Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wagner skating on a mission, for self and country

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisheba View Post
    I really like the article, and I am prepared to love ANY US lady who doesn't say "I just want to skate my best" in an interview.
    Definitely a refreshing perspective, isn't it?

Anyway, I hope Wagner can handle the pressure. People seem to have a lot of confidence in her for whatever reason, and that's fine, but I still think she's truly untested in battle so to speak. She was in underdog position at Natls and 4CCs (Asada was favorite). Now, although she is not the favorite here (perhaps Kostner is?), expectations of her HAVE gone up since Nationals/4CCs and we'll have to see if she can handle it. It's unfortunate that Czisny is so unreliable that it basically forces Wagner to be at or better than 4CC level for us to have any significant hope...

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Wagner is the new Gracie Gold at least for the moment
    all pressure is on her shoulders right now
    Pressure that she has put on herself, I would say. Hopefully she can handle it.

Tripping on the Podium
    She had a lot of pressure competing in Nationals ad 4CC and she did a great job!

Custom Title
    ♫ Dumm... dum dum da dum dummm dum dumm~~~ Dum.... dam dummm~ dam dumm duuuudrrrummmmm~~~ ♪

Yeahh goo Ashley feel your inner black swwaaaaan!! Fly and swoop towards the gold.. best FS this season :P Goooo~~~

Custom Title
    i hope it is her words.

if she can do it fine, i think she can. it is nice for someone to finally have a (take charge) attitude that has been lacking in the u.s. ladies since michelle-i think sasha tried and came up short.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    No, Ashley is not the new GG. Ashley's been competing in seniors for years and has been to Worlds. She is familiar with this unique pressure of The Spots and seems to be saying "Bring it on." She's been in the zone - I just hope she can stay there for nine more days!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    Pressure that she has put on herself, I would say. Hopefully she can handle it.
    well she was able to handle it at nationals by saying its her " gold to lose "
    this time its another notch with the whole the 3rd spot is on my shoulder and for my country.

I do admire her hunger and drive
    something Alissa never had.

On the Ice
    this time its another notch with the whole the 3rd spot is on my shoulder and for my country.

Yes, I certainly hope that she can handle it. If she skates 2 rock solid programs, I don't think the judges can keep her off the podium.

i wouldn't say it's something alissa never had...she's a quiet person and doesn't have the same personality as ashley. some people keep that stuff more to themselves and between them and their team. i know alissa hasn't had a wonderful season this year, but i can't stand that people are jumping to conclusions already, especially since the challenge cup. yes alissa is known for being inconsistent, but even under her new coaches if she bombs once everyone points the finger. like it's not ever allowed to happen. alissa is a completely different skater than she was before and no one can argue that. just because she has new coaches doesn't make her a MK. i'm sure there were expectations on her at the start of this season because of the success she had last year, but even when she doesn't do well she doesn't just lose it like she did before. have some faith in the girl! the challenge cup was a teeny competition that hardly matters. like in the recent article IN had on jeremy, he said he is right where he wants to be going into worlds even though he didn't do well at the challenge cup either. that being said, i'm hoping and praying both alissa and ashley will both skate well and in turn will get the 3 spots back. i know they both can do it.

Custom Title
    While I'm not gonna argue that Gold and Wagner are the new other, what both have and are demonstrating this season is confidence and goals. They have both demonstrated a drive to excel, an understanding of what they did wrong in the past to not excel, and the confidence to pull it off. What Wagner is doing is putting pressure on herself with her talk of the third spot (contributing to it's loss, gold is hers to lose, etc), but she seems to using that pressure as fuel, as opposed to looking at it as an impediment. Right now, it's more interesting because it's a bit of a shift from how the American media likes its female athletes: toughness must be hidden, confidence masked, underdogs preferred. Princesses are prefered to queens. I suspect, for example, that a Czisny medal/victory would play more sweetly than a Wagner victory/medal, and I'm not sure that's fair.

Down With It
    Right now, it's more interesting because it's a bit of a shift from how the American media likes its female athletes: toughness must be hidden, confidence masked, underdogs preferred. Princesses are prefered to queens.
    I think that view is changing, however. Beginning with the female soccer team at least.

Of course, the very nature of ice skating is "pretty girls in pretty dresses" as Czisny put it, so it might take a little longer for the culture change to hit there, but in order to get change, you need to have someone different and willing to challenge the norm. I see Wagner as one of those people, and if she remains relevant up to Sochi, I think you might see a few take advantage of/try to market her athleticism as opposed to glamoring her up for a model shoot...

I suspect, for example, that a Czisny medal/victory would play more sweetly than a Wagner victory/medal, and I'm not sure that's fair.
    You know what...I think you're right. I never really thought about this, but yes...now that you mention it, I bet even USFS themselves would prefer a Czisny to a Wagner to be "the face" of American skating.

Only thing is for Wagner (and Gold) to have that attitude AND be widely successful (imagine, if she simply picks up any medal at worlds it will be the first for US women since 2006- already headline-worthy) and I'm sure it will trickle down. We're still in the aftermath of soft-spoken, unassuming Kwan, so until we get a new (different) face, that's going to be the "expectation" of the media...
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-22-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add quote

MK unassuming? Which Michelle is that? This is someone who booed lower marks with thumbs down. She is a warrior. Put a samurai sword in her hand and 10 men opposite. I bet on MK to be the last one standing, LOL I like that image!

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    ...it's a bit of a shift from how the American media likes its female athletes: toughness must be hidden, confidence masked, underdogs preferred. Princesses are prefered to queens. I suspect, for example, that a Czisny medal/victory would play more sweetly than a Wagner victory/medal, and I'm not sure that's fair.
    I think you're underestimating the American media. They're hardly walled off from the rest of the culture and Ashley's story is playing pretty well so far. Americans like underdogs, winners, second chances, rags to riches stories, gender-benders, stereotype-breakers, good rivalries -- and did I say winners? A dominant Ashley who has the energy to reshape the way people see skating will make a much more interesting story than a pretty but fragile and aging Alissa. Anyway, Ashley can do pretty too, FWIW (see her Somewhere in Time program--no problem).

What the media would like best right now, IMO, is a great rivalry. I'm not sure Alissa will be around much longer to provide that. Maybe Ashley-Gracie, or one of the above vs. a resurgent Mirai.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I think you're underestimating the American media. They're hardly walled off from the rest of the culture and Ashley's story is playing pretty well so far. Americans like underdogs, winners, second chances, rags to riches stories, gender-benders, stereotype-breakers, good rivalries -- and did I say winners? A dominant Ashley who has the energy to reshape the way people see skating will make a much more interesting story than a pretty but fragile and aging Alissa. Anyway, Ashley can do pretty too, FWIW (see her Somewhere in Time program--no problem).

What the media would like best right now, IMO, is a great rivalry. I'm not sure Alissa will be around much longer to provide that. Maybe Ashley-Gracie, or one of the above vs. a resurgent Mirai.
    They like gender-benders and stereotype breakers? If this is indeed true, then yes - I've definitely underestimated the American media.

Banned

Alissa's jump technique is deeply flawed. Bad technique won't miraculously enable you to land jumps consistently. Hunger and drive can only lead you so far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast