Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oksana Baiul on the Rosie show

Rinkside

Oksana Baiul on the Rosie show

Oksana Baiul was on Rosie's talk show on the OWN network. Did anyone see this? I think it was originally on in Jan, but I caught a re-run. It was nice to see her again, I hadn't seen her lately. She said that is writing a book and that she has "a lot to say".

Custom Title
    She is definitely someone who I wish stayed eligible longer. It was sad she went through such lows both before and after her defining moment.

Custom Title
    She had so much potential but she seemed lost without her parents. People tried but she was a lost little girl; at least she came back but that innocense was lost and nothing could bring it back.

Custom Title
    I always wonder how much better Oksana would have been if she had a stable home life and a lived in a country with much better training facilities. It's amazing she did as well as she did training in the Ukraine which had lost the support of the Soviet Union. Imagine if she had the support and training of someone like Nancy Kerrigan had for instance. Oksana really did have it all.
    Last edited by Jammers; 03-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Custom Title
    So what did she say exactly? How did she look? What's going on in her life????

Though I am a huge fan of Oksana's, I haven't followed her life much since she stopped appearing on screen, only now & then when somebody mentions her name, like this thread. Oops, just found an old bookmark that still works!: http://www.oksanastyle.com/news.htm

The last time I looked up Oksana on the 'net I got a bit sad & emotional; she was skating at a fabulous old resort/villa/hotel up in the New York mountains somewhere. In fact I think she's been living & skating there for some time now? Anyhow, the youtube video showed her looking so ethereal & magical in the moonlight skating outside underneath a huge type of gazebo, to "The Swan". It choked me up; rough beginning with so much loss in her young life, then power & fame & fortune, finally humility...

Her skating, the way she expressed herself, both in thought & also out there on the ice, will always live on in my memory. Truly a Gift from God.

Can't wait till her new book comes out, will keep an eye out for it, to add to my collection. I have every single one, and will definitely not miss this one, have them all memorized, as well as her poignant quotes.

Rinkside
    There are a couple of short clips on YouTube from the show, where you can see how she looked, but it doesn't show most of the interview. There are also some pics on her Facebook fan page. She didn't talk in too much detail about what's going on in her life. She brought her gold medal and said she had kept it in a shoe box for years. She also said that she was working on a book and wants to do some touring overseas. 

Custom Title
    I found the clip showing her making her entrance onstage for the segment. Very over the top, but fun. I felt that her English hadn't really progressed as one would expect after all these years, until a hysterically funny remark she made. Rosie was asking why she kept the medal in the shoebox. After a vague collection of phrases from Oksana about not having the time even to change clothes from winter to summer, Rosie said something about how it must be hard to get a medal like that through airport security these days. Oksana gave a big smile and said, "I travel first class, thank you very much." I'm still chuckling over that.

She looks pretty fit, I'm glad to see. I don't know what she's doing these days, but she hasn't let herself go, visually, at least. I still sense a wounded quality about her, but I hope that she's having a good and accomplished life.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I always wonder how much better Oksana would have been if she had a stable home life and a lived in a country with much better training facilities. It's amazing she did as well as she did training in the Ukraine which had lost the support of the Soviet Union. Imagine if she had the support and training of someone like Nancy Kerrigan had for instance. Oksana really did have it all.
    Nancy had her own problems. Her mom is blind and her brother murdered her dad.

Custom Title
    Yes but having a blind mother is still better then having no parents at all for support.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    She is definitely someone who I wish stayed eligible longer. It was sad she went through such lows both before and after her defining moment.
    That wouldn't have worked out too well. Within 18 months of winning the OGM, Oksana grew 4 inches, gained 25 lbs, and lost her jumps in the process.

Custom Title
    If Oksana hadn't lost interest competing and stayed an amateur she might have gotten in better shape and not lost her jumps. But once she won the OGM medal she turned pro made a lot of money and lost her drive to compete. Like she said when she skated as well as she did in Lillehammer she had done all she set out to do. No matter the wonky jumps very few skaters have ever had the presence on the ice that Oksana did circa 1993-1995.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Nancy had her own problems. Her mom is blind and her brother murdered her dad.
    wasn't he found not guilty?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    No. He was convicted of the assault, but acquitted of the murder charge.
    However, it's clear that it wasn't exactly a Leave it To Beaver type family.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...aulting-father

Custom Title
    I gather that it was a very close family. But alas, one member had some sort of mental problems. There is often no cause for such a situation--the parents and even the offspring with the problems have no role in initiating the original mental disorder. It's just one of those unexplainable awful things, like cancer, often with a biochemical cause. When it happens, it makes a hole through which all sorts of dreadful stuff can get into the family unit and wreak havoc. As I recall, Elizabeth Punsalan's brother had similar problems, and it led to a similarly devastating outcome--he killed their father. Whatever the law ultimately decides in such a situation in terms of fault, the damage cannot be undone. So you could still use Nancy's family as an example of a stable family, in the sense that everyone supported her aspirations and the parents did the best they could for her. The really bad event, the killing of Mr. Kerrigan, didn't happen until Nancy was around forty, so it had no effect on the level of support she had in her early athletic career.
    Last edited by Olympia; 03-25-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If Oksana hadn't lost interest competing and stayed an amateur she might have gotten in better shape and not lost her jumps. But once she won the OGM medal she turned pro made a lot of money and lost her drive to compete. Like she said when she skated as well as she did in Lillehammer she had done all she set out to do. No matter the wonky jumps very few skaters have ever had the presence on the ice that Oksana did circa 1993-1995.
    Oksana lost her jumps because of puberty. No amount of training could have made up for the huge growth spurt and the fact she went from a tiny waif to a woman in a very, very short time span.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast