the butt to get them going. Others may be more fragile and need someone to comfort them when they mess up...it's a personality thing.

Custom Title
    i think both jason and alissa and jeremy by being part of the group-focused on past like 4cc instead of ahead. and didn't fight for it. just skated to see what they could get with mistakes and see how well (healed-not)they are. and didn't skate well.
    jeremy for me like alissa is more of a front end skater than back end. they focus not on present sometimes but on past.

Custom Title
    The senior slots in these events should have been awarded, NO QUESTION in my mind, to some very talented US seniors who don't have a whiff of ISU standing but have great talent and perseverence. I could name names, but we all know who they are. What was USFS thinking???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    So, is your thinking that they need "tough love"?

Everyone is different and probably has a unique coaching strategy that will work for them. Some need that tough love, that kick in the butt to get them going. Others may be more fragile and need someone to comfort them when they mess up...it's a personality thing.
    I did not want to be mean to them at all.
    I picked Jeremy and Alissa for my dream podium in another thread.
    I just wonder what is the best way for them at this time of the season, being so close to the Worlds...

Both are the National Champions multiple times already.
    So, the reason they decided to continue competitive skating after Vancouver, at this point of their career, is to get on the World podium or even win the World title, isn't it? Or what is the point for them to stay eligible, paying for ice time and to coaches, training very hard everyday, going on a certain diet (being based in the US, a rather strict diet, probably)? Because they want it badly, I suppose.

I sincerely hope both Alissa and Jeremy can regain their consisitency on jumps and their confidence in time for Worlds and skate lights out.

Custom Title
    Jeremy is puzzling to me. He and his frequent Twits generally display a light hearted, funny, even goofy personality while being positive and determined about his skating, voicing his confidence often. Yet we see a completely different person when he steps on the ice to begin his program. His face is hard to watch as it usually shows intense nervousness and fear even. A fall on the opening quad will often bring down most of the other jumps in his program as his confidence and focus are shot. As soon as he finishes his skate, he displays yet another completely different countenance, mostly relief, and he reverts to his cheerful self even if he has just skated badly. Whether or not it's a put on bravado, he doesn't seem to let poor performances and result get him down.

It's fitting that he's a Gemini. We can only hope for the right twin to show up at competitions.

Yuka and Jason have now a collection of talented headcases to train, mentor, and manage. Let's see if they can be miracle workers who impart consistency to their very special students.

Custom Title
    Jeremy explains his CC participation and his preparation for Worlds:

Video on Jeremy's Facebook. Scroll down.

Thanks for the link.

I can't imagine what Jeremy thinks he learned from that event, except, land your jumps or you're toast.

It would be cool as anything if Jeremy could pull off that beautiful lullaby music. But it must be hard to jump to. Nothing to get your blood pumping.

Custom Title
    I just watched Alissa's FS again and I'm pretty certain she was going for an upgraded technical content. Her opening 2axel was intended to be "bigger" than her usual 2axel. I think she was going for a 2axel/3toe and that messed up her timing. She lost all her confidence and wathever was planned after that just went down the drain. This was just a test skate for her. Whaterver new jumping layout they were considering is clearly not going to happen. So she'll get back to her comfort zone at worlds and will hope for the best.

Custom Title
    That's actually a relief to hear, Puchi. If she was trying something out of her comfort zone in a low-stakes competition (low-stakes except that it's giving her fans heart palpitations and quivers), then that's a smart tactic, and it might not reflect her level of success at Worlds. From our mouths to God's ear. Thanks for being so brave and going back to watch Alissa's program with an analytic eye.

Custom Title
    That doesn't explain why she had messy landings on all her jumps. It isn't a good thing if one misstep at the beginning of the program cascades to the extent that everything fails.

Custom Title
    A test jump at a low stakes test event should not mess up her confidence and all her jumps. OTOH, she messed up big time at the club send off as well.

The alternate twin theory works as well as any in depth analysis.

Custom Title
    Infidels! Alissa is gonna prove all those who are writing her off wrong!

For some reason I still keep the faith in her doing fine at worlds.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast