Ice Dance - short dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - short dance

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
In this case, there is definitely a halo effect from skating on home ice while injured, whether deliberate or not. I'm not arguing the levels so much, since the judges tended to like the Kry/Car camp of rhumbas better than the Canton rhumbas. That was a definite trend. It's all so close it's hard to judge on the rhumba itself. On the quality of execution of the elements, W/P had more attack, they oozed latin flavour out of every pore of their bodies through every element, they were fast, they had great unison, and their lines and edges were fantastic. There was a time when I'd agree with you that W/P skating skills (especially W) were not good enough for the top. Not today in the SD. They were fully on their game. I'm going to watch this again, but I think W/P were maybe even better than D/W today. It was that good. P/B were slower, more careful, did not have a good latin interpretation, and generally did not have the full body movement that W/P had. W/P skated lights out. So when W/P are behind I/K in PCS (ridiculous), and P/B are almost the same score as D/W who were only 1.3ish points away from V/M, yes, my eyebrows are raised. Not many skaters had a personal best today. The judging was much harder than in Quebec, but they still came out with a personal best, even though their skate was not as good as Quebec. It was out of line with how the rest of the competition was judged, which I thought was mostly fair, if a little harsh.

Then I think I might have misinterpreted you a bit. Don't get me wrong, W/P certainly have the SS to be at the top, but P/B are still better. There are areas were I think W/P are better, and there are areas where I think P/B were better. I just don't see any suspicious judging, that's all. :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to V/M, D/W and P/B they all skated like the champions that they are. Bravo!
Shout out to C/L and W/P fabulous skating from them too! I am a happy camper.

heyhey

On the Ice
Hello everyone,

Considering that overall the pairs short today was sub-par to say the least - I have to give credit to all the ice dance teams that just brought it. Period. This event is far from over but if today is any indication of what is in store for the FDs - shall be a barn burner...

KKonas

Medalist
Trankov was right. The ice is soft. I never saw so much snow sprayed at a Worlds in my life! And I have attended many Worlds. Poje sprayed snow on every corner, which is why the GOEs and SS were lower. He wasn't the only guy with this issue, but it just shows his basic edges are not as good as Moir or White.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Virtue and moir will not be beaten tomorrow funny face has become an artistic and technical marvel the hurdle to clear was the SD they have had little difficulty getting almost all level 4`s for their fd across the board all year D&W fd just does not cut it amymore it has not improved since skate america i even think pechalat and bourzat might challenge them for silver.

I'm feeling a bit let-down... the political explanations (judges, home team) make sense but are depressing. And I would understand if V/M beat D/W on PCS because the formers' skate today was so alive... but tech? OTOH, why did Meryl and Charlie take out that cool fishdive ending they had at 4CC? I hope the judging is fair tomorrow. Otherwise, Meryl should make sure to break her nose next year.

BTW, where is Doris?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I just finished watching the last three groups on our tv, but I can comment to the things I understand from icedance:
Capelini/Lanote get my vote for best dress and best program and then Natalie and Fabian, for their courage. Kudos to french team for being there to cheer!
I liked Tessa's dress most from early in the season, the blue one. This one was not very rumba like. Too bad that Carron/Jones didnt qualify, I liked them a lot at Euros. I dont understand why R/T are so low, I always like them more than I/K, and I read Bobrova had birthday today, thats a bad birthday gift!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not so sure D and W deserve to win the gold if they skate their best and V and M skate their best. They both have amazing performances and it is kind of some like Chinese food and others like Italian both are good which one do you like unless someone makes an error. I do think V and M deserved today's win and the spread should have been more as I mentioned earlier but I also thought P and B were too close far too close to D and W and that W and P should have been closer. Originally I th uoght I and K were overmarked but when you look at their performance i agree it should be higher than the Italians but in the end they are basically tied. I still believe that V and M and D and W if they skate their best should tie technically but on PCS V and M deserve the win.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
V/M deserve to be in the lead. For D/W were overmarked, there is no way they were 4 points better that W/P who I think are hard done by to be back in 4th. Enjoyed P/B, it had a real sense of fun to it.

I would have it
V/M (clear lead)
W/P (my favourite of the night)
P/B (real party feel)
D/W (overmarked, but I thought they expected much higher)

Was very impressed with I/K for the first 2/3rd of the dance and then it petered out, they really catch your attention starting of. Enjoyed C/L but again I think they performed this better the first time I seen it but they were better than in Euros. Dissapointed for B/S was really enjoying their dance till the fall and then they seemed to lose it, they were hit a bit on the levels. I would have had R/T above them. I/K can really lay claim to the Russian No.1 spot if they skate well in the free. There is no way the Shibs PCS should be up with C/L and I/K, they had a really cold and distant performance there was no latin spirit.

Glad to see that the couple from Azeribaijan got through, they have one of the best free dances. The second french couple were really punished. I thought the couple from Uzbekistan was hard done by.

Two things that I noticed from the short dance were;

1 - The obsession with everyone wearing black. It doesn't strike me as being very latin.
2 - The terrible choice of music, some of it was painful to listen to

Also what was up with Marina and the shades?

