Ladies 2nd Spot | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies 2nd Spot

Which country will get that pesky 2nd (or 3rd) spot?!

• Canada: Amelie Lacoste

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • China: Kexin Zhang

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Estonia: Elena Glebova

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Finland: Juulia Turkkila

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • France: Yretha Silete

• Korea: Minjeong Kwak

• Sweden: Viktoria Helgesson

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • <KEEP 3> Russia: Polina Korebeynikova, Alena Leonova, Ksenia Makarova

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • <GET 3> USA: Alissa Czisny, Ashely Makarova

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • <GET 3> Italy: Carolina Kostner, Valentina Marchei

Votes: 35 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fairly4

Medalist
ihave if figured for japan, and russia to keep three,
usa to get three
and or 3 of the following china to get 2, france to get 2 , sweden to get two and italy to get three.
maybe elene gets two--i not sure.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How embarrassing would it be for the US not to get that 3rd spot but Italy does? :eek:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
How embarrassing would it be for the US not to get that 3rd spot but Italy does? :eek:

Why is it embarrassing? Korea didn't even have anyone else but Yuna who was capable of a top 10 finish. Italy team is way stronger than Korea team. If it wasn't embarrassing then, it shouldn't be now.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Although I think it is absolutely possible for Italy to get 3 spots next year, Marchei hasn't shown good results at worlds before. Her highest finish before was 11th. However, considering that a few skaters are absent this year, she could very well get 11th or higher this year. And if Kostner wins, 12th would be enough.

gioccia

On the Ice
I think USA, Italy, Japan will get 3 spots, Russia - not sure...If Polina gets higher PCS and gives a good programme, Russia will keep the three spots.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason i call it embarrassing is that Italy has had only one real quality skater for the last decade and has no depth at all compared to the US. It would just illustrate the problems that the US has had recently.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Polina may rock the house

I hope so, but I always have to remind myself that she's not even 16 yet. She looks a lot older and skates with a lot more maturity than most 15 year olds, but she's still 15, and making her Worlds debut, so I think nerves will play a factor. At least she does not have to go for 3lz in the SP (and I don't think she plans to, she went for 3f-3t and 3lo at Euros), because that jump is new for her this season and still isn't quite that solid or consistent for her yet. She always seems to skate at least pretty well in the FS, and usually very well, but the key is not to get buried after the SP. Even if she did 3f-2t but was otherwise clean, she'd likely be fine, make the penultimate warmup and then pull up a few slots with a good long, but if she struggles in the SP like she did all this season and has to skate in the first or second warmup for the FS, I'm afraid she'll get a bit hosed for PCS and maybe won't have as much confidence to deliver in the FS and her overall placement might not be so great. I tend to think she'll place ahead of Makarova though,

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I think Italy gets the third spot and USA too. Not so sure for Sweden, Viktorias last competition at Challenge Cup with 142.4 was far worst than Czisny

Viktoria bombed her short at Challenge Cup(I think on trying a 3-3 toe) and did 1-lutz and a 3-toe-fall in FS. She has not done two clean programs this season with her intended tricks. I also think she doesn't get the points she deserves in PCS. At Challenge Cup Free Skate her PCS were 8 less than Alissa's(-1 in skating skills and -1.5 in choreography e.g.). Though Alissa gave an extremely bad performance. So yes, I guess Viktoria has to do her very best to finish top ten. Crossing my fingers though!

If Italy wins three spots, who is their third lady?

I am pretty sure A&A will earn the three spots for US at last :thumbsup:

As will the Russian ladies and the Japanese. It would be nice if China and France could win two spots, while they have more fine talents at home.

The reason i call it embarrassing is that Italy has had only one real quality skater for the last decade and has no depth at all compared to the US. It would just illustrate the problems that the US has had recently.

Embarrasing or not at least I find it strange. US with their figure skating traditions, dominating ladies for so many years, lots of skating clubs, rinks and ponds, summer competitions, top notch coaches and choreographers, great ice shows…….

Last edited: