Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why is China not a power in all disciplines

Why is China not a power in all disciplines

They have the state sponsored schools, many perfect sized people who'd love to train, so money or talent is not a problem. They have produced great pairs teams with one being legendary against big, big odds. Is it a matter of a bit more time? The methods and their willingness to put their best gymnasts out there young shows they want to dominate in whatever sport they can. Why has it been so long since the stunningly gifted Chen Lu? Perhaps skate Gods want more humanitarian policies in life and training before Chaina takes all the metals (misspellling intended_

Banned
    Pairs is where they have had success developing numerous good teams so that is where they continue to focus their efforts. Lu Chen was their only good women by a long ways, the rest they have produced stunk, like in Lillehammer 94 Olympics for instance they had 3 Chinese due to her, but the other 2 fought for the final position into the long program placing 24th and 25th (only the top 25 moved on), and they should thank Susan Humprhies for falling on a double lutz or else both would have been out. There wasnt a chain to filter one to the next, and motivate a group it seems. They had a few jumping bean men but they never developed the package, skating skills, spins, or anything much besides jumps and ok choreography at times to be top contenders. They seem to have given up the fight there for now. Dance is the hardest for most new power countries to even try and tackle.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    How many towns have ice rinks? That might be an important issue. China does not have a big tradition of ice hockey, speed skating, curling, or broomball after all, so it isn't like every sizable town would just have a rink.

Banned
    the spread of wealth, its not only China, even other countries are not a power in all disciplines
    USA - has strong ladies, men and ice dance but weak pairs
    Russia - has strong ladies, ice dance, pairs but weak men
    Canada - has strong men, ice dance and pairs but weak ladies
    Japan - has strong men and ladies but weak ice dance and pairs

its the same as other sports, like in artistic gymnastics and trampoline China is a power
    but in another gymnastics discipline China has zero success rate in rhythmic gymnastics
    I think culture plays a role too in what discipline or social changes your country can be successful

I don’t think China will dominate in all four disciplines in figure skating esp. ice dancing which is an extension of western ballroom dancing . It is not realistic. Even Japan, where fs is very popular, could not dominate in all four disciplines.

In my personal opinion, one of the reasons as Doris has pointed out, is the lack of skating tradition and access to resources. If I recall correctly, sounds like the training rinks are all northern located particularly in Harbin? Children will have to train away from homes and I think many families may not be agreeable unless they see a future in skating for their children.
    China may now have a larger middle-class but wealth is not well spread out unlike western countries like USA, Canada and Europe so access to western sports and dance may still be limited to many.

I see USA, Russia and Canada having a higher chance of dominating all four disciplines because skating is still very much a western (cold country) sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Russia - has strong ladies, ice dance, pairs but weak men
    Russian men had 4 out of last 5 OGM....

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    True.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Pairs is where they have had success developing numerous good teams so that is where they continue to focus their efforts. Lu Chen was their only good women by a long ways, the rest they have produced stunk, like in Lillehammer 94 Olympics for instance they had 3 Chinese due to her, but the other 2 fought for the final position into the long program placing 24th and 25th (only the top 25 moved on), and they should thank Susan Humprhies for falling on a double lutz or else both would have been out. There wasnt a chain to filter one to the next, and motivate a group it seems. They had a few jumping bean men but they never developed the package, skating skills, spins, or anything much besides jumps and ok choreography at times to be top contenders. They seem to have given up the fight there for now. Dance is the hardest for most new power countries to even try and tackle.
    Sad but sort of funny story. I ran into Susan Humphries grandfather at McDonald's once and he was talking about her. I didn't know who she was originally and then remembered reading about her in some book. And all I could think about my knowledge of her was "Wasn't she the skater who cost Canada a shot at the olympics because she fell on an easy jump and wouldn't give her spot to someone else who was healthier? I can just see spiky go oh how mean. I felt bad. Because wasn't she part of when Canada often had two decent ladies? - Chouinard, Humphries, Preston et al???? I also ran into the ice princess acidentally when I opened the door to a bathroom that wasn't locked and there was the ice princess on the throne (blush). I guess you have to laugh. On a serious note I think she is very happily married. It's nice how everythign works out It's odd because usually I run into American skaters if anyone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    I know that,
    I'm talking about the current status of FS disciplines in each countries

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Sad but sort of funny story. I ran into Susan Humphries grandfather at McDonald's once and he was talking about her. I didn't know who she was originally and then remembered reading about her in some book. And all I could think about my knowledge of her was "Wasn't she the skater who cost Canada a shot at the olympics because she fell on an easy jump and wouldn't give her spot to someone else who was healthier? I can just see spiky go oh how mean. I felt bad. Because wasn't she part of when Canada often had two decent ladies? - Chouinard, Humphries, Preston et al???? I also ran into the ice princess acidentally when I opened the door to a bathroom that wasn't locked and there was the ice princess on the throne (blush). I guess you have to laugh. On a serious note I think she is very happily married. It's nice how everythign works out It's odd because usually I run into American skaters if anyone
    Well it was the 97 Worlds where she skated unhealthy and cost Canada a spot at the Olympics. The thing is though she would have 24th in the short, she was amazingly placed there ahead of Lu Chen who also had 2 major mistakes yet was placed behind. She just had to complete the LP and she would have gotten Canada a spot in Nagano. Why the heck not just go out there, even if she only does 3 singles jumps and poses and shakes her booty for the rest. Maybe she will get 1.7s or something, but she still would stay in 24th and give Canada a spot in Nagano, for herself or someone else. I never understand how skaters who only need to complete a LP to secure something dont. If she was able to land a triple toe and attempt a triple lutz in the short program, she was well enough to muster something for the long. Yes she probably should have withdrawn altogether. All around bad form on her part. Overall her career is enigmatic to say the least.

I am glad to hear she is doing well now though.

I agree with you on the stand out there for 4:10 to maintain your rank. I have a friend who had a leg injury (male skater) and he basically skated around on the good leg for the length of his program just to qualify for Nationals (there were either 2 or 3 guys in the group, top 4 make Nationals...). By Nationals he was healthy and ended up on the podium...

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I know that,
    I'm talking about the current status of FS disciplines in each countries
    Russian men just won the #1 and #2 spots at the European Championships. They won a medal at the past Olympics and the past World Championships. It can't be said that they have weak men.

Ice Dance is the weakest discipline for Russia right now.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 03-09-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Banned
    ^

Pluschenko is an excemption and of all their current men , they only have Gachinski and he is still inconsistent
    sure he got bronze at 2011 Worlds but he still needs to repeat that to show that it was not a fluke .

I think Gachinski has never won a medal during his junior competitions.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    How is Plushenko an exemption? He is a Russian male figure skater (despite attempts to paint him as either a God or a Devil).

I think Gachinski has never won a medal during his junior competitions.
    Pretty much completely irrelevant...and that isn't even true anyway! Gachinski was on the podium at 2010 Junior Worlds and won many medals, including gold, at Junior Grand Prix competitions.

Banned
    Gachinski is a long shot at best to medal at Worlds, even if he skates his best he wont medal unless others bomb, and who knows if Plushenko will be able to come back at all from yet another (two) surgeries. The European men are weak to begin with, far below Chan and the top 3 or 4 Japanese, and even Abbott on a good day, and the best European men apart from the Russians all skated really poorly at Europeans this year, so going 1-2 at Europeans isnt even a big deal.

I agree Russia is weak in both dance and mens right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast