Wagner skating on a mission, for self and country | Golden Skate

Wagner skating on a mission, for self and country

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the Washington Post

...American women have failed to earn that [third worlds] berth back over the past three seasons. Wagner hopes that will change in her first world championship appearance this week in Nice..

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, she is skating well, no injuries, has two recent golds going in, sounds confident, not just talking talk. Good luck Ashley. That picture reminds me of a cat. Give her two whiskers. She is a cute girl, it just hit me. Maybe I look at my cat too much, LOL

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Good to see such a write up on Washington Post. Let's hope there will be a higher profile for and more interest in figure skating in the US. Success from the Ladies champion should help greatly.

The article does contradict itself on Ashey's appearances at Worlds.

Bentley

Rinkside
I would love to see Ashley do exceptionaly well at Worlds. It is great to see those who work hard and are willing to make big changes rewarded for their efforts.
I was never a big fan of Ashley's till now when I saw how hard she is working. I hope she wins big.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she can medal it would be really hard for Alissa to screw up bad enough to lose 3 spots. I think if Alissa could limit herself to 3 falls in the entire competition and Ashley finishes top 3 or 4 we'll get the spots back.

Go Ashley! Go Alissa!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I feel confident for her to medal because she has figured out what it takes to win.

“If I can get into the mentality that I got into at nationals and Four Continents,” Wagner said, “worlds will not be that big of a mountain to climb.”

:thumbsup:

Too bad Jeremy has not mastered that yet.

Antilles

Medalist
The article doesn't contradict itself. It says "her first world championship appearance this week in Nice, France, since her 16th-place finish in 2008." The bolding is mine. Maybe it's been corrected?

Nice to hear she's getting some attention.

Elisheba

Rinkside
I really like the article, and I am prepared to love ANY US lady who doesn't say "I just want to skate my best" in an interview.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think one can skate for their country it has to be for themselves first and the pure joy of skating. If they feel they must for their country well it sort of suggests they are defending the nation and that is rather unfair to our women and men who battle for our nations. But I do think she has a chance to win it all and certainly medal. I do think it is rather sad we think Alyssa can still be in the top ten with 3 falls. Her quality of skating though is good but not as good as Tak or Chan - for some reason they can falter and you see the beauty of their programs still - I admit Alyssa's isn't so beautiful - maybe she has less transitions but it could be my uneducated eye:)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wagner is the new Gracie Gold at least for the moment
all pressure is on her shoulders right now

R.D.

Record Breaker
I really like the article, and I am prepared to love ANY US lady who doesn't say "I just want to skate my best" in an interview.

Definitely a refreshing perspective, isn't it?

Anyway, I hope Wagner can handle the pressure. People seem to have a lot of confidence in her for whatever reason, and that's fine, but I still think she's truly untested in battle so to speak. She was in underdog position at Natls and 4CCs (Asada was favorite). Now, although she is not the favorite here (perhaps Kostner is?), expectations of her HAVE gone up since Nationals/4CCs and we'll have to see if she can handle it. It's unfortunate that Czisny is so unreliable that it basically forces Wagner to be at or better than 4CC level for us to have any significant hope...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
♫ Dumm... dum dum da dum dummm dum dumm~~~ Dum.... dam dummm~ dam dumm duuuudrrrummmmm~~~ ♪

Yeahh goo Ashley feel your inner black swwaaaaan!! Fly and swoop towards the gold.. best FS this season :p Goooo~~~

fairly4

Medalist
i hope it is her words.

if she can do it fine, i think she can. it is nice for someone to finally have a (take charge) attitude that has been lacking in the u.s. ladies since michelle-i think sasha tried and came up short.