Art&Sport

Medalist
I am not so sure D and W deserve to win the gold if they skate their best and V and M skate their best. They both have amazing performances and it is kind of some like Chinese food and others like Italian both are good which one do you like unless someone makes an error. I do think V and M deserved today's win and the spread should have been more as I mentioned earlier but I also thought P and B were too close far too close to D and W and that W and P should have been closer. Originally I th uoght I and K were overmarked but when you look at their performance i agree it should be higher than the Italians but in the end they are basically tied. I still believe that V and M and D and W if they skate their best should tie technically but on PCS V and M deserve the win.

Your view, b/c that's how you see it. My view is that both D/W and V/M are very equal in all abilities. It comes down to their performances, to the subjectivity, and to the politics. Also, it's my view that the music, choreo and costumes for D/W's free dance are great and they have been steadily improving this masterpiece all season long. V/M's fd OTOH is fun and okay, and they fixed some of the drawbacks with it to try and make it stronger. However, I think it is kind of a cheesy program and I don't like their costumes. I don't think the program really suits their strengths that well (it doesn't conjure Astaire and Audrey at all for me, nor does their interpretation overcome the failed association with Astaire and Audrey in the film).

Art&Sport

Medalist
V/M deserve to be in the lead. For D/W were overmarked, there is no way they were 4 points better that W/P who I think are hard done by to be back in 4th. Enjoyed P/B, it had a real sense of fun to it.

I would have it
V/M (clear lead)
W/P (my favourite of the night)
P/B (real party feel)
D/W (overmarked, but I thought they expected much higher)

Well, that's who you like then, and you calls it as you sees it. If you don't like D/W that much and think they were overmarked that much, why not simply toss them out of the competition altogether. :laugh:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Overall, a really fantastic event. It was amazing to see so many teams skate without major mistakes.

I still don't love V/M's SD, but they were so on today. Everything just seemed to fall into place. They beat D/W in the technical (based on the GOE, levels were identical) and PCS scores, which seems fair. It was by far the best they've ever skated this, and the placement was well deserved.

D/W seemed a bit flat to me today, and the program isn't exactly a masterpiece to begin with. Still good, but I think the scores were pretty fair here.

I have a huge issue with P/B's placement. Much as I love them, they were sloppy today and seemed a little flat performance wise as well. There's no way they should have beaten W/P at all, let alone by 3 points (and on the PCS mark no less). And they definately shouldn't have been anywhere near that close to D/W. Clearly home ice advantage was at play here.

W/P, once again, got shafted. I'm really getting tired of this. They were spectacular today, got great levels, totally captured the latin feel and didn't put a foot wrong. Yet, no matter how well they do, they never get rewarded. If anyone deserved to be close to V/M and D/W, it was them. They were held down at the GP final, and its happened here again. It's funny how home ice advantage did nothing to help them in Quebec City, but seems to be working out well for the French here (BTW, I have absolutely nothing against P/B, who I love. It's the judging that bothers me, not them). I hope, by some miracle, they can move up to bronze, but given the judging and the 3 point deficit, I doubt it. I just hope all of this doesn't discourage them too much.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
art and sport that is just music bias in your case just because davis and white chose a famous composer to bombastic music does not make it a masterpiece, what V&M did with funny fave is extremely difficult, there is different moods and changes and virtue and moir create elements from the music and not the other way around like davis and white.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Hi everyone. Out of a fear of making a fool of myself I'm usually just a lurker as I don't consider myself to have a strong technical knowledge of ice dance but I thought I'd give it a try this time:)

I wish I got V/M, I really do, but I just don't see the overpowering special quality about them that has some people acting as if god himself came down and placed them on the ice. I don't think they're bad skaters, quite the opposite, I think they're very talented, I just don't get them I guess. I've also never felt the heat between them that some people seem too. I often find their sexy expressions sort of laughable.

The judging today was a head scratcher for me. I don't know how P/B scored so high, their lifts came off very clunky to me and the program as a whole just seems very,I'm not sure how to explain it, it just didn't seem as powerful as W/P or D/W and V/M. I think if this had been anywhere else that W/P would have overtaken them.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I watched videos of D/W and V/M in reverse order of competition and the impressions are clearer and reinforced. While they both are dazzling with they edges, skills, speed, and intricacy throughout, what are obvious to me, no technical expert of Ice Dance, right off are 1) D/W seem frantic to begin their program, 2) their twizlzes and holds are farther apart, while V/M are joined at the hips, and 3) while D/W dance together, V/M dance with each other every single second. I don't feel the connection of D/W but connection is the central theme of V/M through all the fancy steps and lifts.

I remember last year I supported D/W win based on the competition as a sport even though it was V/M's artistry and passion that impressed me. I look forward to each of their Free Dances to see how they are going to move me this time.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Hi everyone. Out of a fear of making a fool of myself I'm usually just a lurker as I don't consider myself to have a strong technical knowledge of ice dance but I thought I'd give it a try this time:)

I wish I got V/M, I really do, but I just don't see the overpowering special quality about them that has some people acting as if god himself came down and placed them on the ice. I don't think they're bad skaters, quite the opposite, I think they're very talented, I just don't get them I guess. I've also never felt the heat between them that some people seem too. I often find their sexy expressions sort of laughable.

The judging today was a head scratcher for me. I don't know how P/B scored so high, their lifts came off very clunky to me and the program as a whole just seems very,I'm not sure how to explain it, it just didn't seem as powerful as W/P or D/W and V/M. I think if this had been anywhere else that W/P would have overtaken them.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much :)

Welcome!! :D

I totally agree with your assesment of P/B vs. W/P, though I have to admit that I'm a V/M worshiper lol.