Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Short Program

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    There's is a thread on that.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-posted-on-FSU

I've been thinking of Karma.
    Thanks! I do think the judges have been reeducated to some extent on PCS going by this competition...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Yeah, rub it in. The U.S. have a long and rich tradition of Ladies champions!!! Maribel Vinson Owen, Laurence Owen, Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Rosalynn Sumners, Elaine Zayak, Linda Fratianne, Tiffany Chin, Jill Trenary, Debi Thomas, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, Nicole Bobek, Tara Lipinski, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan. Show us another country that has a similar long and rich tradition, please (and I'm not talking recent history, b/c Japan is right up there in recent history). There is and will not be another Michelle Kwan in ladies' figure skating (someone who dominates for nearly ten years with CONSISTENCY, grace, courage and class both on and off the ice). The U.S. has been spoiled, but it is not as if there is another very dominant lady from other countries. Not even Yu Na had the consistency and length of career that Michelle had.

Overall, the ladies field in general is boring. That's why the Men have been closing the show in recent years.
    ITA about the rich history of US women's skaters not to mention non champions like Holly Cook, Karyn Cadavy et al I am not sure what courage Michelle Kwan has show - I mean I guess they all show courage to skate in front of a glaring public but it is not like she was the orphan waif who accidentally had a skate blade jabbed into her before an olympic free skate or skated after a day or so when her mother just died. I am sure she has skated with split ends except for the year she cut off her hair but courage...I think all skaters who compete show courage.

Kanako was scintillating. Amazing, she should be 1st.
    Alena hit all her jumps and her pantomime artistry is just not my cup of tea. I love her passion though for skating and competing.

AKIKO!!!!!!! Nearly had that perfect program, I guess jitters of not competing for the longest time. Hope she has a lights out performance for the long.

CAROLINA!!!! Same as Akiko! Judges love her and she deserves it.

MAO!!! Oh my with the triple axel attempt :( She did good to recover.

KEXIN was stunning! Brilliant

Ksenia was at her best for the longest time. Good on you!

Alissa, so sad for her. She shouldn't have competed here having this injury :(

Ashley-the pressure was really on her shoulders. She did well to recover as well. I guess 2 spots for the US next year.

Elene was beautiful except for the single axel.

Amazing triple triples from the girls!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    She's skating a folk program. I find her costume and hairstyle appropriate and her SP is one of my very favourites this season. If everyone skated a pretty-princess-in-a-bun program, it would be boring. I love classical/balletic programs, but there needs to be some variety...
    Well said; I agree though I tend to like that princess look you are right. We need a Slutskaya type to spice things up.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Oh GROAN!!! I haven't been able to watch a thing but it sounds liked the American girls tanked. I admire Alena in some ways but I just don't know about a world in which Alena is a world champion. Sigh.

Go Carolina tomorrow is all I can say.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by periperi View Post
    I want the name of the judge who gave Alena a 9.00 for skating skills. The hell? I don't see a single one for Kostner.
    it seems aparent that th russians REALLY wanted some medals here....in all discipplines if possible. with the poor shoiwng in pairs, their usualy strong suit thrtr must have been a lot of converastions flying around Aleca. both Kanako and Kostne deserved to beat her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Alissa is going to need a lot more than just 3 triples to have any prayer of accomplishing that. She'll need at least 5 clean triples. Now any PCS momentum and reputation she might have had with the judging panel is out the window. She really has to hit technically because now that she will be skating so early in the LP rotation, her PCS are going to be much lower. I don't think for a second that Zhang, Helgesson, Marchei, and Lacoste aren't capable of outjumping and outplacing her. Czisny has to fight with all her might! She has to fight tooth and nail for her place now!
    You're right. I wasn't thinking about the lower PCS that she'll get from skating in the second group. However, the judges do seem to love her; so a relatively clean skate could redeem her in the judges eyes. Is it possible that with the pressure off, Alissa will deliver? She didn't at the challenge cup, but with her anything is possible.

So it just occurred to me that Elene G. did the hardest combo and had the highest scoring jump element. Who would have thought?! Good for her. Hoping she pulls it out in the free skate!

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Well, I'm shocked and disappointed with this competition so far. I think the judges have made a couple of scoring mistakes here...

Alena: I'm happy for her for skating so well. She nailed her jumps and delivered her program with a lot of energy...but I disagree with her scores quite a bit. IMO, she should be behind Kanako. Her program lacked choreography and composition entirely...it was mainly hip wiggles and cheesy smiling...I don't know what program the judges were watching. Alena's not a particularly strong LP skater and with the added pressure of being in the lead, I'm doubtful she's going to hold up. Good skate for her but I think she was very over-scored in her PCS. Her score should have been closer to 61 or 62...64 is obscenely excessive.

Kanako: I'm very proud of her! She had the best SP in the competition IMO. Lots of speed, difficulty in the jumps, wonderful choreography, great footwork, good spins and lots of energy and passion. IMO, her score was on point; 62 seemed about right. The problem is that Alena was over-scored which, by comparison, means Kanako was underscored. Given the strength of Kanako's program over Alena's, Kanako should have been first. I hope she has a strong LP b/c it'd be awesome to see her score a top 5 finish here.

Carolina: I expected her to be over-scored here but I'm shocked that her scores were pretty fair. Her 3t-3t was glorious but she blanked out on the 3lp. She's still in a great position to win this thing though. I'm still betting on a 2nd or 1st place finish for her here.

Mao: Again, the gamble for the 3a is too costly. She'd be a lot closer to 1st place if she hadn't gone for that jump. Luckily though, the rest of the program was great. She really performed the program and gave it energy and life. Even with the fall I thought she was lovely. If you add those roughly 4pts she would have earned from a clean 2a she'd be in better position. Still if she delivers her LP well she'll be a threat for gold.

Akiko: I think she may have gotten a bit anxious/excited after nailing the 3-3 and didn't focus enough for the lutz. *facepalm* I so wanted her to rock this SP full-out, but she still did a good job. I think her PCS should have been slightly higher though. My fingers are crossed for her to pull out a good LP too. She's such a joy to watch...

Ksenia: Another strong performance. I really like the choreography of her SP and she delivered the program well. Ksenia has had it pretty tough this year but kudos to her for turning in a good program. I'm not a fan of her LP but, for her sake, I hope she skates it well. With Liza T, Adelina and the others coming up, this could be her last trip to worlds...

Elene: Brian is having a good effect on her. She seemed very confident and performed with a lot of energy. Shame about the 2a; I think she got excited and forgot to focus. Elene has the ability to be a contender: she's fast, her jumps are big and her spins are solid...plus when she skates like that she has a sparkle about her. I'm glad to see her finally getting herself together. Kudos to Brian for turning her around...

Ashley: She must have psyched herself out for that opening combo. She rushed it and over-jumped it and that cost her a lot. I thought she performed the rest of the program very well though. Given her transitions, choreography, spins and her overall level of performance, I think she was underscored; I think around 58 would have been fair. The good news for Ashley is she is a strong LP skater and can make up a lot of ground. She's not out of contention; a 4CC-like performance could land her on the podium or close to it. I'm still hopeful for her chances here...

Alissa: Goodness, that was devastating to watch. I didn't think she was going to be great here or even good, but I didn't think she would literally fall apart at the seams like that. That was painful to watch. She's been getting worse and worse all season long...all of that confidence from last season is gone and I think a lot of it has to do with expectation. The pressure of competing coupled with the pressure of people expecting her to skate well seems to have crushed her completely this season. I hope she redeems herself with a solid LP but (obviously) a top 5 finish is out of the question...right now all we can do is pray that somehow she can crack the top 10.

A lot of disappointing skating and scoring all around. I'm pretty confident that there will be a complete rearrangement of the standings by the time everything is said and done. I still expect the top 4 to be some combination of Carolina, Akiko, Mao and Ashley, with Kanako and Alena battling for 5th...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    it seems aparent that th russians REALLY wanted some medals here....in all discipplines if possible. with the poor shoiwng in pairs, their usualy strong suit thrtr must have been a lot of converastions flying around Aleca. both Kanako and Kostne deserved to beat her.
    Actually Alena skated very very well today. Her SB was close to 65 so it's not like this is the first time she gets this score. Her jumps were the best, she was in character the whole time, Performance and Interpretation should be even higher. Spins were ok, steps were very good. On what base did Kostner deserve to beat her?

Akiko was underscored on the PCS i agree, she attacked that program with so much passion- sad for the doubled jump. This is Europe hehehee. Caro has the reputation as the favourite to win this and has had a phenomenal season!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    So it just occurred to me that Elene G. did the hardest combo and had the highest scoring jump element. Who would have thought?! Good for her. Hoping she pulls it out in the free skate!
    Elena G is the most improved skater of the season IMHO. Orser has done wonders on her TES and PCS. Her 3 Lz3T was indeed a thing of beauty!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Oh GROAN!!! I haven't been able to watch a thing but it sounds liked the American girls tanked.
    Wagner wasn't THAT bad (she just missed the 3-3, but tacked on a 3-2 later). It was Czisny who laid the egg, and looks like it really doesn't matter how Wagner does- it's 2 spots again next year. UGH!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    The judging panel for the Ladies SP: ROU, ESP, GBR, HUN, GER, SUI, BEL, JPN, TUR

No Russian/former SSR judges, but 8 European judges and 1 Japanese judge. It doesn't seem as if it's the Russians pushing for Alena, but this heavily Euro panel will be loading the PCS for Kostner and Leonova.

Technical panel:

Tech Controller Alexander LAKERNIK RUS
    Tech Spec Shin AMANO JPN
    Asst Tech Spec Claudia UNGER GER

Referee Philippe MERIGUET FRA

I honestly don't know why people are being so hard on Alena. Yes a 9 on PCS is a bit excessive but am I the only one who thinks she skated fantastically and doesn't know what the rest of you were watching? It's not her fault that none of the other top contenders managed to land all of their jumps/get all level 4's. I'm happy for her; well deserved. If Caro et al had actually delivered I think we could be having a very different conversation, but they didn't. There is no conspiracy that I can see.

Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast