Kwan Sole Inductee to the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame | Golden Skate

Kwan Sole Inductee to the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame

And she did it without Dick Button's vote! :)

Now that we have a longer perspective on Michelle's career, her accomplishments seem even more astonishing. :love:

You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. :cry:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Why does there have to be one? The older people nonimated were just as amazing. And given how it is not a world hall of fame but in reality American, it doesn't matter much to all who read Dick's letter. I don't see what you are smiling about MM seeing how crooked it is.

Michelle isn't gone. All her years of skating are on youtube, and while you can't see her compete anymore, she used up all she had before she gave up, as she did not want to finish off the podium. I am not happy at all because the process is so crooked Dick Button tried to inform everyone. The insiders all know this. Why should their be one inductee?? It would have been much nicer to see Rudy Galindo with Michelle in San Jose. He was a champion against all odds. Michelle had every advantage every step of the way, and while I am a fan, there are many being forgotten by this process. It would be nicer, kinder to let older nomines feel some glory before they die. MK only quit in 2006.

Cry for the ones who were never so heavily favored. Even you said the 6.0's were all about love and not perfection. "Should have been 5,9." While I loved most of MK's skating, I feel bad for those long forgotten, who are not of the modern era. Dick loved MK, but he remembers all those others around the world and has far more perspective than we fans of MK.

Given his letter, I see this as popularity judging and American influence judging and short memory judging. If the process is as flawed and biased as he said, the result doesn't mean much to me. Much like flawed judging on rep or "best liked" skater winning an event over a lesser known skater. It just shows what a small club it is. And it is in this case rather unfair.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, she is simply the best. And I dont say that lightly cause I am a big Yu-Na fan.
But she is more than a wonderful skater. She has done so much for the sport and has
presented herself as a lady and a great person. She is someone who you would love to sit down
and have a beer with, unlike a number of skaters who will remain anonymous at this time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do think Michelle earned her spot in the Hall of Fame. I can't say she earned her spot as an ambassador - that is because she is a star but there a lot of other international studies students or graduates who deserved such a plum post but she is Michelle Kwan great skater - albeit choked a bit at the Olympics and faded off the podium literally

Now that we have a longer perspective on Michelle's career, her accomplishments seem even more astonishing. :love:

I agree. If you look at her career in terms of length, consistency, and how she moved audiences, she is a standout. And as Chris says, she seems like a person of decency. The fact that she was able to bow out at Torino in time to give Emily a chance to travel shows both generosity and maturity.

I would like to see some of the earlier skaters, coaches, and so on honored as well, of course. We came up with a good list on one of the other threads, people who merit inclusion in an international hall of fame such as this one claims to be.

Skater Boy, since Michelle's role in the State Department is unpaid (she's not an actual ambassador) and was created for her, I don't think her "earning" of it is an issue. Her very status as a well-known and admired young person gives her a special attraction to young audiences. In the same vein, YuNa Kim, with no negotiating experience, was given a central role in promoting South Korea's Winter Olympics bid--and it was a wonderful decision to include YuNa in that delegation. It's the very celebrity of these two ladies that has made them useful.

As for "fading off the podium," well, time passes, and a ten-year-international career where she was (I believe) continuously on the podium for eight of those years is pretty impressive and also rare. Nothing lasts forever, and I don't think it reflects badly on Michelle's quality that she came in fourth in her last year of international competition.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I doubt Michelle drinks beer, and I doubt you'd get the time unless you are someone important. Her wish to live in DC and hang around the power brokers says a lot. She must not see our government with much clarity, but when you are on first name basis with the other millionaires and Mr. and Mrs. Obama, DC is just one big expensive party. LA and DC are filled with the same kind of people. The skater is one thing, but do you really think we know the person? I don't see a person who is an idealist and wants to change a terribly broken system. I see someone who wants to be where the action and excitement is. There is an old saying and it might make some angry (MK is a beautiful woman imho )_always looks stunning) that" Politics is show business for ugly people." Cruel? It's very much show business in the days of TV and the winners often look like movie stars. Actually, people vote for good looking candidates over average men. Most of us Americans of any age are completely disgusted with what our government, our Congress has allowed, in fact planned, for the demise of America. Really, what does she want to do with these envoy positions? It is someone being used for their celebrity? A little trip here and there, using her Chinese a bit? I have yet to hear what she wants to do with her degrees. maybe some kwanophile can fill me in. The real work is done by the no ones who toil away for pennies in the congressman's office-one of the non-millionaires. I'll bet non one knows my congressman. He isn't rich, and he is disgusteed. I pray he does not quit, as a champion for those with no voice will be lost, and so few are left there.

It is always a mistake to think you know a celebrity, because what we know is a crafted image in most cases. She seems a good, decent woman, very lucky, blessed beyond 99.5% of humanity, but MK as one of the gang having a beer with the simple folk? I don't think so. What we do know is that she was a gifted skater, who worked hard, had incredible parents who made all her success possible. She was one of the best competitors to have lived and she was driven to get an OGM. She never did, which made her stay in and she says it wasn't about the medals, but clearly, that is not entirely ringing true. She never said a wrong word and she was loved for being gracious in her loss to Tara. But what many people don't know is she was guided by an honorable and very truthful man named Frank Carroll. He sat her down after Nagano, and said 'M, a lot of people are going to tell you for the rest of your life you were robbed, but it won't be the truth. You skated very well. But Tara skated better." And the man who always said 'You are the best skater in the world' told her the truth. And that is why she accepted it so well. How many coaches get into these Halls? I hope Frank is or will be one day. He could have been upset about Fratianne or MK and acted like Mishin or Irina's federation. But he chose to be honest. I think MK the luckiest girl in the world to have Danny Kwan for a dad and Frank for a coach. He obviously loved and protected her greatly, even when she hurt him very much. He is a sweet person (from my town) and a class act just like Brian Orser. I hope Brian is already in WHOF.

Last edited:
You're so right about Michelle's good fortune in having Frank Carroll for a coach and also for having those particular parents. All three of them taught her good behavior and good sportsmanship, and they also gave her confidence. Just compare her with some of the skaters (some of whom were champions) who felt driven by one or both parents and never truly enjoyed their competitive careers. Michelle, on the other hand, seemed to feel at ease in her situation.

Carroll was a lucky break for Michelle in another way. He taught her correct technique from an early age. He didn't push her along with "substitute" jumping technique but rather instructed her meticulously. So she didn't have to unlearn anything when she grew taller and wasn't a light little jumping bean anymore. Her jumps were never the highest, but they were well executed. And her blade skills were always beautiful. Was it you, skateluvr, or was it Nadine maybe, who once said that Michelle could reach the center of the rink in just a few strokes. That's Frank Carroll's work.

heyang

Record Breaker
Both Brian and Frank are long time members of the WORLD Figure Skating Hall of Fame. There are many non-US skaters inducted, as well. There have also been years where only a single inductee has been voted in.

http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/WHOF.htm

On Ice Network there is a video of MK's US Hall of Fame induction speech. She thanks Brian, Frank, Lori, and her parents, fans ,etc for their support. While Frank may wonder why she decided to leave him, they are on good terms - he mentioned during an interview that they share a birthday meal together.

Last edited:
Michelle has been and continues to be an inspiration to many young people around the world. Her performances touched the hearts of thousands (and still do, via you tube. I just checked: 2003 worlds LP, 400,000 views; Tosca U.S. Nationals, 500,000 views. :) )

Michelle is not responsible for bad people in politics.

(Tosca, 500,001 views. ;) )

Soon to be 500,002!

By the way, Mathman, and all others who are interested in such things, happy Pi Day--at least in those countries that style dates with the month first. It's 3/14 today, and at 1:59 A.M. and/or P.M., it was 3/14, 1:59. We celebrate it at our office.

Heyang, thanks for the alert about Michelle's video on Ice Network. I'll check it out.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
No, she is not, but what is it she sees for herself, her country in Washington, DC at this time? What are her goals? What role does she see for herself? How does she view America? I like rabble rousers who make a difference. What and who is Michelle Kwan at 31? Someone who will bask in the glow of her fame? Someone who has some great passion for Chinese American relations? Does she passionately want to do something about human rights abuses? THis is a young woman who has been the star of the show and then went to school. She is likely more like a 22 or 23 year old. She has seen the world-from expensive hotels and limos, even, walked the redcarpet, sat front row with other LA celebs at Lakers games.

Besides the fact that lots of her friends moved to DC, why is she there? I'm sorry I think it is going to be rather superficial, what she does. A rich young chinese -american superstar goes to Washington. Why? Michelle has not said one controversial un pc thing in her life. Does DC need more young people to wear pearls, smile in photos as she gets govt paid trips to China. I if I were able, and if I had her bully pulpit, would want to do something very important to change the lives of Americans in need. But how in touch is a superstar figureskater with closets full of Vera Wang who has been a millionaire since her teen years with America? I see this as another glam position for a very glam girl. We know MK the skater completely. I just would like to know her world view, her goals at this stage. I think someone might know, but she maybe is just a beginner in "real life."

I see Yuna Kim in a similar light. Both these skaters will be captives of the fame/glamour of their money, success, the glam sport. I listened to her HOF speech. She "loves the glamour" of FS. I contrast her with an OGM who left the spotlight and did little with her celebrity-Sarah Hughes. Sarah does not seem to have a clear career path/goal at this point. But she seemed very unimpressed with herself. She once stated "I won an OGM when i was a teenager but it was time to move on, do something else." Sarah doesn't seem like she wants the spotlight and really didn't exploit her fame much. I think she is seriously trying to find her way.

I guess I see MK as enamored of the center stage and powerful people. She could use her fame to make a real difference in what happens in China. But I think whatever she does in C is still about Michelle. I am intrigued, and think she like Yuna could really become people who cause change-for the best-but I don't see either girl willing to make waves. Why, I gess, is she in DC? Her future will be about monetary success I feel, and a position where a light shines on her. But of what real importance? I guess I don't have the words to ask the question right--What is her goal at 31 now embarking on a "career" in Washington? We have enough famous posers. As for DC, I will say that the most brilliant, hopeful, idealistic people go there to change what is so corrupt, but usually, they themselves just become a part of the culture.

lcd

Match Penalty
Umm..... wow. Sole inductee? Really? Not undeserved, but STILL... kinda' wow.

Skateluvr, while I don't think we can fault people in Michelle's and YuNa's positions for staying within the lines, I admire your passion for making things better! I am reminded of something wonderful that folksinger Pete Seeger once said: indignation is a form of love.

As for the path Michelle has chosen I'm in favor of giving her the benefit of the doubt about what she will eventually choose to do with her fame and record of achievement. Meanwhile, we can honor celebrities who do manage to find a way to help out (and keep in mind that some of these folk started a bit late, as they learned more about life). I've kept a large and disorganized list for years. Of course skaters like Scott and Kristi, both as individuals and as part of Stars on Ice, are on the list. Ditto Michael Weiss, for his work in helping to finance aspiring skaters. Good old Bill Gates, who for years was just an oblivious rich guy, has now become one of the most effective philanthropists on the planet. (Many attribute his growth in this area to his wife, Melinda.) Orlando Bloom, a fave of mine, is active in several charities and is an honorary ambassador for UNICEF. George Clooney has personally traveled to Sudan to keep an eye on the events there. (Talk about an action hero!) Audrey Hepburn spent her last years doing relief work for the UN. Sean Penn has done grueling humanitarian work in Haiti since the earthquake. Less well known but socially prominent was a woman named Judy Peabody, a member of an exalted family who was one of the premiere AIDS activists for over twenty years. So take heart. A lot of people are hard at work, and maybe Michelle will join them one day.

Michelle has finished her short program. Not bad, not bad at all.

Her long program has just begun. I can't wait to see how it unfolds! :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Michelle has finished her short program. Not bad, not bad at all.

Her long program has just begun. I can't wait to see how it unfolds! :)

cute, very cute. I hope, Olympia, she can find her way to what the caring crusaders in DC try to do, and doesn't get caught up in the glam. China certainly has no patent on human rights abuses and treatment of girl children, but wouldn't it be wonderful if her family made her realize that the American dream brought them here, and that she cares about how much we have lost? I hope with all the fame and money she is in touch with serving people in some capacity in her Long Program. I can remember being 12 years old (I read every magazine that came in to our house, about 17 I recall) and dreamt of addressing the UN over issues in China. My mother made me feel guilty if i did not eat all my food, as there were "starving children in China!") I don't recommend her guilt methods, but what did I become? A social worker!

My hope is always that it takes just one amazing person to hugely change the world for the better. We so desperately need people to use their power for the betterment of all in this country. Things are very dismal for so many, and the trends are so disheartening. Thanks for reminding me of the celebrities who actually use it for the good of others.:)