Japan's figure skating chief on Japanese Men's and Ladies' podium potential | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan's figure skating chief on Japanese Men's and Ladies' podium potential

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Latest news clip focused on Dai and Patrick, broadcasted on Fuji TV last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGIHkOMdT8U

Right after 4CC, Dai flew to Detroit to rework on choreo for Klook with Pasquale.

They mainly focused on more transtions, but with more speed overall. Even changed step sequences, they said in this vid.

Dai admits that the difference in points (30) between Patrick and himself at 4CC made him realize how far Patrick is head of him, and motivated him once again.
His coach Utako Magamitsu, who was always with him since the age of 14, says she does not remember to have seen Dai practice that hard. She and other coach (Takeshi, probably?), fearing for a potential injury, had to check on him and ask whether he is okay.

Japanese newspapers also reported on Japanese skaters:

-Mao looking great. She landed a couple of 3A with UR, but she says she feels good on her axels for her first trial in Nice.
-Dai's quads are not stable yet at his first apprearance during practice session.
-Takahiko has a small trouble with his skating boots; recently he broke into a new pair of boots, but did not fit him, so had to go back to the old one. Now he feels much better with no pain.

Nice. Thank you for the translation!

Becki

Medalist
Assuming the composition of next year's singles' team is as follows:

Ladies: Ando (if she decides to continue until Sochi), Asada and Suzuki (if she does not retire and continues to go on strong)
Men: Takahashi, Kozuka, Hanyu

Japan would be the only nation in which all its single skaters are world medalists. That's quite a feast!!

After Hanyu's bronze, I really don't see Oda having a future on the Japanese Team :'(

Last edited:
Wow, what a thought. And three of them would be former world champions: Ando, Asada, and Takahashi. That's pretty impressive.

Becki

Medalist
But this leads to the future of Oda - he has no world medals to boost, and he repeats the same mistake over and over again in major competitions. I think JFS is going to dump him in favour of the current men world team.

And I see Hanyu pushing Kozuka back into being Japan #3, which is kinda sad :'( Takahashi will still be #1...but not for long 'cause I heard Hanyu is working on a 4S, and he's a monster, so a 4F or 4L will probably be in his arsenal by Sochi....

Becki

Medalist
I just realized another thing, Yuzuru and Daisuke has made history together TWICE.

First at last year's 4CC: First time two Japanese men were on the podium together at the 4CC
Second: First time two Japanese men on the podium for Worlds 2012

:) Maybe next is the Olympics? First time two Japanese men are on the Olympic podium. That would be sweet!

I think the U.S. should adopt Oda. He looks like an all-American guy, like Jeremy Lin. Even if he missed a count here or there, he'd still up our quality.

Becki

Medalist
I think the U.S. should adopt Oda. He looks like an all-American guy, like Jeremy Lin. Even if he missed a count here or there, he'd still up our quality.

At this point, there's no way Japan is going to throw away their future (Hanyu) - he's here to stay. Takahashi is their star (World Champion and Olympic medalist) - he's here to stay too.

It's a fight between Kozuka and Oda. But with a World Silver, I think JFS is more in favour of keeping Kozuka.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
At this point, there's no way Japan is going to throw away their future (Hanyu) - he's here to stay. Takahashi is their star (World Champion and Olympic medalist) - he's here to stay too.

It's a fight between Kozuka and Oda. But with a World Silver, I think JFS is more in favour of keeping Kozuka.

Kozuka is much better than Oda. He wasn't great here, but artistically, he is way, way above Oda. Oda is all about the tech, and when he makes counting mistakes all the time, it doesn't leave much left. Further, his consistency suffered once he regularly started trying the quad in his programs, and at this point, he'd need a quad in the SP and FS to be competitive, especially with the way his PCS are and being the number 4 Japanese man. I tend to think he's done and will retire, but if he choses to continue, he'll only be going to 4CC post nationals, I highly doubt he makes another World or Olympics team unless he improves drastically in terms of artistry and/or Dai or Kozu has a sudden downfall, which I don't see happening.

Becki

Medalist
Kozuka is much better than Oda. He wasn't great here, but artistically, he is way, way above Oda. Oda is all about the tech, and when he makes counting mistakes all the time, it doesn't leave much left. Further, his consistency suffered once he regularly started trying the quad in his programs, and at this point, he'd need a quad in the SP and FS to be competitive, especially with the way his PCS are and being the number 4 Japanese man. I tend to think he's done and will retire, but if he choses to continue, he'll only be going to 4CC post nationals, I highly doubt he makes another World or Olympics team unless he improves drastically in terms of artistry and/or Dai or Kozu has a sudden downfall, which I don't see happening.

I feel so bad for Oda, 'cause honestly, I think he's going to be dumped by JFS next season. He is probably going to continue until Sochi, but you're right, unless he proves to JFS he is capable of being a world champion, it's bye bye to Worlds and Olympics.

I think Oda is a very entertaining skater. His latest programs have been very underwhelming imho.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I feel so bad for Oda, 'cause honestly, I think he's going to be dumped by JFS next season. He is probably going to continue until Sochi, but you're right, unless he proves to JFS he is capable of being a world champion, it's bye bye to Worlds and Olympics.

I think Oda is a very entertaining skater. His latest programs have been very underwhelming imho.

Oda is the odd man out among the top Japanese skaters. Daisuke is a consistent performer and a big draw for Japanese skating fans. Kozuka shows results and has blueblood connections. The young Hanyu has innate talent and is a marketer's dream. He is youthful, good-looking, more sociable than Kozuka, and the media plays off him being a survivor of the earthquake's effects in Sendai. It remains to be seen if he can adapt to changes in his body and deal with his stamina issues as training sessions get lengthier and more intense. Nonetheless, the JSF has struck gold with Hanyu both as an athlete and a marketing icon.

Most of all, these three guys have avoided personal scandals that have affected their professions. After the blunder at 2010 Worlds, Oda had an opportunity to right wrongs but he had a nasty fall at Beijing and then a critical Zayak incident at Moscow. He's going to have to pull something really special next season if intends to compete.

bekalc

Record Breaker

I have a hard time feeling bad for Oda. He's a great skater, but he's been given numerous opportunities and he's managed to throw them away how many times? Now if he was for the USA, ala Abbott he'd get passes because they've got no one else. But he skates for Japan and those other three Japanese guys have delivered world medals for Japan. The fact that Hanyu did it his first time out, says it all.

Great skater though and it sucks for him. But if he had skated like he was capable of multiple times, he'd not be in this position. I think in any fed, Oda would be the odd guy out It does suck though because any other fed would welcome Oda with open arms. Oh I guess I do feel bad, but I think at this point he's earned the no 4 status.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
I have a hard time feeling bad for Oda. He's a great skater, but he's been given numerous opportunities and he's managed to throw them away how many times? Now if he was for the USA, ala Abbott he'd get passes because they've got no one else. But he skates for Japan and those other three Japanese guys have delivered world medals for Japan. The fact that Hanyu did it his first time out, says it all.

Great skater though and it sucks for him. But if he had skated like he was capable of multiple times, he'd not be in this position. I think in any fed, Oda would be the odd guy out It does suck though because any other fed would welcome Oda with open arms. Oh I guess I do feel bad, but I think at this point he's earned the no 4 status.

Nah...only in the Japanese federation he's the odd one out. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any other country he can skate for in such short notice (assuming he wants to go to the Olympics).

Hanyu is indeed a marketer's dream, and so is Daisuke -recovering so quickly from a career threatening injury, winning the first Olympic medal for Japan a few months after recovery, etc. Their story speaks volume of their dedication, perseverance and strength. We are prone to emotional, heart-felt stories and these guys deliver it very well.

Oda, on the other hand, has a string of unfortunate mishaps (and this is being generous). He's the only Japanese elite skater with a known significant other, and also a son. I think that's just only selling point right now...he's skating for his family.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Maybe he should skate pairs with Satoko Miyahara? :p

doctor2014

On the Ice

I hope Oda will seriously consider skating for the U.S. That’ll be a win-win situation—good for him and good for the U.S.

**Actually, I secretly wish the U.S. will adopt Hanyu so the U.S. will win OGMs in 2014 and 2018. :biggrin:

Becki

Medalist
I hope Oda will seriously consider skating for the U.S. That’ll be a win-win situation—good for him and good for the U.S.

**Actually, I secretly wish the U.S. will adopt Hanyu so the U.S. will win OGMs in 2014 and 2018. :biggrin:

LOL even if the US will adopt Hanyu, Hanyu won't go. He has too much pride in his home town (Sendai) and country. I read someone in the US was willing to offer him training facility after the earthquake last year, but he rejected the offer. Sendai will always be close to his heart.

If Oda competes for the US, there is no doubt he will be a top contender even if he screws himself over with the jumps. But realistically, given his age and 2 years until Sochi, there's no way he can switch countries at this point unless he plans for the 2018 games. Like someone said, his best bet is to skate pairs with that tiny Japanese junior champion assuming she doesn't outgrow him =_=

treeloving

Medalist

Oda, on the other hand, has a string of unfortunate mishaps (and this is being generous). He's the only Japanese elite skater with a known significant other, and also a son. I think that's just only selling point right now...he's skating for his family.

And that sell me in, I root for him harder since he has a child. :)

I like Oda when I watched him on TV but after I have a chance to watch him live I think I understand why he is in his position. He has many good quality, but he is not skate big and do really have the attack and command or something that make him stand out like the other 3 Japanese have.

But since I watched him this year which is the season that he has an injury, may be my assessment is not right.

I hope to see him continue and win world medal. (At if he has more chance skating for US, great! ;)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Nah...only in the Japanese federation he's the odd one out. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any other country he can skate for in such short notice (assuming he wants to go to the Olympics).

Hanyu is indeed a marketer's dream, and so is Daisuke -recovering so quickly from a career threatening injury, winning the first Olympic medal for Japan a few months after recovery, etc. Their story speaks volume of their dedication, perseverance and strength. We are prone to emotional, heart-felt stories and these guys deliver it very well.

What I meant is if other federations had Daisuke, Hanyu,Kozuka, and Oda, Oda would probably be the odd one out with them too. The Japanese are blessed with ridiculous amount of riches.