Russian press on Cohen/Tarasova split | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian press on Cohen/Tarasova split

windspirit

On the Ice
Re: Very interesting....

Doggygirl said:
Of course this is all speculation, but my gut isn't buying the "had to skate ill due to the contract" defense. My suspicion is that Sasha and /or her Mom didn't want to pull out of a comp with Michelle. If that is the case (which it might not be) then it was a bad decision. I wouldn't want to face my most formidable competitor if I were sick / tired from travel / under trained etc. where the risk of a bad skate is so high.
I wouldn't, either. Plush, Sasha had already faced Michelle once this season, and at a cheesefest like that one, so if she decided not to go that time, it wouldn't have exactly looked as if she was avoding anyone. Their real face off is going to be at Nats, anyway. PLUS, whatever she does, there'll be always people who say she did or didn't do it "because of Michelle." So I wouldn't worry about that.

Whatever the real reason for the split, it's interesting, because every option seems equally plausible. I was really hoping their cooperation would last long and be fruitful, but "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men..." Oh well.

What about Tarasova being on very unfriendly terms Galina Zmievskaya and Victor Petrenko? More details, please? Is there some substance to it, or is it just Verner trying to be interesting? (after I've seen what he can come up with, I take his revelations with a big grain of salt).

Originally posted by Jaana
That must have been caused because Petrenko had to leave Simsbury rink (where he had trained for years) because of Tarasova´s students?
And he left his his coach (Zmievskaya), his choreographer (his wife), and his brother there? They all were allowed to stay, and only Viktor was shown walking papers? Hard to believe. Plus, I think I saw him there with my own eyes a few weeks ago.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Windspirit, I read on Adrian´s forum a thread some time ago (this fall, I think?), that Petrenko had to leave the Simsbury rink because there was not room for him any more because of Tarasova´s students.

Marjaana

Edited to add: I managed to find the URL:

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10332

There seems to have been a bit different takes on what really happened and why... Apparently the Viktory for Kids show had something to do with the matter very much. I though remember reading somewhere that ice time had something to do with Petrenko´s move to Newington also.

Last edited:

toutestgrace

Rinkside
No matter where she is in all this, I definitely feel bad for Sasha. At 19, when your family has paid for your entire skating life, including relocating across the country, you can't just tell your mom to mind her own business, no matter how headstrong you are.

What's really curious to me however, is her(her mom's?) choice of Robin, a coach who practically was a surrogate mom to Sarah and seemed to have loads of free rein with her and her skating decisions. :confused:

LBC

On the Ice
toutestgrace said:
No matter where she is in all this, I definitely feel bad for Sasha. At 19, when your family has paid for your entire skating life, including relocating across the country, you can't just tell your mom to mind her own business, no matter how headstrong you are.

What's really curious to me however, is her(her mom's?) choice of Robin, a coach who practically was a surrogate mom to Sarah and seemed to have loads of free rein with her and her skating decisions. :confused:

I agree with you about Sasha. However it happened it is sad. It was apparent that Sasha really cared about Tatiana and visa versa. I think Sasha just said recently that TT was like family. I don't know all the dynamics of the Cohen household but Sasha has pretty much let her mom take care of all the details of her career and she's just concentrated on the skating. The Cohen's unlike the Hughes did hire outside management so they aren't managing every aspect of her career. Like you said her family has made huge sacrifices for her and she and her mom seem to be very close. Given a choice she'll go with mom over Tatiana. Of course we're not sure if all this stuff about Galina is all true. I'm sure some of it is but some may not. The Russian press maybe trying to spin things to make Tatiana look good.

As far as Robin is concerned according to some reports TT recommended her. I do think that Robin's closeness in proximity to Connecticut had a lot to do with it plus the fact that she was avaliable. Robin may not have been the only coach they called. In the middle of the season getting a coach could be hard. It seems that TT wasn't on good terms with some of the other Russian coaches in the area and maybe Sasha didn't want another Russian coach. Her parents may have made the inital calls to find out who was avaliable and things but I have no doubts that Sasha talked to Robin herself before making any kind of decision. Robin said she got called on Sunday, confirmed on Monday, and started on Tuesday. So there was a day there where decisions were being made. According to some skaters at Simsbury, Sasha was at practice with TT on Monday and they seemed on the outside to be just fine. I really think that this was being talked about the week earlier and on the weekend the Cohen's were making calls to see who they could get. On Monday they had this long meeting and I would guess just to make sure that they couldn't work things out at the last minute. They didn't and they called Robin and she came on Tuesday.

Up to this point there had never been any talk about Galina Cohen being an evil skating mom. Nicks never said anything about it he had more problems with Sasha than her parents. What you have to remember is because of the language differences Galina ended up being the middle man interpreter. She probably ended up being way more involved with Tatiana and Sasha's relationship than she had ever been with other coaches. Yes Sasha could understand Russian pretty good and TT English but I'm sure there were times that Galina had to come in to translate to make sure they totally understood each other. TT herself said she talked to Galina about important things and then she'd relay to Sasha so that they totally understood each other. It is probably why she was in on most everything that was going on between them. TT wasn't used to that. Galina also came from the old soviet sports system as a gymnast where they took kids away from their parents and the parents basically had no say in what went on. She may have hated that and having spent the majority of her life in the US her ideas on training had changed.

Robin is an American coach who is used to dealing with skaters parents unlike TT. Without a language difference Galina may back off more now and if things do work out with Sasha and Robin it is most likely that Sasha will move to NY/NJ and her family will stay in Conn.

A question - Is the family still transportable? or is Connecticut where they willl be based until 2006-7?

Just maybe: a trip to Cleveland and Carol Heiss who certainly knows her jumps - or California with Arturian which would be a hoot.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
USFSA may well have put a lot of pressure on both Sasha and Goebel to skate. After all, aren't most of the ABC TV contracts in some fluid state of negotiation? I'm not sure, but I seem to remember others have said so. ABC will insist that USFSA deliver cheesefest skaters.

Vicky458

On the Ice
Perfect Jumps

What I don't understand about the article is chosing Robin because of Sarah's "perfect jumps". Her jumps are not only cheated but she has the worst FLUTZ of any female skater I have ever seen. PERFECT JUMPS?????

LBC

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
USFSA may well have put a lot of pressure on both Sasha and Goebel to skate. After all, aren't most of the ABC TV contracts in some fluid state of negotiation? I'm not sure, but I seem to remember others have said so. ABC will insist that USFSA deliver cheesefest skaters.

ABC was really promoting the Michelle vs Sasha rematch so it is possible that they put pressure on them to skate. In a lot ways the cheesefests have a better lineup of skaters than the GP's do and may actually be better ratings makers. Unfortunately the whole thing was a splatfest as was the one before and may turn off viewers more than bring them in. The USFSA really needs to look at rescheduling these things or turning them back into true pro-ams again. Having one at the beginning of the season when nobody is ready you get a splatfest, then one in the middle after they've just come off GP's get another splatfest, and then one after Worlds when they are in the middle of touring isn't going to get you the best performances either. I'd rather see them do the cheesy team stuff with exhibition numbers than see them falling all over the place.

As far as the Cohen's being transportable. It is my understanding that they are renting the house they are in now as well as renting out their house in California. At least that was the way it was last year from some article I read. Her dad is also still comuting to California for work. He never quit his job and found a new one. I always felt they were going to go back to California eventually with Sasha getting older. Her sister Natasha just got in to the Miss Porter's school in Harford. One of those privite all girls prep schools. It is also a boarding school as well as a day school so it is possible for Natasha to stay there if she really wanted to. I don't see them going anywhere right now as they've got to think of Natasha as well. That poor girl has moved crossed country and is in her 2nd school. I don't think Sasha will even want to do that to her again. She's old enough to be on her own and can move where she wants. Her family can make up their own minds on whether to stay in Conn. or move back to California.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Just maybe: a trip to Cleveland and Carol Heiss who certainly knows her jumps - or California with Arturian which would be a hoot.

Joe

LOL, Joe you forgot Arturian has been 'claimed' by Michelle just a few weeks ago.

But, indeed Sasha had consolt to Artrurian for jump technique.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Re: Perfect Jumps

Vicky458 said:
What I don't understand about the article is chosing Robin because of Sarah's "perfect jumps". Her jumps are not only cheated but she has the worst FLUTZ of any female skater I have ever seen. PERFECT JUMPS?????

Instead of perfect, maybe the word should be consistent jumps?

Marjaana

Re: Perfect Jumps

Vicky458 said:

Well, cheated jumps is most questionable. What is not questionable is 2002 Olympic Gold Medalist!!! Who cheated the jumps there? Who wobbled their jumps? Who fell on their jumps?

I'm not a fan of Sarah but she deserved her win - so many other skaters with IMPERFECT JUMPS!!!

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Sarah's jumps

It's been awhile since I watched the tape, but I seem to remember Sarah's jumps being (nearly) fully rotated at SLC.

In 2003 however, her cheated jumps were the worst I had ever seen it.

Snowqueen

Spectator
toutestgrace said:

You said it so well! :)

Sasha can't make her own decisions. She is morally in a very difficult position. She must live with the permanent feeling she owes her mother something, has to respect Galina's decisions and even if Sasha wanted to live all by her own (which is a natural and important thing in her age) she can't do it. She looks very guided and dependent to me. And this won't make her more secure on the ice. It's a shame.

I wonder if Kwan became so strong and consistent because she was the bread winner? For sure this must be very challenging being so young but this also gives you a lot of importance and responsiblity. While Sasha's skating is more a luxury for her parents. The result is that Sasha is more of a child than a young woman, at least to me, while Kwan probably lost this in the age of 16 ore something.

toutestgrace said:

My guess: Galina thinks it's simply time for her daughter to win some real important medal. Look how young Baiul, Lipinski, Kwan, Hughes were when they won their first gold. Camp Cohen can't wait another year and wants to attack this season. And Galina went for a coach who is
1. close
2. free
3. coached a girl who was some years younger and not as talented as Sasha to olympic gold.

No more psychology behind I suspect.

Perhaps this pays off, I hope so for Sasha. It would be really a desaster for her psychical condition if she - again - finishes off the podium at Worlds! :sheesh: Could destroy all her self-esteem.

I want her to win at least a silver medal at worlds. :love:

LBC

On the Ice
Snowqueen said:
You said it so well! :)

Sasha can't make her own decisions. She is morally in a very difficult position. She must live with the permanent feeling she owes her mother something, has to respect Galina's decisions and even if Sasha wanted to live all by her own (which is a natural and important thing in her age) she can't do it. She looks very guided and dependent to me. And this won't make her more secure on the ice. It's a shame.

I wonder if Kwan became so strong and consistent because she was the bread winner? For sure this must be very challenging being so young but this also gives you a lot of importance and responsiblity. While Sasha's skating is more a luxury for her parents. The result is that Sasha is more of a child than a young woman, at least to me, while Kwan probably lost this in the age of 16 ore something.

My guess: Galina thinks it's simply time for her daughter to win some real important medal. Look how young Baiul, Lipinski, Kwan, Hughes were when they won their first gold. Camp Cohen can't wait another year and wants to attack this season. And Galina went for a coach who is
1. close
2. free
3. coached a girl who was some years younger and not as talented as Sasha to olympic gold.

No more psychology behind I suspect.

Perhaps this pays off, I hope so for Sasha. It would be really a desaster for her psychical condition if she - again - finishes off the podium at Worlds! :sheesh: Could destroy all her self-esteem.

I want her to win at least a silver medal at worlds. :love:

I agree that Sasha is in the postition of feeling that she "owes" her parents. Her family has totally relocatied and changed their lives for her. Not that asked them to do this they volunteered. Sasha is probably paying all of her skating expenses herself by now with touring and competitions but they did pay for everything before that. It isn't just money their emotional support has probably meant the world to her as well. Coaches come and go but your family stays with you.

I actually think that this split with TT maybe good for Sasha. If there was conflict going on between mom and TT then it had to effect her and now it is gone and she can think about skating. I really think that all this did affect her performances at GPF. Some said that Sasha looked like she just wanted to be left alone.

Robin is going to commute in the short run with Nationals so close but after that it is questionable. Robin has a family and isn't as transportable. If things work out I am hoping that Sasha goes down to NY/NJ herself and leaves the family back in Conn. I really think the girl needs to get out on her own. Her family is still close enough that she can still see them but she can get some independence of her own. She's not stupid. She can figure out her own schedule and do things on her own. She can always call mom if she needs her plus she has management.

I do think that there is the "time is ticking" scenerio with Sasha.
It has been 4 yrs. since her big debut at Nationals and she hasn't won a world medal yet. True she lost a year there with an injury but there is this "she's got to do it this year or she never will" thing. Even Dick and Peggy are starting to lose faith and they are her biggest supporters. I'm hoping Robin can help Sasha mentally as well as technique wise. With the way things were going with TT and Galina it was probably best for them to split now. She may have showed up at Nationals in worse shape than GPF.

Fossi

Final Flight
Re: Re: Perfect Jumps

Joesitz said:
Well, cheated jumps is most questionable. What is not questionable is 2002 Olympic Gold Medalist!!! Who cheated the jumps there? Who wobbled their jumps? Who fell on their jumps?

I'm not a fan of Sarah but she deserved her win - so many other skaters with IMPERFECT JUMPS!!!

Joe

Well said!

I think Sasha is paying a huge tribute to Sarah right now by following in her footsteps. Will this make Sasha a better skater? I don't know. Sasha is Sasha. Sarah was truly unique.

CassidyL

Rinkside
LBC said:
If things work out I am hoping that Sasha goes down to NY/NJ herself and leaves the family back in Conn. I really think the girl needs to get out on her own. Her family is still close enough that she can still see them but she can get some independence of her own. She's not stupid. She can figure out her own schedule and do things on her own. She can always call mom if she needs her plus she has management.

No, she's not stupid. Nor is she the emotional basketcase y'all seem to be making her out to be. FWIW, the rink gossip I've heard is she's quite the indepentent, headstrong, mature girl who knows what she wants and goes for it, on and off the ice. I don't even think her mother goes with her to international competitions.

Snowqueen said:

Huh? even if she wanted to live all on her own she can't do it?

Why not? She skates. She's not handicapped. Physically or emotionally. We all "owe" our mothers (and fathers I might add) everything. Whether we are rich or poor, play sports or not, and most of us respect our parents decisions.

I'm sorry, I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but I think things are getting a little over the top here. Sorry.

lavender

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
LOL, Joe you forgot Arturian has been 'claimed' by Michelle just a few weeks ago.

But, indeed Sasha had consolt to Artrurian for jump technique.

I think Artrurian has helped Michelle and Sasha in the pass but it was ok since he wasn't an official coach to either one but I don't think sasha will be contacting him now that he's Michelle's official coach. That would be a problem for me if I were Michelle.

Snowqueen

Spectator
CassidyL said:
I'm sorry, I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but I think things are getting a little over the top here. Sorry. [/B]

You don't have to apologize for having an opinion, Cassidy. And so don't we. :)

No matter how grown you think you are, your Mom's still your Mom. (Mine's 90, and she's still my Mom.)

MM