Ice Dance - short dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - short dance

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Calm down Art&Sport we all can have different opinions. No one is picking on you:) We appreciate different opinions and you are allowed them. I think D and W are awesome but I do appreciate that V and M seem to be alot more versatile. In the end it is up to the judges.

Macassar88

Medalist
I'm feeling a bit let-down... the political explanations (judges, home team) make sense but are depressing. And I would understand if V/M beat D/W on PCS because the formers' skate today was so alive... but tech? OTOH, why did Meryl and Charlie take out that cool fishdive ending they had at 4CC? I hope the judging is fair tomorrow. Otherwise, Meryl should make sure to break her nose next year.

BTW, where is Doris?

About tech between the two I agree that dw should have won on twizzles and the lift but Tessa and Scott had better rhumba sequences and footwork.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi everyone. Out of a fear of making a fool of myself I'm usually just a lurker as I don't consider myself to have a strong technical knowledge of ice dance but I thought I'd give it a try this time:)

I wish I got V/M, I really do, but I just don't see the overpowering special quality about them that has some people acting as if god himself came down and placed them on the ice. I don't think they're bad skaters, quite the opposite, I think they're very talented, I just don't get them I guess. I've also never felt the heat between them that some people seem too. I often find their sexy expressions sort of laughable.

The judging today was a head scratcher for me. I don't know how P/B scored so high, their lifts came off very clunky to me and the program as a whole just seems very,I'm not sure how to explain it, it just didn't seem as powerful as W/P or D/W and V/M. I think if this had been anywhere else that W/P would have overtaken them.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much :)

Welcome! And don't worry, your opinion is welcome here. You did a great job explaining why you feel the way you do, which is all I ask of any poster, whether they have the same or different opinion as I.

I share your viewpoint to some aspect. I respect V/M a lot -- i think they have great lines, great connection, great skill and are at the top of their game. But I personally do not think they are miles ahead of D/W. I think that D/W has made a lot of progress in the last few years and judging by the judging, I think most acknowledge that as well.

jcoates

Medalist
Welcome Whitneyskates. Your thoughts seem well composed to me. A very valid observation. Keep posting please. The more the merrier.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Hi everyone. Out of a fear of making a fool of myself I'm usually just a lurker as I don't consider myself to have a strong technical knowledge of ice dance but I thought I'd give it a try this time:)

I wish I got V/M, I really do, but I just don't see the overpowering special quality about them that has some people acting as if god himself came down and placed them on the ice. I don't think they're bad skaters, quite the opposite, I think they're very talented, I just don't get them I guess. I've also never felt the heat between them that some people seem too. I often find their sexy expressions sort of laughable.

The judging today was a head scratcher for me. I don't know how P/B scored so high, their lifts came off very clunky to me and the program as a whole just seems very,I'm not sure how to explain it, it just didn't seem as powerful as W/P or D/W and V/M. I think if this had been anywhere else that W/P would have overtaken them.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much :)

Welcome! No better time than the present to come out of "Lurkerdom" and post, especially during Worlds when this Board is hopping.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir: They were on. It wasn't a great program, but it was a great skate.

Davis/White: Better program, lesser skate.

Pechalat/Bourzat: Solid program, solid skate. I think they were gifted on levels just a tad, but I'll give the panel the benefit of the doubt and be fine with their Winkler/Lhose bronze. She's the best ice actress currently competing.

Weaver/Poje: So hot it made my computer pregnant. I wish it was closer to third, but I'll be fine if the top three stay the same. Technically, they've improved so much this year that it's rather astonishing. And their PCS should be shooting into the high eights soon.

Ilynikh/Katsalpov: Elena loves V/M and that makes me happy. Blade to ice, they're quite talented and they've never skated with this clarity of edge (maybe Euros 2011). I can see the PCS gap being what it is between them and C/L based solely on that (not on W/P, but that's due to everything else in PCS). This is a TERRIBLE program, but they skated solidly.

Cappellini/Lanotte: On the one hand, this is the best SD of the season. On the other hand, they're not quite as good as the teams ahead of them skating wise. I'd probably still have them ahead of I/K based on PCS - their interpretation and choreography is considerably superior in this program.

macy

Record Breaker
i too am very surprised at how low the scores are...i did expect VM to be ahead of DW. DW didn't have that spark today even though they were great. looks like both teams have some competition now coming up on them. the FD will be interesting.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I don`t think the french have a chance to beat virtue and moir, davis and white they might like i said before their fd contains alot of recycled elements the french do have the better and more difficult lifts over davis and white.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Pechalat/Bourzat: Solid program, solid skate. I think they were gifted on levels just a tad, but I'll give the panel the benefit of the doubt and be fine with their Winkler/Lhose bronze. She's the best ice actress currently competing.

Winkler/Lohse bronze? Are you saying that's the only world medal they'll get, or talking about how they've kind of waited a long time for it?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think P/B could probably repeat as bronze medalists another year, but W/P might overtake them, it's hard to say (I hope not as a P/B uber lol).

oleada

Record Breaker
My thoughts...

Okay, I'm done watching it the top 6 teams or so. I thought the judging was quite fair, actually.

Virtue/Moir - Her dress is awful! What happen to the slinky purple dress that she had at the beginning of the season that was so cute? I don't like this program, and I don't think Latin is necessarily their strength (I agree neither of them has the Latin sensuality down). But unlike D/W they move to the music much better and so much smoother. Definitely deserved to ahead of D/W. But since when is the middle part of their music Latin? It most definitely is not.

Davis/White - I don't and will probably never get them. I can see that they are great athletes and that this is a sport. But it's also dance, and part of that is expressing the theme appropriately, and I don't think they do so. Their program just appears to be more of an aerobic routine than a proper dance. Her, in particular, doesn't get the Latin down ( they're not the only ones but with them outscoring nearly everyone it gets more attention) and you couldn't tell she's doing Latin without the music. A lot of her arm movements are similar to those in their Indian OD.

Pechalat/Bourzat: I am not a fan of ballroom style Latin; as a Latin person, it's not at all what I think of as Latin. So this Brazilian carnival dance is much, much up more alley. It's just much more natural and organic to me. They are soooo smooth. I'm really glad they were able to skate here. I know it's too much to hope, but I'd love them to move up to second or even win.

Weaver/Poje: I thought I'd say that after seeing it so many times this dance has lost its effect on me, but I still like it. They're smokin'. Latin works for them. That said, I don't think this was the best outing of their SD this year, but it was still very good.

Ilinykh/Katsalapov: Why is she wearing a dress inspired by Morticia Addams? Sorry, V/M fans, but the Hip Hip Chin Chin section of this dance is much, much better than theirs. I love the CiSS to open the program. It's so fast and fluid. I don't think the second half of the program is as strong. But they were so, so on and they are just such a pleasure to watch. They seemed really fast and used the music well. Latin isn't their best, either, but they did a solid job with it. I'm soooo glad their PCS are this high and that they are so far the Russian #1. They have the IT factor in spades.

Cappellini/LaNotte: Italian ice dance teams + latin dances = a match made in heaven. I love how much they've improved this year. Really just a lovely program that's a joy to watch. I'm so glad I got to see this one live. They seem to lack the speed and power of other top teams, but in expression and musicality they outperform a lot of the top 3.

Some other thoughts:
- I am so over slowing down songs to fit the program/tempo/whatever. It never looks or sounds good.
- 3 music cuts in one program is more than necessary *cough*Igor*cough*
- I can't help but notice how much better constructed Krylova/Carmelengo's programs are than Shpilband/Zoueva's. They actually use the music - shocking, I know. All their teams had far better Latin expression than S/Z's team, and that can't be a coincidence.

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree that P/B got crowd favorite PCS points. I still find their program lacking in Latin flavor, though I like their interpretative skills on the samba.

Wow, I completely disagree. Of the top three teams, P/B are the only ones that have got the Latin flavor down. V/M and D/W are very very sterile.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I wish I got V/M, I really do, but I just don't see the overpowering special quality about them that has some people acting as if god himself came down and placed them on the ice.

haha Whitney, very funny! welcome to the boards, keep posting...you are an original. I totally agree with you about this, Scot gets on my nerves too. He thinks he God's gift.

Tonight my husband commented that Charlie should be on Dancing with the Stars...he'd knock it out of the park!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
V/M sterile? Man, I'd hate it if you were my nurse, the needle would probably be teeming with bacteria :)D)

I think P/B could probably repeat as bronze medalists another year, but W/P might overtake them, it's hard to say (I hope not as a P/B uber lol).

W/P nearly overtook them THIS year.

oleada

Record Breaker
Oh totally. They fake it miles better than D/W, but they're as Latin as white bread and mayo. Great dancers; Latin is not at all their thing.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Is it just me or does it seem that the Ekatarinas' (Bobrova and Riazanova) dresses would be better suited for a tango?