Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds podium?

Worlds podium?

I still think it will be Caro unless there's a meltdown and she is not melting this year, with Mao or Akiko, 2 and 3.

Chan for sure, Dai and maybe Jeremy Abbott. I thought Fernandez but he will be smarting maybe from Euros. Or Artur into 3rd. But Florent may skate great in France so he may be bronze.

Dance ? How do they choose? D/W. V/M the Shibs are my favorires along with Weaver/Poje. But I don't watch much Ice dance.

Pairs-I don't know as I don't know whats going on with Robin/Aliona-are they healthy and competing or are they out? V/T are who I like most. Then I guess Kavaguti/Smirnov.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I still think it will be Caro unless there's a meltdown and she is not melting this year, with Mao or Akiko, 2 and 3.

Chan for sure, Dai and maybe Jeremy Abbott. I thought Fernandez but he will be smarting maybe from Euros. Or Artur into 3rd. But Florent may skate great in France so he may be bronze.

Dance ? How do they choose? D/W. V/M the Shibs are my favorires along with Weaver/Poje. But I don't watch much Ice dance.

Pairs-I don't know as I don't know whats going on with Robin/Aliona-are they healthy and competing or are they out? V/T are who I like most. Then I guess Kavaguti/Smirnov.
    It'll be interesting to see how Mao and Caro match up!

Custom Title
    I heard Javier doesn't really have good work ethics....I am going to guess he'll be 5th or 6th. For some reason, I think Michael Brezina will fight off the "4th place curse" and raise to the occasion and win Bronze. Although, I am reserving bronze for Yuzuru Hanyu :P If he can skate two clean programs, he WILL be on the podium. But of course, this is dependent on the results of all the other guy's...

If everyone skates clean, this is the men's podium:

Gold: Patrick Chan
    Silver: Daisuke Takahashi
    Bronze: Jeremy Abbott

Ladies:

Gold: Mao Asada
    Silver: Carolina Kostner
    Bronze: Akiko Suzuki

I see Alissa Czinsy in fourth place

Ice Dance

Gold: Virtue/Moir
    Silver: Davis/White (I sense it will be very close between the top two teams...if neither team makes a major mistake)
    Bronze: Weaver/Poje

Pairs

Don't really watch, but I think it will be the Russian team who won Europeans.

Custom Title
    Ill go with
    1) Mao
    2) Caro
    3) Alena

I can't see the judges placing Caro first with her jump content unless Mao has a meltdown in the LP. Alena will get (IMO undeservedly) high PCS and she is fully capable of staying on her feet. I just think that the pressure will get to Alyssa, knowing that this is her best chance to win with no Yuna, no Miki, and no young Russians. I hope I'm wrong because she really has two wonderful programs. I think Ashley will be relatively clean but doesn't have the experience or reputation to challenge for the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    II think Ashley will be relatively clean but doesn't have the experience or reputation to challenge for the podium.
    I feel that this is so sad. Ashley deserves a chance to be taken seriously! She is a good skater and if she skates her programs to their full potential, then I would be very disappointed to see the judges not giving her due credit.

Men:

Patrick Chan
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Yuzuru Hanyu

Ladies:

Mao Asada
    Carolina Kostner ( like the inconsistent Kostner is, her meltdown of course from bigger events and added pressure )
    Akiko Suzuki

hoping for the lovely and very talented skater Polina K.( but I don't want to put her on bronze as to not spoil her chances and jynx her )

Ice Dance:

Davis/White
    Virtue/Moir
    Pechalat/Bourzat

Pairs:

Volosozhar/Trankov
    Savchenko/Szolokowy
    Kavaguti/Smirnov

for ladies, i'd say

1. mao
    2. carolina
    3. akiko or alissa
    4. leonova

On the Ice
    Ice Dance:
    Virtue/Moir
    Davis/White
    Pechalat/Bourzat

Pairs:
    Savchenko/Szolokowy
    Volosozhar/Trankov
    Kavaguti/Smirnov

Ladies:
    Mao Asada
    Carolina Costner
    Akiko Suzuki

Custom Title
    Chan,D/W,S/S,Carolina

Custom Title
    This is not from expertise but from hope: Mao and Daisuke for singles, S/S for pairs. I know that Mao is likelier to win than Daisuke is, because Patrick is so good, but there's a special spot in my heart for Dai. Gotta root for him.

Of course with the injury, Savchenko and Szolkowy are a complete cipher this year, and besides, V/T are so good. But I love S/S's innovation and maturity.

Even just subjectively, I can't decide about ice dance. Both of the top couples are so stunning, and I love them both. I guess I choose D/W this year because of that glorious Die Fledermaus program, which deserves to be immortalized.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    I feel that this is so sad. Ashley deserves a chance to be taken seriously! She is a good skater and if she skates her programs to their full potential, then I would be very disappointed to see the judges not giving her due credit.
    Does she have the head for high-pressure competition though? While Wagner has done well for herself so far, keep in mind she's been chasing all this time. Let's see how she does at Four Continents- although I'm not going to hold my breath for worlds either way, even if she wins.

Ashley has gained much confidence and with Nicks, her psychologist and her new title, expect a very good skate at Worlds. My question is, how wil she be rec'd and scored there? Fairly? Reputation scoring is always there at the big events. CoP hasn't changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Ashley has gained much confidence and with Nicks, her psychologist and her new title, expect a very good skate at Worlds. My question is, how wil she be rec'd and scored there? Fairly? Reputation scoring is always there at the big events. CoP hasn't changed that.
    I think this will slightly depend on 4CC but for my part I think she just has to skate clean. Even if the judges hold her down a bit, with a relatively clean skate at Worlds (and ideally please at 4CC she will be poised to come out next year and make a big splash, and will almost certainly be scored higher then. Sometimes that's just how it is- better this is happening now than in an Oly year.

Custom Title
    Worlds are in Europe. They are Kostner's to lose. She nearly won the 2008 Worlds with 5 major mistakes, at the time when Asada and Kim were the dominant 2. Asada without the triple axel wont beat a reasonably good Kostner even lutzless unless she skates lights out. Czisny can win the bronze or even better possibly if she puts it together but probably wont. Suzuki has the best shot to round at the podium with a bronze or better as she is reliable. After her bad Europeans I highly doubt Leonova will medal. The new Russian we saw at Europeans is a bigger threat. Wagner could do the performance of her life and I cant see the judges giving her a medal, 5thish at best. Czisny and Wagner both need to skate fairly well to ensure 3 spots though.

For men Chan will win even with 6 falls, and it is highly unlikely he will have 6 as he seems to be getting over his early season funk. I actually have a feeling he might have a great performance like last years Worlds. Of course how he skates is irrelevant to result as has been shown many times, the golds are engraved with his name even if he sits on the ice and takes a dump and skates off, but it is still much nicer to see him skate really well and actually earn his wins and I have a feeling that might happen here. Takahashi has skated well this year and will take silver most likely. Abbott could win silver or bronze if he can keep his U.S Nationals form, I have my fingers crossed. If not I think it will be Fernandez who I expect to recover from Europeans, Kozuka, or Hanyu. Gaschinski will not medal even with a great skate.

In pairs I see Volosozhar & Trankov defeating Savchenko & Szolkowy for the gold. The Germans barely held them at the GP final but wont be able to here. The bronze will go to one of Pang & Tong if they skate or Kavaguti & Smirnov. If the Germans cant skate at Worlds due to injury those two teams will fight for silver. No remaining medal contenders unless the Germans and Pang & Tong both miss Worlds, in which case Duhamel & Raford and Barazova & Larionov will fight for bronze. I dont see the Zhangs on the podium no matter what.

In dance I see Davis & White continuing their recent dominance with a 2nd World title, leaving Virtue & Moir with the silver. Pechalat & Bourzat on their home ice are a lock for bronze barring a major splat.

I am greedy ... I want all my favourites to be on the podium no matter what colour the medal. Dai, Chan, Fernandez, Kozuka, Mao, Carol, Akiko! (Oppsl four men .. sigh ..one will have to settle for no colour)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast