Kate Winslet on Titanic 3-D: It's like a home movie | Golden Skate

Kate Winslet on Titanic 3-D: It's like a home movie

heyang

Record Breaker
Wow - I can't believe it's been 15 years since it was released. I remember trying to see it a couple of times for weeks and every show was sold out. I think I saw it about 6 weeks after release and only because my cousin and his fiancee went early to buy tickets and save seats.... So, I just had to get there before the movie started and she came out with my ticket while my cousin saved the seats.

You're way ahead of me. I didn't see it until it came out on video. (Two cassettes, as I recall.) Even on my tiny TV, it was breathtaking. The music overwhelmed me, the costumes absorbed me (and for months afterward, I looked up websites where seamstresses exhibited their versions of the outfits for people and dolls), and the story enthralled me. The charm of it has not faded. It was a brilliant mixture of large-scale history and a small-scale human story. It's one of those milestone movies that has something for almost everyone.

One of the most interesting aspects of it was Cameron's savvy in casting his leads. In a lot of sweeping romantic films, the leads turn out to be temporarily pretty eye candy who never again achieve such career excellence. (Example: Leonard Whiting from Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet.) Cameron managed to choose two fine actors who became among the best in their generation and are still going strong, Leo DeCaprio and Kate Winslet. That says something about his smarts.