Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
If you attempt a jump, you get points based on the difficulty of the takeoff and the number of times you rotate in the air. You lose some of those points if there are mistakes on the takeoff, the rotation (e.g., only 3 1/2 when you were trying for 4), or landing. The most severe penalties are if you underrotate by half a revolution or more and also fall. If the jump as a whole is better than just satisfactory, you get extra points."

That pretty well explains what's being rewarded.
I understand all that. But having achieved this understanding, I do not feel educated, I feel bamboozled.

This is a crazy and counter-intuitive system of values. Why is is the base value reduced for under-rotation, but you get full base value for a fall? (That was rhetorical -- I know the answer. Because the CoP says so.)

Look how good I can skate! True, I fell down, but look how good I can skate!! What, you can't see how good my skating is? Read more rules and you will see the light.

What I am objecting to is the view that if you don't like the scoring system the only possible explanation for your dislike is that you are ignorant of how the system works. When people suggest that maybe we should make this or that change, the response is -- "No, no (I must be patient with this sad fellow), we can't do it that way because that is not the way we do it. Don't you understand?" *sigh* We must make a greater effort to educate people."

As for falls...no no no, keep the shiny side down! ...I think the problem is what to do about half-falls, hands down, and saved jumps that disrupt the program as much as a fall does. My suggestion is

0% of base value for an outright splat.

25% of base value for near fall, hands down, etc.

50% of base value for step out, foot down, struggling to maintain balance.

75% of base value for not landing on a smooth running edge.

100% of base value for properly done element.

+GOE if there is something special about it.

I also think that skatinginbc's proposal to multiply the difficulty score by the execution score has merit, so that an element which is really badly executed will get next to nothing.

Athletes will do whatever the scoring system rewards them for. If we withhold rewards for badly executed elements, the quality of execution will go up.