Ladies - Short Program | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Alena, Kanako and Caro, I enjoyed all three performances!

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, I'm about as pro-American as you could get, but I think the scoring for Wagner was more or less fair. 56, maybe high 57 at best. Not only did she miss the combo, she didn't have the attack/control that was present at Nationals and 4CCs. That performance didn't announce to the world, "I'm here, I came to win and you BETTER take me seriously." She did that at 4CCs.

Ugh, this is so frustrating though. I can't be too mad at Wagner- at least she tried after she made the mistake- but Czisny, just....fhdjkasdlfdkjaklsk!!!!!!!

tulosai

Record Breaker
You know, I'm about as pro-American as you could get, but I think the scoring for Wagner was more or less fair. 56, maybe high 57 at best. Not only did she miss the combo, she didn't have the attack/control that was present at Nationals and 4CCs. That performance didn't announce to the world, "I'm here, I came to win and you BETTER take me seriously." She did that at 4CCs.

Ugh, this is so frustrating though. I can't be too mad at Wagner- at least she tried after she made the mistake- but Czisny, just....fhdjkasdlfdkjaklsk!!!!!!!

Yeah. I think the jumps just failed Wagner today for one reason or another but she kept fighting and got her combo in- she didn't just give up and lay down to die. I do think she can/will move up at least 2 spots in the long; potentially more.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh I totally agree. I only made the point to illustrate how difficult it would be for the US to lose a spot. You really have to work hard to lose the second spot, and Alissa didn't work hard enough to lose it. :p

Yes, Alissa's biggest saving grace today was that she rotated the 3Lutz before falling on it. It also helps her tremendously that she does not flutz the entry to it.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I agree that Alene will probably hold on to medal, and that Caro has been held up quite often. However, Caro has always had the politics on her side plus some well-choreographed programs this year, never mind a lot of "It" girl factor from her looks, and her speed, and the length of time she's been on the scene (Buzz this year from fans, politics, etc.) I think it truly helped Caro when she came to the U.S. to train briefly under Frank Carroll. Caro also seems to have confidence going for her (witness her humorous reaction at messing up slightly in the sp), but I agree that it is somewhat scandalous that Caro has been able to get away (and others too) with not actually doing all the basic jumps.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah. I think the jumps just failed Wagner today for one reason or another but she kept fighting and got her combo in- she didn't just give up and lay down to die. I do think she can/will move up at least 2 spots in the long; potentially more.

It's the short program demons all over again; just replace "Nationals SP" with "Worlds SP" this year, that's all.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Somewhere in Japan, Miki is kicking herself for sitting out this season...

I'm very sad for Alissa. She is just not a competitor; she can skate great in practice and warm-up but is just too inconsistent. I'm not optimistic for her in the LP either, given that she really had no pressure at the last competition and still bombed. She still has a lot of pressure because there is a chance she could go clean and secure 3 spots for the US. If she was in 23rd then I'd say, yeah, no pressure.

I'm also anxious to hear from the ladies about the ice quality. I know if was a problem for many pairs and maybe we saw a lot of pops and doubles because skaters couldn't get good footing. If so, I'm really worried for the men, who have to do 3A's and quads.

skfan

Final Flight

if she was injured she should have withdrawn.

look on the bright side. her being in 16th allows ashley wagner to focus on her own skating and not on the pressure to win back the 3rd spot. if czisny finishes 14 or lower, doesn't matter wagner does.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Is Hersh going to write something about Alissa should have withdrawn and given up her spot?
Her silver at Nat was a gift, so she DIDN'T earn it.

Phil tweeted that he was going to continue blaming the USFS for messing with Alissa's head by not sending her to 4CCs, and "that's my story and I'm going to stick to it". Typical Phil Hersh.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't understand how people are still talking 3 spots for US. Give it up, it's over. Czisny is SIXTEENTH for crying out loud...If she lays a miracle she can perhaps pull up to 10th but what are the odds? Numerous mistakes in EVERY FS she's skated this season, and dare I say, if we've got Challenge Cup Czisny on our hands, she could even drop further in the standings!

As for Wagner, I'm slightly more optimistic that she can make up ground, since she tends to be a freeskater. At her best, I see her pulling up to 4th or 5th...and if crazy things happen, I wouldn't even rule out 3rd. But top 2 is definitely out of the question.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Phil tweeted that he was going to continue blaming the USFS for messing with Alissa's head by not sending her to 4CCs, and "that's my story and I'm going to stick to it". Typical Phil Hersh.

!!!! Unbelievable.

skfan

Final Flight

what's phil's excuse for all the other failed competitions in her career? perhaps a puppy peed on her shoes on the way to the airport during her first year in seniors and she could never recover?

becuz the only response to a dissing is to tank. it can't ever be rise to the pressure and make them eat their words?

ETA i don't think it was a diss. i think they were right to spread the wealth. but assuming it was a 'diss,' did she have no choice but to prove them right?

Last edited:

Kelly

On the Ice

A bad performance is a bad performance. Blaming other people is not a good sportsmanship.

R.D.

Record Breaker
[Czisny's] silver at Nat was a gift, so she DIDN'T earn it.

So tell me, who should have gone instead? Zawadzki? (and don't tell me she'd have done any better than 10th in the short anyway...)

It's the American ladies in general. We just CANNOT put it together when it counts! It doesn't matter WHO we send. The past 5 years should have told us that already...