pairs sp | Page 20 | Golden Skate

pairs sp

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think fair judging would put T/T first. They have more unison, more transitions than both the top 2 teams. PCS, if judged correctly, would put them first on CH, IN, PE, TR. S/S have better SS. That's it.
If T/T are more consistent, they are definitely in the hunt for medals.

I saw D/C live, and I think their score don't reflect what they did. They should be 2 points above what they got.

I'm impressed that S/S went for the 3ATh knowing what V/T and K/S did. That mentality will serve them well.

Saw the protocol for K/S, even without that freak fall (no idea what happened, it looked like she's about to exit the lift and then both just collapsed), they still couldn't manage to make top 3. Really unfortunate. Maybe their time has passed. A few years ago, they were always 2nd or 3rd after the SP.

KKonas

Medalist
Pairs Short Judging panel as seated today: JPN, FRA, USA, ITA, GER, GBR, CAN, AUT, BLR Tech Panel - Ref: SUI, TC FIN, TS USA, ATS FRA Same Panel for Free but seated differently

mousepotato

On the Ice
I think fair judging would put T/T first. They have more unison, more transitions than both the top 2 teams. PCS, if judged correctly, would put them first on CH, IN, PE, TR. S/S have better SS. That's it.
If T/T are more consistent, they are definitely in the hunt for medals.

I saw D/C live, and I think their score don't reflect what they did. They should be 2 points above what they got.

I'm impressed that S/S went for the 3ATh knowing what V/T and K/S did. That mentality will serve them well.

Saw the protocol for K/S, even without that freak fall (no idea what happened, it looked like she's about to exit the lift and then both just collapsed), they still couldn't manage to make top 3. Really unfortunate. Maybe their time has passed. A few years ago, they were always 2nd or 3rd after the SP.

T/T and even D/C just aren't up to the level of teams to have been together for over 10 years, it just isn't going to happen. I saw D/C at nationals and even though they landed all their elements and her positions are improving, his aren't and they are still very scratchy. Narumi still skates very stiff and the short program choreography hides that but it's still there. They did a great job for 2 1/2 minutes but can they last in the free?

K/S exited the lift the way they were supposed to but if you look at his left skate it slipped right out from under him, he said the ice was fresh and hadn't been skated on. That's just as bad as skating in a rut, it happens, he has to be the strongest men in pairs (I have many pics :laugh:) and unless he was hurting he just doesn't dump a lift. This is not Yuko’s favorite short and certainly not up to part with 'The Swan' (2nd place in 09-10) or Rondo Capriccioso (4th in 08 and 3rd in 09) but I would hardly say their time has passed.

K/S lowest free skate score this is 122.29, T/T highest is only 114.20. So with only 5.79 separating them, I wouldn't count anyone out.

Macassar88

Medalist
Error in judging?
In the protocols, Sui and Han got a +1 on their GOE for their level 4 footwork, but only .7 was added to the base value of the element. According to the 1611 document, +1 GOE on level 4 footwork gives 1.0 bonus points.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Error in judging?
In the protocols, Sui and Han got a +1 on their GOE for their level 4 footwork, but only .7 was added to the base value of the element. According to the 1611 document, +1 GOE on level 4 footwork gives 1.0 bonus points.

They will get 1 point extra in GOE if all judges give +1. I guess some gave them 0?

StellaCampo

On the Ice
This is not Yuko’s favorite short and certainly not up to part with 'The Swan' (2nd place in 09-10) or Rondo Capriccioso (4th in 08 and 3rd in 09) but I would hardly say their time has passed.

The pattern in the past was that they had a strong SP which put them in the last group for LP. This way they moved up the ladder very quickly in their career. The music they used for SPs suited them as well. In the last 2 years their choice of music has changed, not necessarily to their advantage. Though commentators praised them for experimenting, the results didn't follow. It is now hard to believe that at Vancouver K/S were only 2 points behind S/Z after SP. I am very upset about the way their career has gone. Since their debut in 2006 they've only had 3 complete seasons out of 6. I wouldn't like to write them off, but I fear they are running out of steam.

Macassar88

Medalist
I personally agreed with most of the results. When I judged for myself, I had

Savchenko and Szolkowy with 66.8
Takahashi and Tran with 66.0
Pang and Tong with 65.6
Bazarova and Larionov with 65.3

I disagreed with Duhamel and Radford's score and thought they should have placed much lower, I had Denney and Coughlin above Sui and Han, I had berton and Hojtarek above V/T

bsfan

On the Ice
Pairs Short Judging panel as seated today: JPN, FRA, USA, ITA, GER, GBR, CAN, AUT, BLR Tech Panel - Ref: SUI, TC FIN, TS USA, ATS FRA Same Panel for Free but seated differently

Why would there be judges from JPN, USA(1+), GER, CAN when they have top skaters and no RUS judge? I can feel the stricker treatment to russian teams here.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Videos are up on Youtube! This user has a bunch of the pairs' SPs in decent quality: http://www.youtube.com/user/DeserveGold

Thanks!

The pattern in the past was that they had a strong SP which put them in the last group for LP. This way they moved up the ladder very quickly in their career. The music they used for SPs suited them as well. In the last 2 years their choice of music has changed, not necessarily to their advantage. Though commentators praised them for experimenting, the results didn't follow. It is now hard to believe that at Vancouver K/S were only 2 points behind S/Z after SP. I am very upset about the way their career has gone. Since their debut in 2006 they've only had 3 complete seasons out of 6. I wouldn't like to write them off, but I fear they are running out of steam.

They were 2.50 pts behind S/Z but anyway

:confused:

Their first year they only had 3 competitions

Then 3 full seasons 08-09-10

Then they both had surgery, her on her dislocated shoulder and he on his groin (which Trankov also had-so it’s not uncommon) and they only had 4 competitions that year (2010-2011) and they medaled 3 out 4, they took 4th at Worlds last year.

This year they won gold twice, one silver and one bronze, missed nationals because his knee was sore. And while they were practicing for Euros his appendix burst. Can’t exactly fault him for that. And if not for this freak fall they would be right up there, their high this year was 65.17, and like I said the free isn’t over. They have one of the highest free skate score and programs in the world.

Don't forget at NHK they were 5th and managed to win. Being 5.79 points out of a medal will be a challange they can accept.

Waaaaayyyy to early to count them out, they have only been together since 2006. S/H have been together since 2007.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Error in judging?

If it were an error, it would be an error in scoring (accounting/programming error), not an error by the judges.

However, it is correct. There was a change made to the scale of values in ISU Communication No. 1672 -- which unfortunately is not easily available on the ISU website at present. According to those changes in the scale of values, the values of the positive GOEs for level 4 and choreo sequences are 0.7 for +1, 1.4 for +2, 2.1 for +3.

For example, in the pairs protocols today you can see that Savchenko/Szolkowy and Pang/Tong have five 2s and four 1s (or four and three, respectively, after trimming) for their level 4 step sequences, but their GOE for that element is 1.10. If the GOE values were still 1.0 for +1 and 2.0 for +2, then their average GOE would have been 1.43, not 1.10.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
S/S's 3ATh got mostly -2 GOE, and then there are some judges who gave them +1. Need transparency in judging. Those who gave inexplicable scores should be fine AND banned.

T/T and even D/C just aren't up to the level of teams to have been together for over 10 years, it just isn't going to happen. I saw D/C at nationals and even though they landed all their elements and her positions are improving, his aren't and they are still very scratchy. Narumi still skates very stiff and the short program choreography hides that but it's still there. They did a great job for 2 1/2 minutes but can they last in the free?
D/C aren't up to the level of the top teams, but T/T are better. P/T after 20 years still don't have the unison and the lightness of T/T. They should be scored for 2 1/2 minutes, yes? What they put out should place them first. What part of PCS do you think S/S and P/T are truly better than T/T?

mousepotato

On the Ice
S/S's 3ATh got mostly -2 GOE, and then there are some judges who gave them +1. Need transparency in judging. Those who gave inexplicable scores should be fine AND banned.

D/C aren't up to the level of the top teams, but T/T are better. P/T after 20 years still don't have the unison and the lightness of T/T. They should be scored for 2 1/2 minutes, yes? What they put out should place them first. What part of PCS do you think S/S and P/T are truly better than T/T?

P/T are far better than T/T. T/T are below P/T and S/S in all PCS categories except many chor, that's really personal preference.

cassiem

On the Ice
I don't agree that P/T are far ahead of T/T in PCS. Pang has improved but there's still something awkward about her. Narumi has better posture and positions and is more elegant overall.

tampro1

Rinkside
V/T in 8th and K/S in 11th, thats so strange to see. How with just one fall you end up so low..And their pcs are not very good. :(
At least I am happy for S/S, I think they will win! :yay:

Those weren't the fall and get right back up type of falls. Those were horrific falls. V/T fall on death spiral and pull your partner down with you. K/S fall on lift and fall on top of your partner. Very strange but luckily no injuries. Even if there was a Russian judge on the panel, that wouldn't of saved them with the current scoring system.

Kinga

Medalist

I agree! What are they smoking? +1 or 0 GOE?

Also, quite a few +2 on P/T lift? It was one of the most ugly unstrechted position ever. +2? Really?

cassiem

On the Ice
I agree! What are they smoking? +1 or 0 GOE?

Also, quite a few +2 on P/T lift? It was one of the most ugly unstrechted position ever. +2? Really?
It's no wonder that fewer pairs are bothering to work on lift positions when they see that judges don't seem to care one bit.