The Hunger Games | Golden Skate

The Hunger Games

Johar

Medalist
Definitely go see this film. There isn't much gore in this (the books are alot more violent) and it exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:
It sounds good, well made, and faithful to the books, though a bit tense for me. I haven't read the books, but I think the idea is very interesting and thought-provoking.

Johar

Medalist
They were treated like celebs before the Games--they had hair, makeup and clothes done before going out on a stage for interviews on TV. I sat there watching thinking of how only 1 of 24 was going to live. Sponsorship brought more weapons and protection.

Citizens were made to watch the Games on TVs.

heyang

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed the movie. Some people really nitpicked where some small details were omitted (i.e. Rue's district sending Katniss bread, the Muttations looking like the deceased tributes, Petta losing a leg.) All of those details had little relevance to the remaining 2 books..... I had to go back and read the end of the book just to verify if Peeta lost his leg or not.... it was barely mentioned!

I also thought that the added scenes of President Snow and the Flickerman etc were well done.

BTW, incredibly, some idiots are upset that Rue was cast with a black actress.... I have a feeling that the person didn't read the book and/or is an idiot.
http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/...mes-fans-upset-that-character-of-rue-is-black

The opening violence was handled really well as a fast montage and the remaining deaths were appropriate to the moment in the movie. I plan to take my 12 yr old nephew to see it in a couple of weeks. I went with a friend 1st to make sure it wasn't 'too much'.

BTW, incredibly, some idiots are upset that Rue was cast with a black actress.... I have a feeling that the person didn't read the book and/or is an idiot.
http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/...mes-fans-upset-that-character-of-rue-is-black

I read about that, and I couldn't believe it. I had hoped that we were beyond such narrow-mindedness. There's a British TV adventure series called Merlin; it's a rather anachronistic show (a lot of modernized elements, though nominally set in the Middle Ages), which features the characters of Camelot in their teen years. (You can sense the intended audience here.) The young woman who plays Guinevere is black. Her casting reflects the fact that Britain is now a multiracial country, with a diverse TV viewership and an equally diverse pool of actors. Thank goodness for such progress! Most of the young people I know (and a few adults) are devoted fans of the show and love the unusual casting.

Meanwhile, a bunch of Narnia fan friends and I have been discussing the possibility of more diverse casting of characters if they ever make any of the other books into movies after Voyage of the Dawn Treader. (Considering how badly that film did, it's less than likely that more installments in the series are forthcoming, alas.) I floated the idea that one of the main children, Jill, should be either multiracial, black, or Asian, and a lot of my friends welcomed that idea as a symbol of the worldwide audience of Narnia fans. This is the 21st century, and the world is not a compartmentalized place--and that should be joyously reflected in popular culture. It's great that filmmakers of The Hunger Games (which include the book's author, who collaborated on the screenplay) subscribe to that idea.

I hope the din dies down, and the sensible fans of Hunger Games prevail.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Have not read the books-don't have time-have seen many ads for movie-can Johar please give a synopsis of this story? I was wondering if I would like this movie, so a basic synopsis would help- all I've seen is a girl with an bow skewer an apple ??-

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Loved the books and loved the movie. Can't wait for the second movie in 2013..... 42

heyang

Record Breaker
Loved the books and loved the movie. Can't wait for the second movie in 2013..... 42

Me, too! While I loved Harry Potter and Twilight, too, Hunger Games is the only YA series that I've read multiple times.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Skateluvr, this gave me a little insight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games

Thanks Dee, it is disheartening to ask questions and people ignore you. It is a bit clicky here at goldenskate. The mods should know that and make sure evry question, esp about help learning the scoring system for older, "challenged " learners are answered. Doris is very kind at answers and Toni, too. I will pose my question again to the folks in the edge. Now I know what it's about. A plausible, even likely future. Sounds like people like it. We did have a movie thread, think I'll bring that up. Not belonging to Netflix-just don't like a lot of current sex/violence stuff-redbox has little to choose-one Blockbuster video remains in city- a distance from me. I think I can wait to see it til it comes to redbox. I trust You guys (mature ladies) more than the critics-they like most everything it seems!
zNever thought to searcg for reviews on Wiki- I guess everything is on there. Thanks again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I read about that, and I couldn't believe it. I had hoped that we were beyond such narrow-mindedness. There's a British TV adventure series called Merlin; it's a rather anachronistic show (a lot of modernized elements, though nominally set in the Middle Ages), which features the characters of Camelot in their teen years. (You can sense the intended audience here.) The young woman who plays Guinevere is black. Her casting reflects the fact that Britain is now a multiracial country, with a diverse TV viewership and an equally diverse pool of actors. Thank goodness for such progress! Most of the young people I know (and a few adults) are devoted fans of the show and love the unusual casting.

Meanwhile, a bunch of Narnia fan friends and I have been discussing the possibility of more diverse casting of characters if they ever make any of the other books into movies after Voyage of the Dawn Treader. (Considering how badly that film did, it's less than likely that more installments in the series are forthcoming, alas.) I floated the idea that one of the main children, Jill, should be either multiracial, black, or Asian, and a lot of my friends welcomed that idea as a symbol of the worldwide audience of Narnia fans. This is the 21st century, and the world is not a compartmentalized place--and that should be joyously reflected in popular culture. It's great that filmmakers of The Hunger Games (which include the book's author, who collaborated on the screenplay) subscribe to that idea.

I hope the din dies down, and the sensible fans of Hunger Games prevail.

If it's a movie going for historical accuracy (or tv series for that matter) I sometimes get annoyed when they cast a character "incorrectly to the times." In fantasy type situations, though, or "what ifs" it doesn't matter... but certain other films - even with how much progress we've made - it just doesn't work. It's not a slight to others, it's just how one "needs" to visualize...

ETA - I'm not sure I want to see the movie or read the books first. I never got into HP or Twilight (and have no desire to do so now)... but Hunger Games' trailors has me interested... I just don't know when I'd have time to read the books... I'm reading three books as it is now!

Last edited: