Nagasu | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nagasu

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai would have to move far from home to train with Orser. Even if they could afford it, Mirai's parents probably would not give their approval.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would love Orser to train Joannie Rochette and bring her back into fighting form. And they are both Canadians which would be nice:)

b-man

Final Flight
I don't think she needs to make any drastic lifestyle changes like moving away from home. She got to the top before living at home, so there's no reason she can't do it again. Moving out isn't going to make her skating more mature; better choreography will. Even with her programs this year, had she been clean she would have medalled at Nationals and likely made the World team. What she loses in commute time she might make up for in the comfort and security of living with her family.

Agreed, especially if she only goes to Palm Springs twice a week. And her previous rink at Lake Arrowhead wasn't that close either.

b-man

Final Flight
Mirai has alluded to the fact that her family has extremely high expectations when it comes to her performances, so living at home may bring so much pressure that it more than outweighs 'comfort and security'.

Agree with this, but I think Mirai also put a lot of pressure on herself internally, and probably fells pressure from Carroll, whether he intends it or not. Many feel because of reports of poor training habits, Mirai doesn't care about her skating. I remember a post competition interview after 2009 Nats where she was very embarassed after placing a lowly 5th. She vowed never to finish so poorly again. Now she placed 7th, her worst senior Nats ever, and I am sure she is very embarassed again.

I think she believes she trained adequately for Nat's, and still finished poorly, and probably doesn't know what to do next. I watched many of her practices in San Jose, and she certainly appeared prepared. I think it is just the pressure that did her in. An observation, the best competition in 2 years was at 4CC when Frank wasn't at the boards, but his assistant was. Maybe she needs Frank for preparation, but at the venue needs someone who will have her loose, less tense, less nervous.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai's practices at Nationals were perfect and skated with emotion. But when it came time for the performance, all the energy and emotion was gone and she skated like a robot. Mirai CAN do it, but she just doesn't do it when it counts.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mirai's practices at Nationals were perfect and skated with emotion. But when it came time for the performance, all the energy and emotion was gone and she skated like a robot. Mirai CAN do it, but she just doesn't do it when it counts.

Hmm, interesting...thought she pulled it together well at '09 Natls (FS) and again at '10 Natls and Olys...Wonder what has happened since then. She seemed to have at least SOME mental toughness, even if she was no MK in consistency.

Vicky458

On the Ice
Mirai has alluded to the fact that her family has extremely high expectations when it comes to her performances, so living at home may bring so much pressure that it more than outweighs 'comfort and security'.

I witnessed that pressure at Nationals in 2009. Her family did place extreme high expectations. Her mom paid for additional ice time 2or 3 times a DAY!! I could see the frustration on Mirai's face at practice sessions where her mom was discussing the practice with Mirai and at that time her coach Charlene Wong. She cried at almost every session I witnessed.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I witnessed that pressure at Nationals in 2009. Her family did place extreme high expectations. Her mom paid for additional ice time 2or 3 times a DAY!! I could see the frustration on Mirai's face at practice sessions where her mom was discussing the practice with Mirai and at that time her coach Charlene Wong. She cried at almost every session I witnessed.

And she cried before the actual performance too. Wow.

chloepoco

Medalist

Aren't you jumping to conclusions? If you weren't privy to the discussions between Mirai, her mother and her coach, how do you know that her family was placing 'extreme high expectations' on her, or why she was crying?

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
At Nationals, there was something going on with her finger or nail that she was obsessing over before the performance and right afterwards as well. I knew as she was going on the ice the concentration wasn't there.....ah well....

heyang

Record Breaker
This is a situation that has ended with a promising skater giving it up altogether. Ann Patrice McDonough had a parent who was so strict and demanding of her that AP became more and more unhappy and finally quit. When I see Mirai's expressionless performances I am reminded of AP.

Sometimes parents become too involved in their children's training to the point where they become a demotivator. Yes, parents are paying for the training, but it's better to be supportive of the child's efforts instead of being overcritical of the results.

I believe the same occurred with Tiffany CHin, as well.

heyang

Record Breaker
THe difference between Mirai 2010 and Mirai today is partly that she was an 'underdog' back then. She was 'the future' and 'up and coming'. There wasn't as much pressure to win. Now, she's always considered a potential favorite and people expect her to win. She's never skated well when she's been the favorite and front runner at a major event. When she was in 1st after SP at World's, she caved during her LP because she was thinking about winning, instead of just skating.

It's a stumbling block for many defending champions - i.e. Michelle lost some confidence in 1997 due to growth spurt and worrying about not finishing 1st - thus falling at Nationals and leaving door open for Tara L.

The pressure to succeed is definitely something that's harder on the expected winners. i.e Michelle nor Irina nor Kurt Browning have won Olympic Gold because of the pressure. They lost to Tara (expected to medal) and Sarah who both skated with joy and abandon because it wasn't theirs to lose - IMHO, it wasn't as much the technical details, but the lack of joy and freedom in their movements that lost the gold in 1998 and 2002.

Mirai definitely has had high expectations put on her shoulders and she's got to develop the mental toughness and confidence to use ignore that pressure and get out there and just do her best. As trite as Michelle seemed, she made that attitude work for her - you do the best you can out there and that's all you can really try to do.

Bentley

Rinkside
I am of the opinion that Mirai's claim to fame is over. She missed her chance to excell the last couple years and needs to stop blaming others for her failures.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
So it seems onlookers are describing Mirai's mom as an Asian momster, as has been said of AP McDonough's mom *is she even Asian, *I don't know, but stage/skating mother in the pejorative sense comes up. And it seems everyone knows about Charlene Wong's mother. So, the parents are pressuring for results and Mirai cannot deliver under pressure of frontrunner expectations? This seems to fit with what everyone sees. So, is one born with champion mentality? Can it be coerced into by parents who push and withhold praise unless results are obtained? It doesn't sound like Mirai's parents will be happy unless she competes like Yamaguchi or Kwan. These are rare people/ very rare skaters. No one wants to see Mirai miserable, but what is aggravating about these parents and mother especially is they want her to be a champion it seems and obviously saw the talent, but they are not encouraging her to do what many champions have done...move closer to coach, change coaches, do what you must to attain these high goals they set for her. maybe they are thinking that MK didn't have to leave her family, or kristi didn't move away, so it isn't necesary, but every situation is different. It seems mirai needs Frank a lot and needs to train with a skater with the very best work ethic. Actually tho, didn't kristi train for a while in Edmonton? Who was her coach there? And MK, Karen and Mom were living in a little tiny cottage while they trained with Frank at lake Arrowhead right? The Kwans made so many sacrifices and changes over the years. Of course it paid off big time for them. What can one earn if one owns an ice rink, I wonder?

Well, i love Mirai, she is adorable, and if she never has another great skate I will always remember what she did in the Olympics. She was splendid.

Last edited:

tampro1

Rinkside
I am certainly in the chorus of people frustrated with Mirai. It was frustrating watching her in the final group at Nationals. You could see her superior speed, skills, ease of the blade, etc. She clearly has that special something rarely seen. Yet she seemed to have zero fight. She may just turn out to be another wasted talent who will lose out to harder working skaters with more fire. She was obviously not well trained going into Nationals. Yes, her programs were dull and boring. But she also skated with no fight and was just uninspired. She didn't look like she wanted to win that badly. If she's unhappy skating, she should do something else. Move up or move on!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she's unhappy skating, she should do something else. Move up or move on!

I agree. Skating requires so much financial and physical sacrifice that it's really pointless to continue if you aren't giving 100% effort. She isn't so unusually gifted that she can come to Nationals undertrained and walk away with a medal. No one is.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well- re. the talk of her family- we don't know anything about them, right? That's really assuming/speculating a lot and IMHO it's somewhat reaching.

I don't find myself emotionally invested in Nagasu like some other posters here, so frankly I don't really care whether she continues to skate or not. But I will say that if she does continue, it won't help her case to continue phoning in performances. She strikes me as very emotional- I think she needs to learn to take control of that trait and make it work to her advantage out on the ice.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AP McDonough's mother is Asian. She was the wife of a US serviceman and adopted AP from Korea.

mskater93

Record Breaker
^^^^
Yamaguchi moved to Edmonton with her long time coach, Christi Ness. Ness's husband was transferred there and Yamaguchi wanted to stay with Ness.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if Yama ever went back to Edmonton? Anyways what about Charlene Wong's mother - this is the Canadian skater - the Susan Lucci of Canada skating - always a bridesmaid???? LOL I hope we aren't saying Asian mothers are monsters? But in reference to dominating mothers it's one thing to want the best for your children but to take the joy of life or skating is another. There needs to be a fine balance. However, the financial sacrificies obvious willc reate issues; I believe Sara Hughes and Emily Hughes, Tara and all came from well to do families as did Sasha. that makes a huge difference. On the other hand patrick chan's dad who is the breadwinner is a Gov't lawyer who I believe makes $160,000 CDN it is public knowledge or published. Sounds like a lot but not when you have two apartments in Toronto (which easily could be 3/4of a million dollars and one in Colorado. Patrick's competing and training fees are $200,000 a year.