Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Nagasu

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    GP points are in the Grand Prix / Junior Grand Prix columns, not in the ISU championship column. Nearly all the top 30 skaters have GP points, but not all of them have ISU championship points, which are awarded only for Euros, 4CC, JW and Worlds. If a skater has competed in multiple ISU championships in a given year, only the HIGHEST points awarded count for that year.

Nagasu is not the only one who will drop. Ando, Kim, Flatt and Tuktamysheva will also take a hit for not having ISU Championship points this season.
    But all columns, isu championship points, GP points, and senior B points count toward both season rankings, and overall rankings. As far as who will take a hit, Ando and Kim will, as they are not competing and will add no points in any category. Tuk won two GP's, and will get lots of points from those events, even if no points from worlds or junior worlds. Mirai will get no isu championship points from 4CC or worlds, but will get points from the 2 GP's and the senior B competition. She will still drop in the world rankings.

Too many Mirai threads saying same thing. Everyone must have a clear picture by now If she still reads here, i hope she knows most wish her well, regardless of what she chooses. I think she might smartly choose to move near Frank or quit. If she can't return to 1 or 2 there is no point to compete unless she is on track for Sochi. She has magic when on and in her zone. Thanks Mirai for your incredible and memorable Olympics in Vancouver. You were fabulous and i thank you for wonderful memory!

Custom Title
    Is Mirai even likely to get 2 GPs next season? With the reduction in spots I fear she might only get one, her SB is not that great and she didn't compete in any ISU championships this season, she'll be behind Ashley, Alissa, and Caroline for spots I think, and possibly Gold too if she decides to do GP. Agnes and Christina will probably only get 1 assignment each I'm guessing, but Mirai might be in that boat as well. Hopefully not.

Down With It
    Well, that's if she even continues next season.

Custom Title
    Not sure I like the term "wasted talent." Talent is only part of the game. We've all seen skaters who didn't have immense talent, but were driven by their own mentality to do what it takes to be a champion. And very good champions they were. On the other hand, some people have talent, but just don't have the single-mindedness and drive necessary to get to and stay at the top. Elite sports is very difficult mentally and somewhat warping of lives. No more than an average talented person can make themselves into a great talent, can a person with great talent make themselves into a person driven to make it to the very top.

For some reason a talented person gets heat for "poor work ethic," "not wanting to win" when they can't muster the stamina and fight to take it to the top, but the averagely talented person with a great work ethic doesn't get hit for not suddenly coming forth with a hidden reserve of talent. A person can't manufacture drive anymore than a person can manufacture talent, but somehow "talent" is considered innate, while the "drive" is considered something readily acquired if one would just try harder. "Drive" is just as innate as talent and can no more easily be acquired.

Mirai could just have misplaced drive. She might really want it, but it is a detractor and distractor for her rather than a motivator and focuser.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Has she hinted that she might not be coming back next season?

I'm just wondering where the retirement idea is coming from? I can't imagine her quitting at this point unless her heart isn't in it anymore and she's ready to move on. I don't sense that from her though. If anything she seems a bit lost to me. But something does need to change if she's going to continue to compete and hopes to improve upon what she did this season. New coach, new choreographer, new training site, new regimen, new attitude...I don't know. Something.

But Mirai can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results...Einstein defined that as insanity, you know.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Is Mirai even likely to get 2 GPs next season? With the reduction in spots I fear she might only get one, her SB is not that great and she didn't compete in any ISU championships this season, she'll be behind Ashley, Alissa, and Caroline for spots I think, and possibly Gold too if she decides to do GP. Agnes and Christina will probably only get 1 assignment each I'm guessing, but Mirai might be in that boat as well. Hopefully not.
    Actually, her season's best of 173 is 4th best among US skaters this year, but that was her only good competition. Last year the US got 14 GP slots, Ashley-2, Agnes-2, Mirai-2, Gao-2, Rachel-2, Czisny-2, Carolin-1, and Forte-1. With Gold coming up, the field gets more crowded. Flatt's plans for next year also play into it.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Actually, her season's best of 173 is 4th best among US skaters this year, but that was her only good competition. Last year the US got 14 GP slots, Ashley-2, Agnes-2, Mirai-2, Gao-2, Rachel-2, Czisny-2, Carolin-1, and Forte-1. With Gold coming up, the field gets more crowded. Flatt's plans for next year also play into it.
    It will also depend on how many of the top 6 at Worlds (whoever they are) will opt to do a third GP. In the 2011-2012 series, Kostner (3rd) and Leonova (4th) did a third event; Alissa (5th) and Mao (6th) did not, and obviously Yuna and Miki did not compete this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    Not sure I like the term "wasted talent." Talent is only part of the game. We've all seen skaters who didn't have immense talent, but were driven by their own mentality to do what it takes to be a champion. And very good champions they were. On the other hand, some people have talent, but just don't have the single-mindedness and drive necessary to get to and stay at the top. Elite sports is very difficult mentally and somewhat warping of lives. No more than an average talented person can make themselves into a great talent, can a person with great talent make themselves into a person driven to make it to the very top.

For some reason a talented person gets heat for "poor work ethic," "not wanting to win" when they can't muster the stamina and fight to take it to the top, but the averagely talented person with a great work ethic doesn't get hit for not suddenly coming forth with a hidden reserve of talent. A person can't manufacture drive anymore than a person can manufacture talent, but somehow "talent" is considered innate, while the "drive" is considered something readily acquired if one would just try harder. "Drive" is just as innate as talent and can no more easily be acquired.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8