Thread: New camera in the works

0 Not allowed!

New camera in the works

Why would this even be considered something to have?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...182725275.html

With image-tweaking services like Instagram turning our everyday photos into vintage snapshots, it seems like photography itself is taking a step back in time. A new camera prototype turns that idea completely on its head by producing a text description of each photo you shoot, rather than capturing an actual image. It's called the Descriptive Camera, and it just might be the next big thing in photography.
    I know some folks are suggesting a tool for the blind, but as it's proposed in the article it doesn't sound like that's the intention.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    It seems rather odd on first look. Although it's probably the only camera I'd be able to use successfully! The text wouldn't be out of focus, and I could always correct the grammar myself....

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    This is the camera I use for most of my photography.

http://coffeegeek.tumblr.com/post/71...the-nikon-fm3a

0 Not allowed!
    Never have been a Nikon fan, PB, but I like your style. I still have my film cameras... though I never have a chance to use them these days

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Just out of curiosity: if you use a film camera, is there a place to send the film, or do you have to have your own darkroom?

Historical note. One of my relatives (now gone) worked in a pharmacy as a young woman, sort of as an apprentice. (That was the way it was done in those days.) They mixed up a lot of their own preparations back then, and they also developed the film themselves. Result: she had a box camera surprisingly early for the daughter of an immigrant family of modest means, and there are quite a few photos of the family from the 1920s.

0 Not allowed!
    Olympia - Walmart still prints film, and there are professional labs that do the specialty/pro printing still... it's just becoming more and more expensive.

the developing chemicals are cancer causing, but I LOVE working in a darkroom. I'd do my own printing if I had my own darkroom (too expensive, no room)

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Just out of curiosity: if you use a film camera, is there a place to send the film, or do you have to have your own darkroom?
    There is an excellent pro lab in Worcester, MA that I take my film to. I have them develop my film, then scan the negatives with my own scanner ( also a Nikon ). I can make alterations in PhotoShop Elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Never have been a Nikon fan, PB, but I like your style. I still have my film cameras... though I never have a chance to use them these days
    I prefer the look of a film image. What film cameras do you own?
    Last edited by PolymerBob; 04-26-2012 at 10:03 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Canon AE-1 and a Canon Rebel 2000 (?). My Canon A-1 that was my dads was stolen by the local camera guy who was supposed to clean/repair it. We never saw it again, pretty sure he sold it. My dad is too trusting of people who "give their word."

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I have a Canon AE-1 and a Canon Rebel 2000 (?). My Canon A-1 that was my dads was stolen by the local camera guy who was supposed to clean/repair it. We never saw it again, pretty sure he sold it. My dad is too trusting of people who "give their word."
    I almost bought the Rebel 2000, but went with the FM3a. I am going to Aruba next month. I'm not sure which camera I'll take with me. The sand and sun can be rough in Aruba, so I might take my FM10. It's a cheaper film SLR, but it still takes great pictures.