Interview with Katarina Witt | Golden Skate

Interview with Katarina Witt

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this. I always love to hear/read what the skaters have to say for themselves, especially someone as special as Katarina Witt.

I've always liked Witt. She seems determined and confident but not egotistical or boastful. She clearly knows she's beautiful but doesn't seem to be hung up on her looks. She also has a steadiness of temperament that I admire; she doesn't seem like a drama queen. It's indicative of her personality that she became friends with at least one of her great rivals, Rosalynn Sumners, as they traveled together in Stars on Ice. (I haven't heard anything about whether she and Debi Thomas were ever friendly.) In a profile of the women of Stars on Ice that People Magazine did some years ago, she seemed to be on comfortable terms with everyone, the guys and the ladies alike. I'm so glad that she's still active in the skating world, and my only regret is that --drat!--the U.S. doesn't have enough skating fans to have a wonderful ice show like that one on TV. What do we have to do in this country to have even 1/4 of the TV time that wrestling (yuck) gets?