Ladies - Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I want the name of the judge who gave Alena a 9.00 for skating skills. The hell? I don't see a single one for Kostner.

it seems aparent that th russians REALLY wanted some medals here....in all discipplines if possible. with the poor shoiwng in pairs, their usualy strong suit thrtr must have been a lot of converastions flying around Aleca. both Kanako and Kostne deserved to beat her.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Alissa is going to need a lot more than just 3 triples to have any prayer of accomplishing that. She'll need at least 5 clean triples. Now any PCS momentum and reputation she might have had with the judging panel is out the window. She really has to hit technically because now that she will be skating so early in the LP rotation, her PCS are going to be much lower. I don't think for a second that Zhang, Helgesson, Marchei, and Lacoste aren't capable of outjumping and outplacing her. Czisny has to fight with all her might! She has to fight tooth and nail for her place now!

You're right. I wasn't thinking about the lower PCS that she'll get from skating in the second group. However, the judges do seem to love her; so a relatively clean skate could redeem her in the judges eyes. Is it possible that with the pressure off, Alissa will deliver? She didn't at the challenge cup, but with her anything is possible.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So it just occurred to me that Elene G. did the hardest combo and had the highest scoring jump element. Who would have thought?! Good for her. Hoping she pulls it out in the free skate!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Well, I'm shocked and disappointed with this competition so far. I think the judges have made a couple of scoring mistakes here...

Alena: I'm happy for her for skating so well. She nailed her jumps and delivered her program with a lot of energy...but I disagree with her scores quite a bit. IMO, she should be behind Kanako. Her program lacked choreography and composition entirely...it was mainly hip wiggles and cheesy smiling...I don't know what program the judges were watching. Alena's not a particularly strong LP skater and with the added pressure of being in the lead, I'm doubtful she's going to hold up. Good skate for her but I think she was very over-scored in her PCS. Her score should have been closer to 61 or 62...64 is obscenely excessive.

Kanako: I'm very proud of her! She had the best SP in the competition IMO. Lots of speed, difficulty in the jumps, wonderful choreography, great footwork, good spins and lots of energy and passion. IMO, her score was on point; 62 seemed about right. The problem is that Alena was over-scored which, by comparison, means Kanako was underscored. Given the strength of Kanako's program over Alena's, Kanako should have been first. I hope she has a strong LP b/c it'd be awesome to see her score a top 5 finish here.

Carolina: I expected her to be over-scored here but I'm shocked that her scores were pretty fair. Her 3t-3t was glorious but she blanked out on the 3lp. She's still in a great position to win this thing though. I'm still betting on a 2nd or 1st place finish for her here.

Mao: Again, the gamble for the 3a is too costly. She'd be a lot closer to 1st place if she hadn't gone for that jump. Luckily though, the rest of the program was great. She really performed the program and gave it energy and life. Even with the fall I thought she was lovely. If you add those roughly 4pts she would have earned from a clean 2a she'd be in better position. Still if she delivers her LP well she'll be a threat for gold.

Akiko: I think she may have gotten a bit anxious/excited after nailing the 3-3 and didn't focus enough for the lutz. *facepalm* I so wanted her to rock this SP full-out, but she still did a good job. I think her PCS should have been slightly higher though. My fingers are crossed for her to pull out a good LP too. She's such a joy to watch...

Ksenia: Another strong performance. I really like the choreography of her SP and she delivered the program well. Ksenia has had it pretty tough this year but kudos to her for turning in a good program. I'm not a fan of her LP but, for her sake, I hope she skates it well. With Liza T, Adelina and the others coming up, this could be her last trip to worlds...

Elene: Brian is having a good effect on her. She seemed very confident and performed with a lot of energy. Shame about the 2a; I think she got excited and forgot to focus. Elene has the ability to be a contender: she's fast, her jumps are big and her spins are solid...plus when she skates like that she has a sparkle about her. I'm glad to see her finally getting herself together. Kudos to Brian for turning her around...

Ashley: She must have psyched herself out for that opening combo. She rushed it and over-jumped it and that cost her a lot. I thought she performed the rest of the program very well though. Given her transitions, choreography, spins and her overall level of performance, I think she was underscored; I think around 58 would have been fair. The good news for Ashley is she is a strong LP skater and can make up a lot of ground. She's not out of contention; a 4CC-like performance could land her on the podium or close to it. I'm still hopeful for her chances here...

Alissa: Goodness, that was devastating to watch. I didn't think she was going to be great here or even good, but I didn't think she would literally fall apart at the seams like that. That was painful to watch. She's been getting worse and worse all season long...all of that confidence from last season is gone and I think a lot of it has to do with expectation. The pressure of competing coupled with the pressure of people expecting her to skate well seems to have crushed her completely this season. I hope she redeems herself with a solid LP but (obviously) a top 5 finish is out of the question...right now all we can do is pray that somehow she can crack the top 10.

A lot of disappointing skating and scoring all around. I'm pretty confident that there will be a complete rearrangement of the standings by the time everything is said and done. I still expect the top 4 to be some combination of Carolina, Akiko, Mao and Ashley, with Kanako and Alena battling for 5th...

Mirunna

Record Breaker
it seems aparent that th russians REALLY wanted some medals here....in all discipplines if possible. with the poor shoiwng in pairs, their usualy strong suit thrtr must have been a lot of converastions flying around Aleca. both Kanako and Kostne deserved to beat her.

Actually Alena skated very very well today. Her SB was close to 65 so it's not like this is the first time she gets this score. Her jumps were the best, she was in character the whole time, Performance and Interpretation should be even higher. Spins were ok, steps were very good. On what base did Kostner deserve to beat her?

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko was underscored on the PCS i agree, she attacked that program with so much passion- sad for the doubled jump. This is Europe hehehee. Caro has the reputation as the favourite to win this and has had a phenomenal season!

Sjs5572

Final Flight
So it just occurred to me that Elene G. did the hardest combo and had the highest scoring jump element. Who would have thought?! Good for her. Hoping she pulls it out in the free skate!

Elena G is the most improved skater of the season IMHO. Orser has done wonders on her TES and PCS. Her 3 Lz3T was indeed a thing of beauty!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh GROAN!!! I haven't been able to watch a thing but it sounds liked the American girls tanked.

Wagner wasn't THAT bad (she just missed the 3-3, but tacked on a 3-2 later). It was Czisny who laid the egg, and looks like it really doesn't matter how Wagner does- it's 2 spots again next year. UGH!!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The judging panel for the Ladies SP: ROU, ESP, GBR, HUN, GER, SUI, BEL, JPN, TUR

No Russian/former SSR judges, but 8 European judges and 1 Japanese judge. It doesn't seem as if it's the Russians pushing for Alena, but this heavily Euro panel will be loading the PCS for Kostner and Leonova.

Technical panel:

Tech Controller Alexander LAKERNIK RUS
Tech Spec Shin AMANO JPN
Asst Tech Spec Claudia UNGER GER

Referee Philippe MERIGUET FRA

tulosai

Record Breaker
I honestly don't know why people are being so hard on Alena. Yes a 9 on PCS is a bit excessive but am I the only one who thinks she skated fantastically and doesn't know what the rest of you were watching? It's not her fault that none of the other top contenders managed to land all of their jumps/get all level 4's. I'm happy for her; well deserved. If Caro et al had actually delivered I think we could be having a very different conversation, but they didn't. There is no conspiracy that I can see.

chloepoco

Medalist
if Kanako wins, that would be just wrong...as you often say here.. figure skating is not only TES. She was sharp, rough... that was not women's skating. Alena sold THIS program, she'll be different in the LP. Akiko's music allowed her to be sharp, but she was rather elegant on the ice, Kanako's music was different, I can't understand why she behaved like an animal. (forgive me my poor English to describe it softer)

Don't quite understand what you mean by this?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think Kostner deserved a higher PCS relative to the field than she received.

No judging will please everybody but I don't see blatant favoritism and unfair judging here.

hurrah

Medalist
I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I thought the scoring was pretty fair, compared to previous competitions at least. I hope this is a trend that will continue!

Mao would probably be in first place if she'd only done a double-axel! She's so unstrategic but that's the quality that makes me love her.

Alissa's performance was memorable but for all the wrong reasons. In times like these, I think she should be reminded that it's only figure skating after all, and no one's happiness or well-being is going to be determined by how she skates, and that includes her's.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Somehow this doesn't sound too nice lol. General comments. Yes, USA can still get 3 ladies. Surprised by the Russians both make the final group when it was possible none of them would. Agree Makarova could implode in fs as could Alyssa I think Makarova though was undermarked in the short program. Polina K made some silly errors and poor decisions. Mao, Alyssa, Ashley, Carolina and Akiko were a bit flat. The romantic in me thinks it would be nice that Leonova gets a medal before being possibly pushed out by the baby ballerinas from Russia. Carolina and Mao still look good enough for gold. Murakami - interesting not shocked because others made errors -was it the ice but so many doubles for triples - could hold on for a medal or could implode. I still find her a bit juniorish. The problem is this everyone wants to move up but someone has to move down. So people are probably looking for big moves from Carolina, Mao, Alyssa, Ashley and Polina. People are hoping for miracles from Amelie. And Skaters like Elene, Murkami, Ksenia and Alena really want to hold on to their gains. Someone has to win and someone has to... Yes the pcs were low = well the scores in general but at least they were consistent. Dance was not that low so each event with different judges will have different scores. IN dance pcs in the 8s were for like teams as low as in 6th and 7th I believe.

Yes, my nationalistic calculations did come off a bit snarky....sorry. I'm going to London, Ontario next year, and my desire to see three American woman got the best of me!

bsfan

On the Ice
I honestly don't know why people are being so hard on Alena. Yes a 9 on PCS is a bit excessive but am I the only one who thinks she skated fantastically and doesn't know what the rest of you were watching? It's not her fault that none of the other top contenders managed to land all of their jumps/get all level 4's. I'm happy for her; well deserved. If Caro et al had actually delivered I think we could be having a very different conversation, but they didn't. There is no conspiracy that I can see.

Same here.

treeloving

Medalist

I don't think it Russia;otherwise Kesnia will get the same treatment as well. It one judge who really really really like her and give her something like 9.

Other judges' score is not that much different from other skater.

bsfan

On the Ice
The judging panel for the Ladies SP: ROU, ESP, GBR, HUN, GER, SUI, BEL, JPN, TUR

No Russian/former SSR judges, but 8 European judges and 1 Japanese judge. It doesn't seem as if it's the Russians pushing for Alena, but this heavily Euro panel will be loading the PCS for Kostner and Leonova.

Technical panel:

Tech Controller Alexander LAKERNIK RUS
Tech Spec Shin AMANO JPN
Asst Tech Spec Claudia UNGER GER

Referee Philippe MERIGUET FRA

Two from JPN

Layfan

Record Breaker
You're right. I wasn't thinking about the lower PCS that she'll get from skating in the second group. However, the judges do seem to love her; so a relatively clean skate could redeem her in the judges eyes. Is it possible that with the pressure off, Alissa will deliver? She didn't at the challenge cup, but with her anything is possible.

The pressure isn't really off, though. She'll be thinking about that third spot and placing at least in the top 10 or whatever she needs to do for the third spot. It's a lot to tune out, especially during a long program. I really wish her the best.

word.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the US can't even keep it's two slots for Worlds next year then Alissa needs to retire right now. Not that Ashley has anything to brag about either.