Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - short dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    You're probably right, and I'm ok with that, just wondering why V/M's margin of GOE on certain elements (lift and twizzles) is so large. I am not saying the placement was wrong, just questioning the margin given the fact that levels were the same and PCS was far closer.
    PCS = Points 4 Canuck Skaters??? once again judges love with GOE continue...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Yeah, I'm sad for the Shibs too. I think they have been SOOO determined to conquer their SD challenges and work it that they sort of made some silly mistakes on the technical side. I'm glad that they can move on to a new dance next season. (They will totally rock it, me thinks).

I do agree that they did it best at Nationals..
    I agree too! I think I've been the most impressed with their willingness to re-work their programs and really dig deep and work on presenting a more mature and authentic Latin feeling dance. From my perspective they now have one of my favorite Latin SD's this season. They may not have performed it perfectly from a technical perspective here at this competition but they've grown and stretched themselves as performers.

Their time will come. I find them an endearing and also exhilarating and exciting team to watch.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    PCS = Points 4 Canuck Skaters??? once again judges love with GOE continue...
    You realize PCS and GOE are different right?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    ... D/W were not fully on their game today.
    It's a very fine line. And in this case, it comes down to subjectivity for you to think that D/W were not on their game. D/W laid it down, and V/M went out and did them one better. D/W were great and V/M were impeccable -- ironically the competition between these two teams is what makes each of them fight that much harder. They are both at the top of their games. The other top teams IMO are quite good, but not overall as great as D/W and V/M.

For their technical mistakes in the rhumba section, the Shibs were hit hard. It looked to me like Maia and Alex in this case were not able to make their nerves work for them. They were just slightly off, but that's all it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Bronze belongs to W/P in my truly unbiased opinion (because I only became a real W/P fan five minutes ago) and I really hope P/B don't take it with a sympathy/home vote. Just the thought makes me . I don't see how that bandage program can compare to Je Suis Malade!
    P/B fairly or unfairly have the advantage of home field. I think W/P are better in many aspects than P/B. W/P have certainly proved their worth all season long. I'd love to see W/P win bronze, but the French might riot if P/B don't at least come in third. Did you see the look on Gwendal Peizarat's face at the scores of the other French team who did not perform well?

Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    No comparison. V/M are in a league of their own. I would have given them a 4 point cushion. Free Dance will be closer though.
    Why? Because you know just how good D/W are, so you think V/M need a cushion to sit on? D/W free dance is a masterpiece! The free dance of V/M while good, has had to be tweaked to improve it, which they did at 4CC. So yes, again it should be a battle in the fd, because both top teams want this championship. If D/W skate their fd to the highest level, they should win, but alas fs is a political sport, and the fact that no U.S. officials are represented on either the judging panel or on the technical panel (while Canada is represented on both), IMO will definitely make it that slight bit more difficult for Meryl and Charlie to come out on top. Also, -1:33 behind although not insurmountable is a sizeable lead in ice dance should both teams skate well in the final discipline. I too thought D/W deserved to be scored higher in the sd, although I agree with V/M being ahead, but not by that much. Sure, the skaters have nothing to do with picking the judging panel, but I'm pretty sure Scott and Tessa (as well as all the teams) know the makeup of the judging panel.

FS is not only subjective, it is political. When rivals are as close in abilities as V/M and D/W, at any event it can go either way. We shall see what happens. To me, it is quite clear that V/M's fd is not overall as strong as D/W's, despite the improvements Scott and Tessa displayed at 4CC. Meryl and Charlie will need to relax, enjoy and be in the zone. Their program is so good. I hope if D/W skate their beautiful program to their best and don't win, that they will know in their hearts that they still won by achieving their best performance. I hope they will take possibly not winning gold in stride and come back even stronger next season to take their title back from V/M in Canada, no less. Yes, I know, not gonna happen on V/M's home turf. But Meryl and Charlie will never give up. They most certainly deserved to win 1st place in the sd at the 2010 Olympics. But they didn't let the judges get them down -- they kept pushing to improve. I like how Meryl and Charlie carry themselves when they don't come out on top. Contrast that with Scott's sulky attitude when he and Tessa didn't come out on top at GPF in Canada!

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I won't argue the placements of the top 3 . As has been mentioned the margin between V/M and D/W is really quite small , but I do think P/B were marked too close to D/W ..I really felt they were closer to W/P..I/K were incredibly gifted and consequently C/L were royally robbed .

