Thread: My Skating Journal

Tripping on the Podium

My Skating Journal

deleted.
    Last edited by thevaliantx; 04-14-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Banned
    love your journal

Keep up the good work!

On the Ice
    Yay, how exciting!

When you get your new skates you might want to wear them around your house a bit. If you have stairs it's good to walk up and down them in your new skates to start breaking them in.

OMG glad no one was hurt too bad in the accident. Please get some sleep!

As for your boots, don't let anyone talk you into boots that don't fit or hurt too much. Are the boots you got heat moldable?

On the Ice
    Oh no sorry about the accident. Car accidents make some people behave rather strangely.

Hope the skates are ok. I totally get your stress. It's kind of like being at the eye doctor having to decide which lense you can see better through.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Or when you are supposed to tell the dentist whether the cap on your tooth fits correctly when your mouth is all numb with novocaine.

It's a shoe stretcher. Kind of like a reversed vice.

4th Time Around
    Be careful on the road! I have multiple sleep disorders so I very rarely have enough sleep. About 20 years ago after a very scary situation, I started making special driving rules for myself, and am a more careful driver than anyone I know. I have not hit other cars, but ironically was hit 4 times between Jan 2011 and Jan 2012.

As far as shimming goes, I'd be afraid of the blade bending.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
    Be careful on the road! I have multiple sleep disorders so I very rarely have enough sleep. About 20 years ago after a very scary situation, I started making special driving rules for myself, and am a more careful driver than anyone I know. I have not hit other cars, but ironically was hit 4 times between Jan 2011 and Jan 2012.

As far as shimming goes, I'd be afraid of the blade bending.

Wow Treesprite...sounds like our van which has been hit 3 times (twice without us in it) and we've owned it about 3 years!

And Valiantx, can't wait for the update once you have tried out your new skates. How exciting. I hope the fitter lady does a good job, they usually do by my experience.

You will have to try them to see if there is an issue. Often the boots soles are a little "off" in terms of length, so if both blades are mounted to the very front edge of the boot, one will go to the end of the boot, the other maybe up to 1/2" in from the back end (at least, that's how it is with my customs - one blade goes to the end, the other is about 1/8" short). She may also have mounted the blades based upon how you stand in your shoes/socks (sometimes a blade needs a tick in or out from midline based on a person's feet).

I think you are doing swizzles at this point and not twizzles...just sayin'

On the Ice
    Sounds like a good first skate on your new skates. Good for you.

Most people have one side weaker than the other. I'm odd because I do everything right handed but jump and spin left handed (my brother is the opposite).

4th Time Around
    I'll take Twizzlers over both swizzles and twizzles! I think that during my past skating life there was no name for what people now call "twizzles", nor terms for some of the other filler moves, nor distinctions like 3s and "power 3s"... we had "power stroking" but no assignment of the word "power" to any other sort of think.

I'm glad you had success with your new skates - must have been a relief after all the worry.

I skate like a left handed person, but I was lucky in my past skating life because my coach also skated that way. I'm somewhat ambidextrous, can even write two different sentences simultaneously.
    Last edited by treesprite; 03-29-2012 at 05:01 AM.