Divas Become Beauties | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Divas Become Beauties

linnylee

Spectator
I so agree about Yuka and Jason--what a wonderful pair they've developed. I love their Burn it Blue number, and isn't Yuka looking radiant.

All in all, I think this was my favorite of the holiday shows, and liked the addition of the men--divas need a chorus line, don't they?

graceness

Rinkside
Divas became beauties

Grgranny said:
Really enjoyed the show. Even enjoyed Katerina somewhat.
Only part I didn't like was the gal that sang Over the Rainbow. Yuk. Nasal. Of course, nothing could beat Judy Garland. Anyone else can't do it justice. Do think that L. Eder is very good. No one else should be able to sing Over the Rainbow but Judy. :laugh:

No one except EVA CASSIDY, that is!! Eva sang the version of "Fields of Gold" to which Michelle skated. Have you heard her rendition of "Over the Rainbow?" It was the number one song in London for months and months. Incredibly beautiful and haunting. A lovely song by a woman who, unfortunately, died in '96 of cancer -she was only in her 30s.

kappa_1

On the Ice
I'm not a huge Witt fan but I have to give credit where it is due, namely her number to Man Of La Mancha it was really rousing, lively and matched perfectly with the singer. It sort of reminded me of Scott Hamilton's pro number to Don Quixote. Did she do a competitive programme to that music once?

I missed Lu's first number , but it was still a joy to see even the last few seconds of it that I caught. She is one of those skaters that I could just watch skate around the rink and still be entertained- she is soooo elegant. I like her spiral, too, which I has improved after her amateur career ended.

I loved to hear all those Bond songs. I think Witt's off ice dancing was a tad stiff though.

This was definitely one of the better pro events though, and I'm happy I didn't pass it over.

Hi, Graceness. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Do you like Patti LaBelle's "Over the Rainbow?"

Mathman:)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hi Grace..........I agree, Eva's "Rainbow" is just as haunting and beautiful as Judy's version.....

I missed about the first fifteen minutes of "Divas" due to a college football game going over its scheduled time. I liked Boitano's special a lot better, but did enjoy seeing "Jumpin Joe" skating again. He's a treat!! 42

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I don't remember if I ever heard Eva sing OTR but do like her and imagine it is very, very good.
The first 15 min was not shown here either and wondered what they left out.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
There's a man who has sung it too. On the 2002 Champions on Ice broadcast, his version was played over the ending credits. Is that the version played on ER too?

Lillehammer 94

Rinkside
The James Bond segment was nice. I only wish it had gone even longer. Just over four decades now of James Bond music soundtracks and the music really is good. Why? Because it covers so wide a range.
Also thought the lighting for this skating show was neat.

As for Katarina Witt, thanks once again for going the lead. Professional skating without leaders such as Boitano and Witt would be at a loss. Remember leadership is also all about working with "difficult" talent. Boitano and Witt (legendary talents themselves) have risen above the "pain-in-the-neck" talents that you find in figure skating as well as for all fields of the performing arts.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just adding my vote to the others that have mentioned Judy Garland! :love:

Yes, ITA that Judy tops them all.........she truly is the original.........Over The Rainbow & Judy Garland are as one (cannot have one without the other & vice versa). By the way, the t.v. special that debuted a couple of years ago entitled "Life With Judy Garland: Me & My Shadows" was superb. A must see. :)^)

I, however, must give a shout out to Andrea McCardle's rendition of this song back in the 80's..........when she played Judy for a television special...........truly special, left me in tears, especially when she sang it on The Johnny Carson Show. Btw, for those that don't know, Andrea McCardle was the first original Annie on Broadway back in the late 70's.........magnificent voice..........however she eventually retired from showbiz to get married & start a family.

***Note: my big brother used to have a crush on Andrea & actually wrote to her and received a signed photo in return. :)^)***

Before I sign off, just wanted to mention something which struck me as odd during this skating special ~ why Oksana wasn't part of the cast of the James Bond Number? I was really looking forward to seeing her and finally realized that she wasn't part of it. However, I justified it by Oksana's also being an Olympic Gold Medalist & therefore Katarina allowed Oksana to do the extra long "Ava Maria" number. JMHO.

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. Here's my own autographed photo of Sarah Hughes, which I received in the mail yesterday after sending it to her in the summer of 2002. :)^)

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1074310052053_signedsarah.jpg

nysk8r

Rinkside
Overall I thought it was a great show, but only one thing bothered me..... Lulu biting her ponytail at the end of her Bond number. Was she hungry or something? :confused:

OT... Nadine,love your pic of Sarah Hughes- did you meet her?

graceness

Rinkside
Divas as beauties

Hi Mathman,

Thanks for the warm welcome from you, and from Grgranny and Show 42, too!

I'm ashamed to say I've not heard Patti LaBelle's rendition of "Over the Rainbow" - I'd better check it out on I-Tunes!

And hello to other Eva fans!

Graceness

Mathman said: Hi, Graceness. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Do you like Patti LaBelle's "Over the Rainbow?"

Linny

Final Flight
Katt choosing title?

Katt choosing the title for her show? Methinks that was entirely up to the Marketing Staff. Guess the word "Diva" is fading from popularity.
Linny

Nadine

Record Breaker
nysk8r said:

OT... Nadine,love your pic of Sarah Hughes- did you meet her?

Thank you for the compliment, nysk8r :) , but Jay Adeff really deserves it b/c I procured the photo from his wonderful site after browsing the net ~ here' the link to his site btw http://www.jayadeff.com And, no, I have not met Sarah Hughes in person nor do I expect or want to......her skating is enough for me.....as is the person whom she is (no lie).

Peace & Love, Nadine

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I never liked the term "Diva" for skaters anyway.