Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Nagasu

Down With It
    When I think back, she was the rising star - so, she could skate with joy because she was not expected to win. Then, when she got 4th at the Olympics, people expected her to win at least a spot on the podium and gold at Nationals. Then, she started worrying about not winning, but if she made a mistake she still kept at it. Now,she just seems to be worried about making mistakes during competiton; so, when one happens, she's just giving up.
    Well, she DID burst onto the scene with her Nationals win in 2008. So she wasn't exactly flying under the radar. Then there was her rather bumpy 2009 season which happened before the Olympic run.

Something happened after that 2010 season though, because from there on out, it's been downhill/steady. Perhaps it's a motivation issue, and/or a mental one. I thought last season would wake her up, but I guess she hadn't fallen far enough yet. Now I predict something big will happen- either she will retire, announce coach change or move closer to Carroll.

Team Nagasu has been strangely quiet since Nationals which has caused a lot of this pointless speculation anyway.

Custom Title
    There isn't much reason to give updates on Nagasu since her season is over.

Mirai's been quiet too. She hasn't updated her Twitter since mid-February. But the season is over, so perhaps she's taking a break from the spotlight.

Custom Title
    Given so much negativity about her and her team, I am not surprised she need a breather. And I seem to recall she read Golden Skate too before?

As I have expressed last year, maybe the trick is not to care about what others think and worried about living up to others expectations, e.g packaged as the next MK and inevitably pigeon holed herself into a corner where there's no getting out. She need to ask what she really want, what she love and what defines her. She need to skate for herself first and foremost, the rest can come in later. If that is not good enough, maybe some major changes are need in order. She definitely got the goods, but the head game is a whole different matter. Love Mirai still, and think she is still one talented cookie! And even if cookie crumbles every now and then, may be you can make a cheese cake with some loving attention and care?
    Last edited by os168; 03-25-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    There isn't much reason to give updates on Nagasu since her season is over.
    So there is no chance she will be selected to the Team Trophy competition?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    It doesn't really matter what word is used - the meaning comes across. People have been calling Mirai overweight all season. To me it seems as though Mirai has her new woman's proportions now. She's not a gangly 14-year-old any more.

I wish we had reports from someone who trains with her because all the speculation is frustrating.
    Remember, both of Mirai's dresses at National's this year, the red short program dress and the light blue FS dress, had outer layers that were loose and not at all form fitting. Since 90% of the time, the viewers see these non form fitting outer layers, they assume Mirai has gained a lot of weight this year. In fact, Mirai is extremely fit and does not need to lose any weight. In fact, with very few exceptions, almost every female skater at Nat's was fit.

Quote Originally Posted by kalle View Post
    So there is no chance she will be selected to the Team Trophy competition?
    It will almost surely be Alissa and Ashley.

Countries qualify by points earned by their skaters during the season at various events. The individual skaters who earn the points are required to be on the team, except for injury, etc. Ashley already has a gang of points for Four Continents, and Alissa got a lot of points in the Grand Prix. She even picked up 500 points for her fifth-place finish at the GPF. Both Ashley and Alissa will earn more points from Worlds, even if they do not place well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It will almost surely be Alissa and Ashley.

Countries qualify by points earned by their skaters during the season at various events. The individual skaters who earn the points are required to be on the team, except for injury, etc. Ashley already has a gang of points for Four Continents, and Alissa got a lot of points in the Grand Prix. She even picked up 500 points for her fifth-place finish at the GPF. Both Ashley and Alissa will earn more points from Worlds, even if they do not place well.
    So it's just based on Season's World Ranking and not overall ranking?

For the season, Ashley (ranked No. 4, 1456) is well above Mirai (No. 21, 872 points)

But overall, Mirai (No. 9, 2817) is above Ashley (No. 18, 2188). I think Ashley can pick up more points if she does well (i.e. medals) at Worlds, but it still wouldn't be enough to overtake her.

It's just this season. And I think the point system is slightly different for the team trophy than for the season ranking list. For instance, Alissa got 203 points for her (less than stellar) performance at the Challenge Cup, but these points do not count toward the Team Trophy total.

It is not completely clear from the Team Trophy Announcement, but I think you can get points both for placement at Worlds and for Four Continents. On the season rankings list you just get the one score, whichever is highest, among all ISU championships.

Custom Title
    The Worlds Ranking list will change drastically once 2009/2010 data is removed and 2010/2011 data will be worth only 70% of what it was before. Mirai will drop quite a bit because 2009/2010 was her best year, her 2011 4CC points will be reduced in value, and she has no ISU championship points for this year. As it stands right now, with the data scrubbed, Wagner will outrank Mirai on the Worlds Ranking list even if Ashley finishes lower than 4th at Worlds.

Custom Title
    The Worlds Ranking list will change drastically once 2009/2010 data is removed and 2010/2011 data will be worth only 70% of what it was before. Mirai will drop quite a bit because 2009/2010 was her best year, her 2011 4CC points will be reduced in value, and she has no ISU championship points for this year. As it stands right now, with the data scrubbed, Wagner will outrank Mirai on the Worlds Ranking list even if Ashley finishes lower than 4th at Worlds.
    Does she get isu points for the silver at the CoC GP?

Custom Title
    I checked the season's rankings. Ashley is indeed fourth, Caroline 9th, Czisny in 12th, Agnes in 18th and Mirai in 21st. Mirai apparently gets 360 points for CoC, 262 for I assume her 5th in SC, and 250 for the Neibelhorn.

Custom Title
    GP points are in the Grand Prix / Junior Grand Prix columns, not in the ISU championship column. Nearly all the top 30 skaters have GP points, but not all of them have ISU championship points, which are awarded only for Euros, 4CC, JW and Worlds. If a skater has competed in multiple ISU championships in a given year, only the HIGHEST points awarded count for that year.

Nagasu is not the only one who will drop. Ando, Kim, Flatt and Tuktamysheva will also take a hit for not having ISU Championship points this season.

The World Team Championship will NOT count towards the World Ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Does she get isu points for the silver at the CoC GP?
    I looked again at the announcement for the team trophy, and I think I was wrong in saying that it is the season's ranking. Now I think it is the overall world rankings.

However, to determine which countries get to participate, for the ladies it goes like this.

Team USA has 525 points for Alissa getting fifth at the Grand Prix Final. Team USA has 360 points for Mirai getting second at Cup of China.

It appears that Ashley's win at Four Continents does not count, even if Ashley's placement at worlds gets her fewer points than her Four Continents placement. (See paragraph d2).

The remaining points will come from Ashley's and Alissa' placements at Worlds.

Except in unusual circumstances, the only thing that counts are the two best results in the GP and the two best results at worlds.

If a country qualifies, they are expected to send the two top-ranked overall skaters, even if those are not the skaters that earned the points to qualify the team. There are extra penalties if a skater makes top ten at Worlds but does not participate in the team trophy.

Here are the selection rules. (Click on 2012 team trophy announcement.)

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Now I am confused. Will the team trophy decision be made on the basis of this year's points, after worlds? Or next year's points after the new season begins?

The most Ashley can gain this year, if she wins the world championship, is 360 points (replacing her 840 with 1200). This will still leave her behind Mirai at the end of the 2012 season, but before the 2012-2013 season begins. (?)

(But USFSA can still send Ashley instead of Mirai if the ISU agrees, as I read the document.)
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-25-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast