What would you like to see at Worlds 2012: LADIES..... | Golden Skate

What would you like to see at Worlds 2012: LADIES.....

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Gold: Carolina Kostner
Why? Because to have two Olympics as disastrous as she has means she has my sympathy; that she has found a way to continue and even win means she has my admiration. Because when I wrote this out last season, I said I would uber her this year, and she came out with two programs full of intriguing nuances and challenging artistry.
What next? Show skating. I suspect with a world title, she’ll get opportunities to grow. I’d like to see her work as a choreographer or music consultant in some way as well.

Silver: Ashley Wagner
Why? Hard work, determination, goals, attitude, natural talent, amazing beauty, terrific programs. Seven triples planned. Triple-triple in the short. The pleasing coincidence of a nation having the world senior and junior silver medalists (last year Canada had Chan/Rogozine with gold. The year before we had Pang/Tong and Sui/Han, Asada/Murakami, and Takahashi/Hanyu). What’s not to like?
What next? A one year/two year plan. Aim for Sochi like a laser.

Bronze: Mao Asada
Why? Because she doesn’t have a bronze medal. Because she’s one of the all time greats but I’m not convinced she’s great this season. Because the way she handles her troubles reminds us she’s a classy, genuine person along with an all time great. Because “Jupiter” deserves to be seen as a gala.
What next? She will win worlds next year with a fully rotated triple axel and put the RBB on notice. She’s one of the rare athletes who’s achievements seem to transcend the sport while being entirely conjoined to it at the same time.

Fourth: Akiko Suzuki
Why? Because I couldn’t take it away from Carolina, Ashley or Mao. Because a top five finish would be marvellous. Because she’s awesome. Because she landed a triple triple combination for the first time at age 26. Because she’s defied the odds. Because she has two really good programs. Did I mention she’s awesome? Maybe she should win.
What next: She’ll win worlds next year (tie with Asada) and the Japanese figure skating community will be so delighted that the sport will never die off, and we’ll get to see more and more great Japanese skaters. Their respective comebacks will inspire a generation.

I’ll keep my expectations low

Fifth: Alissa Czisny
Why? Because failed experiments deserve just as much credit sometimes as successful ones, and her attempt to get all seven triples and go for a triple-triple deserves applause. Because her short program is a thing of beauty. Because the desire to write her off after this season of growth and comebacks from other skaters seems way too pre-emptive. Because two spots in the top five, a world medal, AND the coveted three for the pre-Olympic season for the American team would be awesome.

Sixth: Ksenia Makarova
Seventh: Polina Korobeynikova or Alena Leonova

Why? Because the depth in Russian ladies isn’t to be trifled with. Because for all the brouhaha surrounding Makarova, it would be hilarious if she was the top Russian. Because I respect Alena for forging her own path even if I don’t care for it. Because I respect Polina’s abilities even if I don’t think she’s all that and cat’s pyjamas too.
What Next? LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!

Eighth: Viktoria Helgesson
Why? Because her free program to Sunset Blvd is one of the year’s best. Because it’s nice to see someone work hard at getting levels (level four footwork this year!) and PCS without letting it overwhelm them.
What next? Continued growth. I can imagine her doing a wonderful performance to “Sinfonietta”

Ninth: Elene Gedevanishvili
Why? Because leaving Morosov should be rewarded. Because she’s skating solidly this season. She looks faster, at any rate.
What next? Ehh, Truthfully, she doesn’t interest me THAT much as a skater – but branching out would be nice. No Phantom.

Tenth: Amelie LaCoste
Why: Duh. I want her to get the second spot. I want her to prove SC’s indecision and mendacious politicking wrong. And also who cares when you get down this low.
What next? A DIFFERENT COACH. One with a much smarter COP strategy. If you’ve got a negligible success rate with a jump, why include it in the short program?

Gold - Akiko, because it would be so amazing. She's a total delight, with two effervescent programs, and adding a 3-3 at this point in her career is just :jaw:.

Silver - Carolina, who's a new favorite of mine and has had a wondrous season. If she earns gold I'm fine with that, but she seems to be a judge's favorite this year and I'm a little worried about her getting the win even if someone else outskates her.

Bronze - Mao, for the reasons you give, but only if she skates well.

Fourth - Ashley because of her new fight and good programs.

Fifth - Elena, whose return to form with the move to Brian Orser I'm as excited about as a lot of people here are about Caroline Zhang. I've been hoping for her to shine since the Torino Olympics and I'm tired of waiting.

Sixth - Kanako, another of my favorites, so Japan can get four spots next year. :p

Seventh - Polina K, because she looks like a thoroughbred.

Eighth - Yrethe Silete because she's the best French ladies' skater I've seen.

Ninth - Alissa, just so we can get the darn spots. I'm hoping Alissa's slow, cautious skating isn't gifted by the judges, unless of course she steps it up.

Tenth - Makarova, because I'd like to see her do better than Leonova.

I wish Tut were going to be there!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Fifth - Ashley. Because Shin Amano is tough, tough, tough on underrotating and double footing.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Fifth - Ashley. Because Shin Amano is tough, tough, tough on underrotating and double footing.

Have there been any particular competitions where Shin Amano was so strict and skaters had a lot of UR and downgrades? I'm not very familiar with him. Do you have any examples? I know that often some judges are more lenient than others.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...cal-panels-are&p=626683&viewfull=1#post626683

This assertion has come up from time to time, that Amano is not only tough, but tough on Japanese skaters particularly, having been on panels that downgraded Mao's 3As.

Strictly speaking, since the tech panel is a majority vote, it's possible it was the other 2 panel members who were tough, but Japanese fans seem very concerned about him, and they are more likely to know than I am.

I will be happy with either Suzuki or Kostner for gold. No problem if it's Asada, though.

Lacoste, Hegelson and Marchei to make top ten, Also Kexin Zhang. (I just Googled "Kexin figure skater" to get her name right and got hits for Kevin Reynolds and Kevin van der Perren.)

I hope Czisny and Wagner get three spots for U.S. ladies. Both to just skate solid programs.

macy

Record Breaker
agree with imaginary pogue. 2-4 could be ashley, akiko, or mao. i think the highest alissa can place would be 4th given she has two good skates. i'm just hoping that she and ashley have two awesome skates and end the season on a great note.

hurrah

Medalist
I would like to see placements that are the results of impeccable, clear, understandable, fair judging.

Lilyvalley

Rinkside
I`d like to see good skating.
I think Kostner,Asada will be the best because they are the stars of FS.
To be honest most of all I wait Polina Korobeynikova`s skating. I know that she can`t be on podium yet, but I hope she`ll skate beautiful.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
This is what I'd LIKE to see (different from what WILL happen I'm sure):

GOLD Mao Asada

I'd love to see Mao win because, to me, she's one of the most beautiful, graceful, gifted skaters in the history of the sport. And I love her Liebestraum long program. I would love to see her skate her best and win her third gold medal.

SILVER Carolina Kostner

Historically I've never been a big fan of Kostner's, but she's really impressed me the last two seasons with improved consistency and mature, sophisticated programs. I think she really deserves to be on the podium this year.

BRONZE Akiko Suzuki

It's such a joy to watch Akiko. I just love the way she skates with such freedom and happiness. She's a personal favorite of mine, and I find her continued progress and growth inspiring. I'd love to see her break through and win a medal this year.

FOURTH Ashley Wagner

Ashley has made incredible progress this season, and it would be great to see her solidify her gains with a top-5 finish at Worlds.

FIFTH Alissa Czisny

Alissa's season has been so disappointing so far, but she remains a great talent and certainly the best ladies' spinner in the world. I hope she can pull it together for another top-5 finish at Worlds. Any placement lower than that will be not only disappointing but also damaging to her career I think.

Below this, I don't really have any strong opinions. Except I'm excited to see Polina Korobeynikova and hope she skates as well as she did at Europeans.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It's always dangerous to try to predict what will happen at these events b/c the ice is slippery and you never know what might happen.

Under the assumption that all of the ladies skate cleanly, here's what I'd predict.

Gold: No one in this group can match up with Mao Asada going toe-to-toe when she's firing on all cylinders. Her technical content and her artistry make her nigh untouchable when she skates cleanly. If she nails all of her jumps (including the 3As) she'll be too hard to catch. Clean jumps leave a better impression which means her PCS would see a hike, and add that to her gorgeous appearance on the ice and the strength of her programs this year (in particular her "Libestraum" masterpiece) and you've got a world champion, no doubt.

Silver: IMO, this would be a close call between Carolina Kostner and Ashley Wagner. I'd say given the technical content, I'd give the edge to Ashley. Like Carolina, she's got two solid and well-received programs this year; unlike Carolina, she's got a tougher technical load and that could give her the edge she'd need to get past Carolina's PCS. Ashley's proven she's a contender this year and if she can hit that 3-3 in her SP and go clean in the LP the judges will definitely reward her.

Bronze: Carolina has found a way to make watered down content pay off in a big way and I'm not even mad at her. Her programs are some of my favorite this year and when she skates cleanly she's amazing. I think she'd probably earn the highest or within a point of the highest PCS, but she'd probably have the lowest technical content. Her jumps (when clean) are gorgeous and her spins are sufficient but not as hard or good as Mao's or Ashley's.

4th: I'd pick Akiko Suzuki for 4th. Her programs are fabulous (as always) and she's finally getting the respect she deserves from the judges. If she nails that 3-3 she'll put herself very close to the podium...but not quite there. I'd love to see her on the podium but (assuming everyone is skating well) I'd say 4th is her best placement.

5th: I'd put Kanako as a close 5th. Her SP is wonderfully choreographed and she skates it with maturity and passion as well as speed and power. With her massive 3-3 and other jumps, I think she'd narrowly edge Alissa for 5th...in a perfect world.

6th: I pick Alissa for 6th if she skates cleanly and that might be shocking to some. Alissa is gorgeous to watch but when you compare her jump content, speed, power and the strength of her programs to Akiko or Kanako, she doesn't match up IMO. She outshines them only in spins and appearance on the ice, but in terms of transitions, speed, power, difficulty and choreography (specifically in the LP)...she can't compete. In my perfect world, her dull LP and cautious skating wouldn't be held up over Akiko or Kanako.

So those are my predictions assuming everyone was perfect...but we know that won't be the case. I do hope to see Mao turn in a good performance but I'm thinking she might end up 2nd. Carolina's been on a roll this year so she's actually my pick for gold...but if Ashley can have a repeat performance of 4CC I wouldn't be shocked if she placed 2nd or even 1st, especially if Mao and Carolina have issues. I'd like to see Akiko and Kanako have strong skates and, depending on their content and how others skate, they can shake up the podium. I really hope Alissa can shake off her last few performances and skate decently but I'm pretty doubtful about her making the podium. Of course you have to factor in the Russians and a few others as well so it's going to be interesting to see how this one shakes out.

Regardless, I just want to see some good skating...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I hope Czisny and Wagner get three spots for U.S. ladies. Both to just skate solid programs.

This.

That is all I care about.

But as for what I'd LIKE to see...both of them on the podium. They are both capable of it, but unfortunately one of them is off her game and might be a struggle just to stay in the hunt.

npavel

On the Ice
I would like to see
god skating and
fair judging and
that fans look at the beauty of skating and don't put out there bias of someone, but look at what is great of each one who skates
I know, too much to ask, but as much as possible that's what I wish. And the best should win

Vicky458

On the Ice
I would love to see everyone skate two clean beautiful programs with no mistakes. Not likely, but it would be nice to see clean programs with all the required elements executed without fault. We haven't seen that kind of skating since Kwan retired.

Macassar88

Medalist
I think that Kostner really deserves the title this year. IIRC, she's only lost to Tuktamisheva this season, and her programs are beautiful. That said, I also hope she has two triple flips to up her technical content.
I'd like to see Mao win silver since she's been working so hard. I want her to have a clean skate.
I'd like to see Korobeynikova win a bronze because I love her jump technique so much and it would likely mean that Russia would have three spots next year.