Hersh on Kwan ... new article | Golden Skate

Hersh on Kwan ... new article

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
One except I love!:

Kwan, 23, knew that sort of frankness was what she needed to improve as she prepared for January's U.S. championships, where she will compete for a record 12th straight time at the senior level. Two of her jumps, the loop and salchow, had become shaky. Sometimes it appeared she rested during programs.

"All coaches try to hide weak parts and make shiny your strong parts," Arutunian said.

The weak parts?

"Everything should be much more powerful, stronger and reliable," he said.

The trick, with a skater of a relatively advanced age and a body that has taken years of pounding, is to push without risking injury.

At a recent practice, Kwan rolled through her four-minute free skate with a performance good enough to win another U.S. title. There was no chance for her to catch her breath in the four minutes, especially since her trademark spiral sequence has been shortened and there are more details that demand attention in the spaces between elements.

"You're taking up all my resting spots," she teased Arutunian.

The resting spots, she knew, were what judges and critics were complaining about, what she needed to get past.

Sounds like her fans will get their wish of a beefed up Tosca!!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
"If I look into the future for the [2006] Olympics, it's like, `OK, if I want to do it, maybe Rafael can take me all the way,"' she said.

This quote just doesn't sound like Michelle. If it IS what she said, is this the first time she's admitting that her intention is to stick around until 2006?

I think she is just keeping her options open: "IF I want to do it..." Still, she has been talking and behaving more and more like a gal on a mission.

Mathman

mzheng

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
This quote just doesn't sound like Michelle. If it IS what she said, is this the first time she's admitting that her intention is to stick around until 2006?

From my secrete source, this perfectly like what Michelle would say. And I don't think this is the first time she said in public. She said the similar thing at interview of ABC winter cheesfest. But still with IF in the sentance. People around her had said she is a very commited person, once she promised something she will do it. IMO, that's why she never took that IF off that sentance regarding 2006 Olympics.

And what the wrong with that? From what Rafael said last in that article it is not unlikely she could get the OGM then. And Rafael had the secret landing skill to avoid injury when practice the jumps over and over again.

Spark

Rinkside
I think in the back of Michelle's mind, she's wanted to do 2006 since the 2002 season ended. She's been saying she may compete in 2006 since before she competed in Nagano. She may just be trying to skate in the moment a bit more and focus on one competition at a time, rather than putting pressure on herself by taking the attitude that everything she does now is building up to the next Olympics and her next shot at gold. That's probably better for her psychologically. But I'm sure in the back of her mind, she definitely wants another chance at the Olympics. I'll be surprised if she retires before 2006.

The new coaching situation sounds good. I'd love to see a "beefed-up Tosca" at nationals. I hope it works out.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Quotes from the articel:

"Everything should be much more powerful, stronger and reliable," he said.

Hey any artistry expert here, dose this sounds like the way Tosca should be skated/choreographed? I heard that Rafael's wife is a pianolist, as a husband as pianolist do you think he shall have goot taste in artistry?

Germanice

On the Ice
"Before I start to work with her, I realize she is good: five-time world champion is five-time world champion," Arutunian said. "But when I start to work with her, I realize she is a genius on ice.
Well, I really wonder with how many US-$$'s (or vodka?) they fed the poor guy to make him stutter sheer delirious stuff like this! This guy behaves just like one of her numerous worshipping US-fans, not exactly the right basic for a productive team-work.

Anke

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Germanice said:
Well, I really wonder with how many US-$$'s (or vodka?) they fed the poor guy to make him stutter sheer delirious stuff like this! This guy behaves just like one of her numerous worshipping US-fans, not exactly the right basic for a productive team-work.
I don't know. Tarasova was just as excited in the beginning of her work with Sasha, and TT has worked with far more talented skaters than Arutunian ever has. There is nothing wrong with the coach thinking his/her skaters are the best, as long as they can see the faults as well. It seems that Rafael has a plan to improve Michelle's skating, and that's what is important. (And I've never been a Michelle fan)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, don't forget Rafael talked in his self taught English, besides what he refers is how quick Michelle is to pickup the skill on ice. Believe or not, from my secrete source, the progresses in Michelle's skating they made in their short time work together is unbelieveable.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't think there is a thing wrong with Arutunian having faith in Michelle and admiring her for her skill and accomplishments. I agree with Ptichka completely. It seems Artunian has recognized some weak points in Michelle's skating and feels he can help remedy these. Is that blind admiration or alcohol induced worship? It certainly doesn't sound like it. He has evaluated Michelle's strengths AND weaknesses and believes he can be of assistance. Isn't that what he is paid to do? I guess we blindly loving American half-wits have stolen another brilliant European coach! He too, soon, will have an alter for the Goddess Kwan installed in his home just like all other Americans. LOL!

mzheng

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:

He too, soon, will have an alter for the Goddess Kwan installed in his home just like all other Americans. LOL!

Nay, I don't think so. He dealt with all his skater very strictly on ice. And on ice he treated Michelle no difference than his other non star skaters. I suspect other than the skaters with Asian and Russian background, the American skaters can takeup with him.

Bronzeisgolden, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mzheng, OK, you've really got my curiousity up now. Without naming names, can you give us a hint about your "secret source?" Ple-e-e-ease.

Anke, so you're right about Michelle and everyone who knows her, has ever met her, or has had a chance to work with her is wrong?

Mathman

Lucy25

Final Flight
Mathman - I have reading very accurate reporting from mzheng's secret source for a while now, and she (he??) has never given a hint as to who it is. All I know is that I appreciate the information!

This article is great news for Kwan fans. I was very pleased to read how well Michelle and Arutunian seem to be working as a team. It sounds like Michelle is very serious about improving, and he is just what she needs.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Wow. Thanx for posting that article. Now I simply cannot WAIT for Nationals! Talk about a great Nats to attend as my first one ever! This one has the makings to be pretty awesome in the Ladies event. Good luck to Michelle and I can't wait to see a 'beefed up' Tosca!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It seems we are running double threads lately. I replied to the other one on the same subject. Just happy to note that MK is invigorated and the possible Torino contest is a possibility. Viva Raul!!

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Great news...

I really appreciate the feedback from the "secret source." I can't wait to watch Michelle at Nationals.

I was really disappointed when Abt left, and took a back slide. I love watching him skate but at this stage it's doubtful he will ever reach the potential he seems to have.

Thanks for the link and the interesting discussion!

DG