Ice Dance - short dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - short dance

noidont

Final Flight
For some reason I can never enjoy PB (constume perhaps). I would personally put CL in third, IK in fourth...

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Can someone explain all the negative GOE on the rhumba section? I mean even D/W got some negative GOE, I/K for example got -1 and -2 across the board. And they are not the only one, I believe Tessa and Scott are the only couple who received +GOE.

jcoates

Medalist
Protocols are really interesting. H/D had the highest base value today. Both V/M and D/W had the same base value with three level 3s (both rhumba seqs and the step seq). Difference was GOE which in hindsight seems a bit inflated for V/M on a couple of elements (twizzles, lift in particular). I can live with the PCS. Both P/B and WP had higher base base value than the Canton teams today. All teams got dinged somewhere. This judging panel seems to be very nitpicky.

Redstone

Rinkside
Can someone explain all the negative GOE on the rhumba section? I mean even D/W got some negative GOE, I/K for example got -1 and -2 across the board. And they are not the only one, I believe Tessa and Scott are the only couple who received +GOE.
Zhulin said that Nikita had a little jump on the choctaw which can lead to negative GOE

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
It's a transitional lift - one allowed in short dance.

katia

On the Ice
noidont, so you say that you would put W/P 5th? Because if so I completely do not agree with you. I think P/B were over-marked, but that's probably because the competition is in France.
And the difference between P/B and W/P is not very great, so W/P can be 3rd overall, although that would mean that all medals would go to NorthAm, so the judges will not do it.
It will be (probably ) D/W, V/M, P/B (although it might be V/M, D/W, P/B)

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist

I think it might be that some of the edges or steps that weren't key points may have not been executed as well as possible.
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-204785-222008-173275-0-file,00.pdf
Page 12

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocols are really interesting. H/D had the highest base value today. Both V/M and D/W had the same base value with three level 3s (both rhumba seqs and the step seq). Difference was GOE which in hindsight seems a bit inflated for V/M on a couple of elements (twizzles, lift in particular). I can live with the PCS. Both P/B and WP had higher base base value than the Canton teams today. All teams got dinged somewhere. This judging panel seems to be very nitpicky.

The GPF panel was WAY lax, me thinks and basically the judges got a talking to afterward. That's why I think the 4CC and Worlds scores look so shocking!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Zhulin said that Nikita had a little jump on the choctaw which can lead to negative GOE

I think they need to re-examine all these levels and Y/N results with the step pattern sequences. It's far too subjective and inconsistent. Some judges give +2, some give -1, in some competitions it's a Level 4, and then others it's a Level 2. Some of the most hardcore skating fans can't even determine where these marks come from.

It should just be like the choreographed spiral sequence: ONE level, and then the GOE determines how well the element is done. It's really that simple.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Protocols are interesting.... very interesting....

Both V/M and D/W were given level 3's on both rhumba sequences and the step sequence. P/B got a level 4 on both of the rhumbas. Where I don't agree is on the PCS scores for P/B and W/P. There is no way that W/P should have lower PCS than I/K. That's ridiculous. Of all the rhumbas out there, it was V/M and W/P who had the very best latin feel to their dance. Sorry, but P/B were tentative and not completely Latin. W/P were strong and awesome. There is no way they should have any PCS marks in the 7's. I understand that P/B are on home ice, and she was injured, and it is spectacular that they are even skating, and then putting in a solid performance. But the way the PCS were awarded looks more than a little suspicious to me. 69 is way too high for what they did, especially compared to W/P. I'd almost tie D/W and W/P, and maybe even put W/P ahead. D/W were not fully on their game today.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
noidont, so you say that you would put W/P 5th? Because if so I completely do not agree with you. I think P/B were over-marked, but that's probably because the competition is in France.
And the difference between P/B and W/P is not very great, so W/P can be 3rd overall, although that would mean that all medals would go to NorthAm, so the judges will not do it.
It will be (probably ) D/W, V/M, P/B (although it might be V/M, D/W, P/B)

And that is why the general public has problems treating figure skating and ice dance like the sport it is. That's the issue right there. It should be about what was skated, whatever that means in results. If 3 North American teams are that good, then they should win. If they aren't, then they shouldn't. It's that simple.

jcoates

Medalist
The GPF panel was WAY lax, me thinks and basically the judges got a talking to afterward. That's why I think the 4CC and Worlds scores look so shocking!

You're probably right, and I'm ok with that, just wondering why V/M's margin of GOE on certain elements (lift and twizzles) is so large. I am not saying the placement was wrong, just questioning the margin given the fact that levels were the same and PCS was far closer.