I guess I have some political theories.....but I have to go for groceries , so I'll just leave it at that...for now

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    In this case, there is definitely a halo effect from skating on home ice while injured, whether deliberate or not. I'm not arguing the levels so much, since the judges tended to like the Kry/Car camp of rhumbas better than the Canton rhumbas. That was a definite trend. It's all so close it's hard to judge on the rhumba itself. On the quality of execution of the elements, W/P had more attack, they oozed latin flavour out of every pore of their bodies through every element, they were fast, they had great unison, and their lines and edges were fantastic. There was a time when I'd agree with you that W/P skating skills (especially W) were not good enough for the top. Not today in the SD. They were fully on their game. I'm going to watch this again, but I think W/P were maybe even better than D/W today. It was that good. P/B were slower, more careful, did not have a good latin interpretation, and generally did not have the full body movement that W/P had. W/P skated lights out. So when W/P are behind I/K in PCS (ridiculous), and P/B are almost the same score as D/W who were only 1.3ish points away from V/M, yes, my eyebrows are raised. Not many skaters had a personal best today. The judging was much harder than in Quebec, but they still came out with a personal best, even though their skate was not as good as Quebec. It was out of line with how the rest of the competition was judged, which I thought was mostly fair, if a little harsh.
    Then I think I might have misinterpreted you a bit. Don't get me wrong, W/P certainly have the SS to be at the top, but P/B are still better. There are areas were I think W/P are better, and there are areas where I think P/B were better. I just don't see any suspicious judging, that's all.

Congrats to V/M, D/W and P/B they all skated like the champions that they are. Bravo!
    Shout out to C/L and W/P fabulous skating from them too! I am a happy camper.

I/K & C/L are soo close that the judges didn't know the outcome themselves. I can guarantee you!

Custom Title
    For those that like ice dance, just wanted to post that Princess Caroline of Hanover (& Monaco) and her daughter Princess Alexandra of Hanover (herself a skater) attended the Ice Dance portion today with fellow Monaco skater, Kim Lucine.

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010050...32963762147511

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0500010050...32963814149413

Custom Title
    Hello everyone,

Considering that overall the pairs short today was sub-par to say the least - I have to give credit to all the ice dance teams that just brought it. Period. This event is far from over but if today is any indication of what is in store for the FDs - shall be a barn burner...

Custom Title
    Trankov was right. The ice is soft. I never saw so much snow sprayed at a Worlds in my life! And I have attended many Worlds. Poje sprayed snow on every corner, which is why the GOEs and SS were lower. He wasn't the only guy with this issue, but it just shows his basic edges are not as good as Moir or White.

Banned
    Virtue and moir will not be beaten tomorrow funny face has become an artistic and technical marvel the hurdle to clear was the SD they have had little difficulty getting almost all level 4`s for their fd across the board all year D&W fd just does not cut it amymore it has not improved since skate america i even think pechalat and bourzat might challenge them for silver.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I'm feeling a bit let-down... the political explanations (judges, home team) make sense but are depressing. And I would understand if V/M beat D/W on PCS because the formers' skate today was so alive... but tech? OTOH, why did Meryl and Charlie take out that cool fishdive ending they had at 4CC? I hope the judging is fair tomorrow. Otherwise, Meryl should make sure to break her nose next year.

BTW, where is Doris?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I just finished watching the last three groups on our tv, but I can comment to the things I understand from icedance:
    Capelini/Lanote get my vote for best dress and best program and then Natalie and Fabian, for their courage. Kudos to french team for being there to cheer!
    I liked Tessa's dress most from early in the season, the blue one. This one was not very rumba like. Too bad that Carron/Jones didnt qualify, I liked them a lot at Euros. I dont understand why R/T are so low, I always like them more than I/K, and I read Bobrova had birthday today, thats a bad birthday gift!

Custom Title
    I am not so sure D and W deserve to win the gold if they skate their best and V and M skate their best. They both have amazing performances and it is kind of some like Chinese food and others like Italian both are good which one do you like unless someone makes an error. I do think V and M deserved today's win and the spread should have been more as I mentioned earlier but I also thought P and B were too close far too close to D and W and that W and P should have been closer. Originally I th uoght I and K were overmarked but when you look at their performance i agree it should be higher than the Italians but in the end they are basically tied. I still believe that V and M and D and W if they skate their best should tie technically but on PCS V and M deserve the win.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast