Gold at worlds: Virtue/Moir or Davis/White? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gold at worlds: Virtue/Moir or Davis/White?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Good one. The correct designation for the federation in question is Skate Canada (or SC), is it not?

And while you might like to think D&W's PCS are off (and might mark them differently), when you read what is actually in the rules for grading PCS (and what is not), their PCS grades are pretty much correct.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Wrestle-with-Ice-Dancing-PCS-Rules&highlight=

We hashed this out in detail in the above thread. If someone would like to discuss this some more, I'll bring the thread back from the archive, because it has all the rules typed out, with video examples to illustrate.

And, if anyone would like, I can go through the rules for Technical marks the same way.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Chan hasn`t said anything really controversial lately aside from that out of context article in a chinese newspaper the judges are 100% in his corner he can win competitions whith three or four falls so he doesn`t really have to complain about anything.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Wrestle-with-Ice-Dancing-PCS-Rules&highlight=

We hashed this out in detail in the above thread. If someone would like to discuss this some more, I'll bring the thread back from the archive, because it has all the rules typed out, with video examples to illustrate.

And, if anyone would like, I can go through the rules for Technical marks the same way.
It would be great if you'd do that for the technical marks, and if there's any way both could be permanently available as stickies, I'd be very grateful. That thread was a wonderful reference. There have been times when I thought of doing your "tutorial" but could not remember where it was. Thank you!!

Dragonlady

Final Flight
The CSA has tried hard to not only politik harder behind the scenes (reflective in things such as Chan's scores) but to promote homophobia, thrash talking, butch acting, griping about judging, and in your face attitude to its skaters. After the 2008 season all mens skaters that were viewed as either possibly gay or effiminate in anyway were pushed to retire, hence the number of surprise retirements that off season. This is reflected in the disturbing attitudes and behavior of Patrick Chan, Scott Moir, even people like the international journeywomen Cynthia Phaneuf and her sense of entitlement and moaning she should have been named to Worlds even after a poor season and losing Nationals (when she should have been gleeful for a skate off). The hilarious thing is the CSA is seeing their TV ratings and audience numbers lower and lower to the point of the sport becoming irrelevant in Canada despite their success, with their new "philosophy".

Thank you for the funniest post of the year so far. Skate Canada has not been promoting homophobia, Chan & Moir's attitudes are harding "disturbing", and all I got out of Cynthia's remarks were her disappointment in not making the team. The audience numbers are holding their own and live events are pretty close to sold out.

I think what Pangtongfan's post was referring to was this controversy. Here is how it was reported in the United States. (In this article it's more Elvis Stojko than Skate Canada officials, but still... : ) )

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=7473728&page=1#.T2Pa_VF5nHh

As i recall, the sequence of events was that Skate Canada came out with a plan to emphasize to the media the macho-ness of men's figure skating. When a gay backlash occurred, Skate Canada was forced to retreat to the position, no, no, all groups are welcome in figure skating -- it's just the frilly lacy sequined costumes that we don't like.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I remembered that business too-I just couldn't find the article. In fact, was that about the time that Skate Canada was so adamant about costumes that we ended up with V&M dancing to Pink Floyd at Worlds in what looked like black practice suits instead of having Tessa in the really great dress she had for 4CC's and Canadian Nationals?

There were definitely some strange edicts coming out at about that time.

As to Scott, I swear he watches too much hockey.
He reminds me of the Canadian fans that cheered wildly at their TV sets when Bobby Clarke broke Valeri Kharlamov's ankle on purpose during the Canada / USSR hockey series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOMJsJhHlyM
Hockey fandom is less restrained than figure skating fandom in a lot of ways.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
As a canadian i found are attitude during the summit series with the soviets a disgrace, the soviets would have never pulled a stunt like that on say Guy lafleur in fact they truly admired him, Scott seems to be from the Don Cherry school of hockey.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was appalled at the time, but we were watching the series in northern Vermont where we lived back then, not in Canada.

Recently, one of the ESPN's broadcast a retrospective on the series. The program had been produced by a Canadian network. They interviewed the players from both teams, now so much older, and fans who had watched the game at the time from both countries. It was fascinating. And they interviewed Bobby Clarke who was still happy he broke Kharlamov's ankle, (which did not surprise me), but what did surprise me was the fans, who still seemed to be happy about Clarke breaking Kharlamov's ankle. I'm sure that many Canadian fans were equally appalled, but the official retrospective did not interview those fans.

Hockey fans are a tough bunch.

If Clarke were an ice skater who had someone try to break the leg of a rival, or if he were even suspected of being involved with an attempt to break the leg of a rival, he would be banned from the sport for life (Tonya Harding).

Skating fans & federations seem to have a significantly different attitude from hockey fans.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I strongly believe that V/M will win, even being somewhat the actual underdog.
The reasons are:
1. They are better dancers able to express deep emotions besides their great technical abilities.
2. Their coaches will try to help them to win. It is very clear, if they won't win even being one of the best dance couple ever with their flawless performance like they did'n last year (which was a shame) they will possibly retire, what nobody wants (especially not the coaches, the audience, but even not the judges).

Last edited by a moderator:

romanoff81

Match Penalty
This is a response to imaginary pogue on the SD for V&M and D&W i disagree there i think V&M latin interpretation is far superior than Davis and White i thought the changes at 4CC started to pay off they got higher PCS than Davis and White, they had on a mistake on the twizzles and the circular step sequence i think if they skate clean at worlds they will be ahead of D&W.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree romanoff; the latin portion for V and M is far superior but that's not what the judges are saying. As technically good as D and W are their PCS epsecially interpretation and choreo with last year's FD was way too generous in my mind. Meryl doesn't have the latin vibe or the hips = you have it or you don't. Heck while V and M are good at latin inspired dances they are no Navka and kosmtorov or Krylova and Oksianikov et al.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I really have no idea what'll happen if V/M skate clean. I'd argue that while aspects of V/M's SD do show off their strong interpretation skills - their sensuality and chemistry, their match and committment to the music, I'd argue that this SD actively hinders them. The music cuts harm the piece. The "temptation" section, with the post-GPF changes, feels rather empty now. The end is both rushed (in order to get the lift in) and distended (to get the pose in). I actually don't mind the fact that they kept all three music selections from the season prior, but at the same time, they wanted to explore it differently, so you lose so much of the effect. I believe V/M have the deeper and richer FD, but unfortunately, but I don't love the SD as much as they .

Honestly, to me the most interesting questions about ice dance this season are: can Russia maintain three spots AND who's the tenth team in the top ten. Two of last year's top ten (Crone/Porier and Chock/Zuerlein) are out. Riazanova/Tkachenko are likely in. So who's the other team? Is it Z/G from Germany - the team that got the first level fours on both sides of the GW last season? Can the number threes from the USA (H/D) or Canada (R/H) get that slot? Maybe an Asian team will finally, finally crak the top ten.

For Russia, the odd placement of C/L around them means they need to be very worried. Right now, the judges are saying that in a clean competition, B/S will place no higher than fifth. The Shibs can probably beat them, but their PCS are lower than the top ranked Russians. But, like I said elsewhere, I/K and B/S are the teams that are likely to make the level error on a step sequence, or lose points in GOE (those blasted twizzles, messy edgework during steps). If the results of the GPF repeat themselves, B/S find themselves sixth and they NEED I/K or R/T to be seventh, and I can easily imagine C/L sneaking in there (recall that C/L lost bronze at Europeans by 0.03.). If so, they lose that third spot. If that happens... well, next season becomes a barnburner for the Russian quintet (these three, Monko/Khalivin and Sinitsina/Zhiganshin).

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Fair enough Imaginary Pogue i still thought Davis and White were overscored in PCS in the SD but i think the scoring dynamic will change at worlds all the changes Tessa and Scott made was a response to the judges reception early on before they faced Davis and White i predict they will skate lights out at worlds and be ahead of Davis and White after that its all she wrote.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK so V/M fans are sure V/M will win, and D/W fans think otherwise. So what else is new?

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I am a fan of neither all i know is Marina Zueva will not allow her prized olympic gold medal pupils to lose twice in a row to their training mates especially since they are healthy now and competed the full season she even said way back in October that she was looking for ``maximum points`` which is code for the most points for V&M`s FD that is why V&M will win unless they have a really bad competition or don`t skate well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
D/W will win I'm fairly certain. I think 4CCs result was a fluke. D/W are clearly the stronger team at this point. V/M are more in line with P/B.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
D/W will win I'm fairly certain. I think 4CCs result was a fluke. D/W are clearly the stronger team at this point.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
D/W will win I'm fairly certain. I think 4CCs result was a fluke. D/W are clearly the stronger team at this point. V/M are more in line with P/B.

That's quite the provocative statement you're making SL.

That said, I find it amusing that anyone can say with any declaration who will win at this point. Also amused at the "retirement/coach switch" talk too.

I think Worlds will be like the St. Louis/Michigan State game today. Both teams will work their hearts out to the point where both have nothing left to give but ultimately there will be a winner when the clock hits 0:00 (of whoever skates last in the FD).

(OT: How about that game, eh? I bet a bunch of you were on the edge of your seats (and worried for your brackets).)