Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Challenge Cup

Custom Title
    Yes, she messed up at the club sendoff and then didn't skate well at Nationals.

Her Challenge Cup skate was much worse than the club sendoff skate. That doesn't bode well for Worlds. ISU judges aren't going to give her the breaks and PCS cushion the US judges did.

^ Well, the interviewer did everything she could to get something out of her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    She's actually really talkative in that video Alissa seems to express a lot with her smile and facial expressions. Has anyone, as a fan, ever been able to really talk to her?

Custom Title
    Whether or not it's a put on bravado, he doesn't seem to let poor performances and result get him down.
    I would think that is related to many years of sports psychology sprinkled with a bit of media training.

Custom Title
    One wonders if Alyssa would have ever gone to an event like the Challenge Cup so close to world's if this were the Olympics. Remember how every dropped out of 4ccs to go to the Olympicsi n Vancouver. Ditto for Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    She's actually really talkative in that video Alissa seems to express a lot with her smile and facial expressions. Has anyone, as a fan, ever been able to really talk to her?
    I have "met" Alissa several times as a fan. She is very nice and friendly. But our conversations were all pretty much like this: "I like your La Vie en Rose program." "Thank you." "Good luck at Worlds." "Thank you."

Some people are ill at ease in situations like that (Sasha Cohen) and some are shy (Kristi Yamaguchi as an amateur). Two skaters who are really good at "working the room" at a meet and greet are Tanith Belbin and Michael Weiss.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    One wonders if Alyssa would have ever gone to an event like the Challenge Cup so close to world's if this were the Olympics. Remember how every dropped out of 4ccs to go to the Olympicsi n Vancouver. Ditto for Jeremy.
    4cc 2010 was impossible for an Olympian to attend, especially the non Asians, as it was held at the end of January in Korea when the Olympics was about to begin on February 12 in Vancouver. Europe is relatively easy for a N American to travel to, almost the same distance as a transcontinental trip.

I'd like to think it was the kindness of the Olympians to leave some consolation prizes for the lesser skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I think Puchi (post 41) is on the right track as far as team Alissa's strategy this year. If Alissa is seriously going to contend for the world championship she has to upgrade her technical content to include a triple Lutz triple toe, or at least a double Axel triple toe. I think her first element was supposed to be her 2A/3T attempt. When it failed, she just wasn't able to get her legs under her the rest of the program.

Now I think (again agreeing with Puchi) that Jason and Yuka will say, OK, plan A didn't work, let's go on to plan B. Do what jumps you can, spin pretty, and hope for the best.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I have "met" Alissa several times as a fan. She is very nice and friendly. But our conversations were all pretty much like this: "I like your La Vie en Rose program." "Thank you." "Good luck at Worlds." "Thank you."

Some people are ill at ease in situations like that (Sasha Cohen) and some are shy (Kristi Yamaguchi as an amateur). Two skaters who are really good at "working the room" at a meet and greet are Tanith Belbin and Michael Weiss.
    I'll definitely agree about Tanith (Weiss is cool, too) She, and surprisingly Sarah Hughes...they both put me completely at ease. It's just like talking to your good friend.

As for Kristi Y, I went to one of her book signings last week and she was friendly as well (although since it was an "autograph table" format, of course not much time to do anything else other than quick sign and perhaps a picture). I expected to be nervous (autograph tables really do me in!) but I actually wasn't...maybe I'm finally getting used to it Maybe taking photos helped with that a bit...

Back to Czisny though- saw her once at a post-show M&G at SOI. MM is right, she's really friendly...by the time she got to our table though, I was admittedly a bit overwhelmed by the moment- but you know, she offered to sign my stuff (I would have asked, but I couldn't say anything) then I finally came to my senses and told her I enjoyed her that night, and she said thank you. (Think I also took a picture with her). Had it been someone more reserved, it definitely would have been more awkward...

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    ...then I finally came to my senses...
    Shizuka Arakawa once said, about her free skate at 2004 Worlds, IIRC, "Blanking out was a good thing. By the time I came to my senses I was halfway through my program.

Down With It
    Shizuka Arakawa once said, about her free skate at 2004 Worlds, IIRC, "Blanking out was a good thing. By the time I came to my senses I was halfway through my program.
    Perhaps it would be nice if certain skaters would have the good fortune of "blanking out" at Worlds *cough*Czisny*cough*

That wasn't even the first time such a moment happened to me, though. I remember the first M&G I ever went to- an SOI pre-show in 2009 I think, and it was really awesome (you can probably check the archives for full report) but nerve-wracking at the same time. It was the final skater I went to (Sasha Cohen) and the moment just hit like a ton of bricks. She was kinda standoffish too, that added to the anxiety I was feeling. Keep in mind this was my first time meeting skaters in person.

You just don't know how you will feel in a particular situation until you find yourself in the middle of it...
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-18-2012 at 03:18 PM.

^ I know. And if we feel nervous just meeting a famous skater, think how they must feel going out to skate in front of thousands of people, a row of television cameras, and a panel of mean judges!

Down With It
    ^ I know. And if we feel nervous just meeting a famous skater, think how they must feel going out to skate in front of thousands of people, a row of television cameras, and a panel of mean judges!
    Most interesting to me is that numerous skaters say they feel MORE nervous watching their peers skate than they are themselves (I guess it's a control thing).

For me personally, it wasn't so much nervousness as it was simply an "OMG moment", as in "I've seen these people on TV for years and here I am, actually talking to them!" It's realization of that moment, I think, that causes these "blankouts". Thinking about it too much, essentially. And there is no warning.
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-18-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Custom Title
    Did Alissa's LP dress get a few more layers to the skirt here?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast