Ladies - Short Program | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Art&Sport

Medalist
Interesting to note that not a single lady scored above a 7.89 in any of the combined PCS components. There are definitely very tough judging panels at this Worlds, which is so odd!

Not so odd. Remember Lakernik's memo -- maybe the judges' overall were given a talking to.

McIce

Rinkside
There is an absolutely crazy judge in the panel. He/She gave 8.5 or 9 to Leonova in all five PCS components. They are so outlier to all the other judges' marks.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
There is an absolutely crazy judge in the panel. He/She gave 8.5 or 9 to Leonova in all five PCS components. They are so outlier to all the other judges' marks.

Maybe He or She is Leonova in-law..... LOL I suspet Leonova slipping something into his her tea....

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US can still get three spots. The big question is Alyssa. If she can deliver a three triple free (I know that's a big IF), Alyssa can move in front of the ninth through fifteenth place skaters.

Alissa is going to need a lot more than just 3 triples to have any prayer of accomplishing that. She'll need at least 5 clean triples. Now any PCS momentum and reputation she might have had with the judging panel is out the window. She really has to hit technically because now that she will be skating so early in the LP rotation, her PCS are going to be much lower. I don't think for a second that Zhang, Helgesson, Marchei, and Lacoste aren't capable of outjumping and outplacing her. Czisny has to fight with all her might! She has to fight tooth and nail for her place now!

Last edited:

skfan

Final Flight
If Alissa is to retire, then I hope some fire and confidence comes to her so that she can maybe pull up to at least 8th place, and that Ashley can skate to her best and at least land in 4th or 5th. That's best case scenario. Not even thinking so much to get a third spot for U.S. ladies, but just for Ash and Alissa to maintain their self-respect and end this season on a happy note after all their hard work.

that sounds nice but non-american skaters work hard too. why do the americans deserve to place well even more than they do?

hey, i want 3 spots, too-- that way even if one american lady implodes she cannot all by herself take the other out of relevance for 3 spots. and all my favorite american ladies are in the rear view mirror of the illustrious duo we sent to worlds. LOL

quite an observation periperi made about alena's score there. lovin' this anonymous judging.

Nadine

Record Breaker
ps: and don't get your hopes up for the american men, they definitely are not going to be overscoring nor breaking records. at the end of the competition they'll be lucky if either one makes top 10, same as the women.

save your money, stay home and watch nationals.

now i'm just hoping they arrive home safely, and work hard toward next season. :) there's still 2013 worlds, which in the grand scheme of things is more important than this one. i'm personally going to write this one off, lol. :)^D

Toodles!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The US can still get three spots. Ashley can move up to fifth with a decent LP, with Kostner, Leonova, Suzuki and Mao ahead of her. She can easily make up six points on Murakami. The big question is Alyssa. If she can deliver a three triple free (I know that's a big IF), Alyssa can move in front of the ninth through fifteenth place skaters, plus Makarova who can easily implode in the LP. It's a long shot, but I'm not giving up hope yet.

Somehow this doesn't sound too nice lol. General comments. Yes, USA can still get 3 ladies. Surprised by the Russians both make the final group when it was possible none of them would. Agree Makarova could implode in fs as could Alyssa I think Makarova though was undermarked in the short program. Polina K made some silly errors and poor decisions. Mao, Alyssa, Ashley, Carolina and Akiko were a bit flat. The romantic in me thinks it would be nice that Leonova gets a medal before being possibly pushed out by the baby ballerinas from Russia. Carolina and Mao still look good enough for gold. Murakami - interesting not shocked because others made errors -was it the ice but so many doubles for triples - could hold on for a medal or could implode. I still find her a bit juniorish. The problem is this everyone wants to move up but someone has to move down. So people are probably looking for big moves from Carolina, Mao, Alyssa, Ashley and Polina. People are hoping for miracles from Amelie. And Skaters like Elene, Murkami, Ksenia and Alena really want to hold on to their gains. Someone has to win and someone has to... Yes the pcs were low = well the scores in general but at least they were consistent. Dance was not that low so each event with different judges will have different scores. IN dance pcs in the 8s were for like teams as low as in 6th and 7th I believe.

macy

Record Breaker
i think ashley was underscored. besides the step out that program was beautiful, i personally would have given it about a 58.
kanako was overscored IMO...she doesn't have the components of the other top skaters and to me her jumps are ugly even though she landed them. i think it's the takeoffs. i would have had her between like 4-8th place.
carolina should have placed ahead of kanako even with the mistake. her skating itself is way superior, her jumps are so floaty and pretty and she's FAST.
alena totally deserves to be in first. she NAILED it. i love how she sells everything and how she gets into character so well.
i think mao is in a good placement. besides the fall she did wonderful. her artistry is so lovely.
oh alissa...i am so sorry for her. i almost hope she retires as much as i hate saying it. i don't know what happened to her this season. she was fighting back tears in the kiss and cry...

well it's not over til the fat lady sings...or in this case until the LP is done. i wouldn't be so quick to give up on people, including the americans. i know ashley will fight in the long and i hope alissa's placement takes pressure off her. you never know what can happen, as with today. some funky placements already.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
ps: and don't get your hopes up for the american men, they definitely are not going to be overscoring nor breaking records. at the end of the competition they'll be lucky if either one makes top 10, same as the women.

save your money, stay home and watch nationals.

now i'm just hoping they arrive home safely, and work hard toward next season. :) there's still 2013 worlds, which in the grand scheme of things is more important than this one. i'm personally going to write this one off, lol. :)^D

Toodles!

I still believe. The US men could do it. Don't count them out. It ain't over till its over - and it hasn't even started.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the LP, I think Alissa should play it safe and water down some of her attempted content. Maybe do something like:

3Lutz
2Axel+2toe
3flip
x3loop
x3toe+2toe+2loop
x3toe
x2Axel+2toe

I think Team Czisny needs to own up to the fact that they did her a disservice in making the decision of upping the technical ante in her programs and giving her more difficulty than she can handle with the 3Lutz+3toe training in the SP and the LP and attempting two 3Lutzes and two 3loops in the LP. Upping the ante only resulted in her getting injured and now the result is that her confidence has been completely shattered as well as her reputation with the judges.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, rub it in. The U.S. have a long and rich tradition of Ladies champions!!! Maribel Vinson Owen, Laurence Owen, Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Rosalynn Sumners, Elaine Zayak, Linda Fratianne, Tiffany Chin, Jill Trenary, Debi Thomas, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, Nicole Bobek, Tara Lipinski, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan. Show us another country that has a similar long and rich tradition, please (and I'm not talking recent history, b/c Japan is right up there in recent history). There is and will not be another Michelle Kwan in ladies' figure skating (someone who dominates for nearly ten years with CONSISTENCY, grace, courage and class both on and off the ice). The U.S. has been spoiled, but it is not as if there is another very dominant lady from other countries. Not even Yu Na had the consistency and length of career that Michelle had.

Overall, the ladies field in general is boring. That's why the Men have been closing the show in recent years.

ITA about the rich history of US women's skaters not to mention non champions like Holly Cook, Karyn Cadavy et al I am not sure what courage Michelle Kwan has show - I mean I guess they all show courage to skate in front of a glaring public but it is not like she was the orphan waif who accidentally had a skate blade jabbed into her before an olympic free skate or skated after a day or so when her mother just died. I am sure she has skated with split ends except for the year she cut off her hair but courage...I think all skaters who compete show courage.

christinaskater

Medalist
Kanako was scintillating. Amazing, she should be 1st.
Alena hit all her jumps and her pantomime artistry is just not my cup of tea. I love her passion though for skating and competing.

AKIKO!!!!!!! Nearly had that perfect program, I guess jitters of not competing for the longest time. Hope she has a lights out performance for the long.

CAROLINA!!!! Same as Akiko! Judges love her and she deserves it.

MAO!!! Oh my with the triple axel attempt :( She did good to recover.

KEXIN was stunning! Brilliant

Ksenia was at her best for the longest time. Good on you!

Alissa, so sad for her. She shouldn't have competed here having this injury :(

Ashley-the pressure was really on her shoulders. She did well to recover as well. I guess 2 spots for the US next year.

Elene was beautiful except for the single axel.

Amazing triple triples from the girls!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She's skating a folk program. I find her costume and hairstyle appropriate and her SP is one of my very favourites this season. If everyone skated a pretty-princess-in-a-bun program, it would be boring. I love classical/balletic programs, but there needs to be some variety...

Well said; I agree though I tend to like that princess look you are right. We need a Slutskaya type to spice things up.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh GROAN!!! I haven't been able to watch a thing but it sounds liked the American girls tanked. I admire Alena in some ways but I just don't know about a world in which Alena is a world champion. Sigh.

Go Carolina tomorrow is all I can say.