Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Wagner skating on a mission, for self and country

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    But doesn't this actually show that it wasn't always a mind game for Alissa? Her poor technique contributed to her failed jumps..
    But what about now, is it purely a mind game?

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Neat. So before, she couldn't get much spring out of that takeoff, and she had a wrap in the air; now, she springs much higher and the wrap is a lot less obvious.

But doesn't this actually show that it wasn't always a mind game for Alissa? Her poor technique contributed to her failed jumps.

Besides technique, another thing that stood out for me was how she looked noticeably thinner last year than the previous year (I noticed this last year, but I got reminded again looking at this video). Probably not carrying that little extra weight also helped her gain more airtime. She's just as thin this year, but unlike last year, she gives the impression of "frail" rather than "fit." Maybe she's started to lose more muscle mass. She just looks so uncertain on the ice again.
    IMHO, it's always been a mind game no matter what her technique is. she always looked scared and unsure on the ice. i don't think her coach helped her much with the mental aspect of it, being that she bombed so often. i am a friend of hers on FB and i sent her a message a while ago asking how she was able to get her confidence back and control her nerves, and she responded saying that there's so much to focus on with each element to make it happen that there's no room to over think. also on several videos from when she was with julie where the commentator has mentioned something about her inconsistency and nerves being linked. i was the same kind of skater as her, i had a huge nerve issues and could never control them and i started bombing in competition more. you might be able to do it in practice, but it's a totally different game when you compete. when you're not in the right mental state, you tense up, you over think, you forget your technique and you freak out so i know how it goes.

i agree on her weight...she looked fit last year, but this year she looks frail. i caught wind that she is following a vegan diet so that may be causing the frailness...
    i don't know. maybe those nerves have crept back in. but i'm sure yuka and jason know what to do, since they took her out of this mental state in the first place.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4