Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Nagasu

Custom Title

Nagasu

Any news about Mirai, training situation, new programs etc?
    Is there any chance that she might get selected for the World Team Trophy?

Custom Title
    I think Mirai needs to go out and live on her own and become a more mature adult because she seems less mature then someone like Grace Gold at least in how she approaches her skating. The cute act isn't working anymore and she's at a crossroads. She's not considered the future of US skating like she was only a little over a year ago.

Down With It
    I agree it would help Nagasu to make her own decisions about what she wants to do and where she intends to go.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    In fact, I think that's a good idea for anyone. If you're living someone else's dream, it never works that well. If skating successfully is really Mirai's dream, I think she has the tools to attain it. But maybe her goal was to go to Olympics and be US champion. She has achieved both of those goals. When she thinks about it, she might decide it's time to move on. Or not.

Down With It
    ^ true, she really has accomplished a bit if you think about it. US champion, 4th at Olympics (probably should have been bronze medalist IMHO), top 10 at worlds. Unfortunately so far that year seems to have been her peak, and perhaps she's lost the love for skating. Simply reading about her commute made me exhausted (and brought back memories of my own commute I had to make to school a while back, so I can relate in a way). But maybe moving closer isn't enough. She would also need a source of motivation. The state of US ladies' skating has not improved since Vancouver, and Nagasu really COULD be our best if she kept up that level of performance...but if you're not enjoying it any more, a break is necessary.

Custom Title
    Mirai's family doesn't have the money to fund a separate residence for her. She'd have to get a job in order to support herself, and that would take time away from her training.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    (probably should have been bronze medalist IMHO)
    Uh-uh. Joannie nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai's family doesn't have the money to fund a separate residence for her. She'd have to get a job in order to support herself, and that would take time away from her training.
    But they do to drive back and forth 4 hours a day? I think they could swing the money for a room in someone's home...

Custom Title
    Nagasu has to decide what she wants in life. She needs to look at what she has talent, energy, emotional support, financial support even her physical attributes and come up with a game plan to achieve what she wants and when she wants it. This may mean retirement. Pragmatically speaking the driving is expensive and tiresome - inefficient use of time so she has to figure out something. Maybe Frank Carroll isn't the answer anyways. As for the bronze medal sorry folks Mirai was clean but didn't have the power of Rochette or Asada (Rochette almost beat Asada for silver it was close). Mirai also skated to Carmen but lacked the character of Carmen often smiling like a beauty contestant throughout the graceful and lyrical routine - another problem Carmen is power, romance and drama -Mirai's Carmen was another top American skating feminiely, gracefully but not in character. Joannie despite her few tiny glitches had farm more amplitude which translates to GOE's plus though no one noticed her programs were really COP friendly - transitions and all. Still Mirai was wonderful.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Uh-uh. Joannie nailed it.
    Not going there...I stick by my opinion.

Anyway, I'll wait to hear from the Nagasu camp about their next step. I doubt they even know yet.

Custom Title
    I don't think she needs to make any drastic lifestyle changes like moving away from home. She got to the top before living at home, so there's no reason she can't do it again. Moving out isn't going to make her skating more mature; better choreography will. Even with her programs this year, had she been clean she would have medalled at Nationals and likely made the World team. What she loses in commute time she might make up for in the comfort and security of living with her family.

Custom Title
    Mirai has alluded to the fact that her family has extremely high expectations when it comes to her performances, so living at home may bring so much pressure that it more than outweighs 'comfort and security'.

Custom Title
    Mirai hardly put anything into her choreography this season. Yes maybe the programs weren't the best but she skated like a zombie with no fire or passion. The best skaters can take an average program and make something of it.

Custom Title
    The 4 hours she spends in a car daily takes time away from her training and money away from her parents as well though.... she's not in school AFAIK, she'd have time for a job if she lived closer to the rink and wasn't spending all those hours in a car every day. I mean, she'd be busy, but so many skaters are these days doing highschool or college and skating at the same time. Working isn't that uncommon either, especially as a coach, then she could stay at the rink and make money at the same time. Idk. I think she could manage fine. Most skaters train what, 3 or 4 hours a day? If she's not taking college courses, that leaves plenty of time in the day to work.

Custom Title
    Mirai has alluded to the fact that her family has extremely high expectations when it comes to her performances, so living at home may bring so much pressure that it more than outweighs 'comfort and security'.
    If that's the case, I'm sure she would be pressured even more to delivered if her family is accruing the additional cost of housing and training elsewhere. There are, I'm sure, two sides to this story. From the family's perspective, they are making tremendous sacrifices for her skating, and by some accounts she isn't giving it her "all". If she is financially able to make it on her own, and her family's pressure is too much, she would have left. If she is dependent on them financially and wants to leave, she should go to school or find a less expensive hobby. She can't expect not to have pressure to deliver when they are paying for very expensive coaching and she isn't trying her best.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast