Kwan Sole Inductee to the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kwan Sole Inductee to the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks Mathman for the link to Button thread (hehe) Heyang will find it most illuminating and I thank Dick for being a trailblazer in every aspect of skating. Sometimes he can be caustic but he was the best guide we had, a historian, and unafraid to say unpopular truths. He truly loves skating.

I agree MK followed her heart and did well skating, leaving great performances. While I was happy re USHOF news, it is sad to hear what Dick explained about non-existent world hall of fame. Seems like Dr larry runs the show and he wanted Mk this year. I would have preferred the old, nearly forgotten, get glory this year. MK could wait. How rare is it to get solely indutced to both halls same year? Sorry OP, no offense or rain on your parade. Have you read the Button expose of the FSHOF? required reading.

Sugar crash, to be continued to clarify.

How rare is it to get solely indutced to both halls same year?

I think only once before, Scott Hamilton in 1990.

But there have been many years that only one person was elected to the World Hall of Fame. Belousova and Protopopov, 1978; Herma Szabo (one of only four ladies in figure skating history to win five or more worlds championships. The others are Sonia Henie, Carol Heiss, and Michelle Kwan :) ); Scott Hamilton, 1990; John Curry, 1991; James Koch, 1994; Janet Lynn, 2001 (interesting -- she never won a world or Olympic championship, but was one of the best-loved staters of all time); Maribel Vinson-Owen, 2002; Frank Carroll, 2007; Tatiana Tarasova, 2008; and Nobuo Sato, 2010.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I am so proud of her! First she's the sole inductee into the US Hall of Fame and now she's the sole inductee into the World Hall of Fame...in her first year eligible and rightly so!

Everyone knows what kind of skater Michelle was in the US, but her string of consecutive world appearances and medals is nothing short of stunning, especially when you see how the world medalists tend to change and rearrange every single year nowadays. To have that many strong performances at worlds is incredible and is a testament to the longevity and consistency that personifies Michelle Kwan. Five gold (1996, 1998, 2000, 2001 & 2003), three silver (1997, 1999 & 2002), one bronze (2004) and two 4th place finishes (1995, 2005) over the course of a decade...remarkable and untouchable.

Michelle is such a blessing and I'm SO proud to have witnessed all of those moments (good and bad) throughout her amazing career. Congratulations to the KWEEN!! First the US hailed the KWEEN...and now the world shall hail the KWEEN!!

heyang

Record Breaker
Thanks Mathman for the link to Button thread (hehe) Heyang will find it most illuminating and I thank Dick for being a trailblazer in every aspect of skating. Sometimes he can be caustic but he was the best guide we had, a historian, and unafraid to say unpopular truths. He truly loves skating.

I agree MK followed her heart and did well skating, leaving great performances. While I was happy re USHOF news, it is sad to hear what Dick explained about non-existent world hall of fame. Seems like Dr larry runs the show and he wanted Mk this year. I would have preferred the old, nearly forgotten, get glory this year. MK could wait. How rare is it to get solely indutced to both halls same year? Sorry OP, no offense or rain on your parade. Have you read the Button expose of the FSHOF? required reading.

Sugar crash, to be continued to clarify.

Hey, I love Dick Button and miss his commentary. I learned a lot from the guy, but missed that thread as I don't view every thread. He certainly has some valid points about the hall of fame, but I don't think he's saying that those inducted don't deserve to be there - rather that there are several people missing. As mentioned in other responses, MK's sole induction is NOT unique. The induction itself IMHO is deserved and it's a shame that others who deserve to be inducted haven't been.