Ladies - Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
blue idealist should maybe hope, pray and beg Canada gets 2 skaters for next year lol. I think the US is in still good shape to get three ladies. Oddly enough a lot depends on Russia and Japan or Russia and the US could destroy each other depending on placements. It looks more and more like Kostner versus Suzuki versus Czisny though i have a feeling one of them will make a mistake in the short. Makarova must have ur's because i thought that deserved second, imho, behind Leonova. I don't think Russia will have two ladies in the final flight unless a Japanese lady and Czisny really skate poorly.

I have a feeling the two spots for Canada isn't going to happen, although I think there's still hope Amelie could get 10th after the LP.

I have no idea about the US, they could end up 4th and 9th, or 7th and 8th, who knows!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just back for the last group. Looks like Mao and Ashley bombed something :( but Alena did well :)

Yay for the last six now on the ice!!!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I don't understand the judges scores for Alena Leonova...

She had a good skate with a lot of energy and I wouldn't take that away from her...but how is it she scores so high? Give her the points for the jumps but I don't get where the rest of the PCS come from. That program isn't good at all. All three jumps are done in the first 30 seconds and the remainder is nothing but elements with no in-betweens; she literally goes from jumps to spins to footwork without any kind of choreography. I really love her energy but the fact that her program beat out Mao, Ashley and Ksenia in the CH score really makes me worry about the direction this sport is going. Those three how nicely balanced well-choreographed programs whereas Alena's program was cheesy and campy with much winking and booty-shaking, yet somehow that counts as CH.

Other quick thoughts so far:

Mao: She shot herself in the foot again going for that 3A; she wasn't even close. If she'd played it safe and skated cleanly she'd probably be in the lead right now.

Ksenia: Good for her for fighting back after the season she's had. She performed very well and I really like her SP.

Elene: I don't know if she got credit for it but the fact that she attempted that 3lz-3t really proves that she's feeling confident...perhaps a little too much b/c she made a silly mistake and singled her 2a. I think she got excited after landing the 3-3 and got too far ahead of herself. Still, it's good to see her come out so strong and confident.

Ashley: She had a long wait (last in that group) and it kinda hurt her. She over-jumped the 3f and stepped out of it but recovered with her 3l-2t and other jumps. I think she was very under-scored in the PCS...

*sigh* Lots of skating left...final group is warming up.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Alissa is such a lovely skater, gorgeous dusky pink dress, superb posture, and on & on, but such a headcase. *sigh*

Still, imho this number "La Vie en Rose" is her signature number and the one I will fondly remember her by. :)

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Ugh, Alissa's SP dress still bugs me. The skirt is too sheer and it draws too much attention to her behind, which is nice but not what I want to look at when I see her skate. :p

skatinginbc

Medalist
I don't understand the judges scores for Alena Leonova...She had a good skate with a lot of energy and I wouldn't take that away from her...but how is it she scores so high? Give her the points for the jumps but I don't get where the rest of the PCS come from. That program isn't good at all. All three jumps are done in the first 30 seconds and the remainder is nothing but elements with no in-betweens; she literally goes from jumps to spins to footwork without any kind of choreography. I really love her energy but the fact that her program beat out Mao, Ashley and Ksenia in the CH score really makes me worry about the direction this sport is going. Those three how nicely balanced well-choreographed programs whereas Alena's program was cheesy and campy with much winking and booty-shaking, yet somehow that counts as CH.
Finally somebody said what I have been thinking. Her skate looked unrefined--rough and sloppy in some places. She was clearly acting, not a sincere performance. And yet high PCS...overscored in my opinion.

Tesla

Final Flight
I thought I didn't have a horse in the race but I'm really nervous for Alissa. I don't know if I can watch her skate.

ITA re Alena.

Marchei did a great job - I wish she had gone to Yuka/Jason earlier. She has everything but it's a little late to be emerging from the chrysalis. She reminds me of Cynthia Phaneuf but lighter, more flexible, better, and without the scary eyebrows.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Ugh, Alissa's SP dress still bugs me. The skirt is too sheer and it draws too much attention to her behind, which is nice but not what I want to look at when I see her skate. :p

I love the simple elegance of it. It's very simple in the front and elaborate in the back...I think she looks lovely in it and it really compliments the program.

However, I HATE that white LP dress she's been wearing lately. I hope she's switched back to the blue one she wore at the beginning of the season. The white one looks like a bad "sexy" night gown...