Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Short Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gioccia View Post
    if Kanako wins, that would be just wrong...as you often say here.. figure skating is not only TES. She was sharp, rough... that was not women's skating. Alena sold THIS program, she'll be different in the LP. Akiko's music allowed her to be sharp, but she was rather elegant on the ice, Kanako's music was different, I can't understand why she behaved like an animal. (forgive me my poor English to describe it softer)
    Don't quite understand what you mean by this?

Custom Title
    I think Kostner deserved a higher PCS relative to the field than she received.

No judging will please everybody but I don't see blatant favoritism and unfair judging here.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I thought the scoring was pretty fair, compared to previous competitions at least. I hope this is a trend that will continue!

Mao would probably be in first place if she'd only done a double-axel! She's so unstrategic but that's the quality that makes me love her.

Alissa's performance was memorable but for all the wrong reasons. In times like these, I think she should be reminded that it's only figure skating after all, and no one's happiness or well-being is going to be determined by how she skates, and that includes her's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Somehow this doesn't sound too nice lol. General comments. Yes, USA can still get 3 ladies. Surprised by the Russians both make the final group when it was possible none of them would. Agree Makarova could implode in fs as could Alyssa I think Makarova though was undermarked in the short program. Polina K made some silly errors and poor decisions. Mao, Alyssa, Ashley, Carolina and Akiko were a bit flat. The romantic in me thinks it would be nice that Leonova gets a medal before being possibly pushed out by the baby ballerinas from Russia. Carolina and Mao still look good enough for gold. Murakami - interesting not shocked because others made errors -was it the ice but so many doubles for triples - could hold on for a medal or could implode. I still find her a bit juniorish. The problem is this everyone wants to move up but someone has to move down. So people are probably looking for big moves from Carolina, Mao, Alyssa, Ashley and Polina. People are hoping for miracles from Amelie. And Skaters like Elene, Murkami, Ksenia and Alena really want to hold on to their gains. Someone has to win and someone has to... Yes the pcs were low = well the scores in general but at least they were consistent. Dance was not that low so each event with different judges will have different scores. IN dance pcs in the 8s were for like teams as low as in 6th and 7th I believe.
    Yes, my nationalistic calculations did come off a bit snarky....sorry. I'm going to London, Ontario next year, and my desire to see three American woman got the best of me!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I honestly don't know why people are being so hard on Alena. Yes a 9 on PCS is a bit excessive but am I the only one who thinks she skated fantastically and doesn't know what the rest of you were watching? It's not her fault that none of the other top contenders managed to land all of their jumps/get all level 4's. I'm happy for her; well deserved. If Caro et al had actually delivered I think we could be having a very different conversation, but they didn't. There is no conspiracy that I can see.
    Same here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    it seems aparent that th russians REALLY wanted some medals here....in all discipplines if possible. with the poor shoiwng in pairs, their usualy strong suit thrtr must have been a lot of converastions flying around Aleca. both Kanako and Kostne deserved to beat her.
    I don't think it Russia;otherwise Kesnia will get the same treatment as well. It one judge who really really really like her and give her something like 9.

Other judges' score is not that much different from other skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    The judging panel for the Ladies SP: ROU, ESP, GBR, HUN, GER, SUI, BEL, JPN, TUR

No Russian/former SSR judges, but 8 European judges and 1 Japanese judge. It doesn't seem as if it's the Russians pushing for Alena, but this heavily Euro panel will be loading the PCS for Kostner and Leonova.

Technical panel:

Tech Controller Alexander LAKERNIK RUS
    Tech Spec Shin AMANO JPN
    Asst Tech Spec Claudia UNGER GER

Referee Philippe MERIGUET FRA
    Two from JPN

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    You're right. I wasn't thinking about the lower PCS that she'll get from skating in the second group. However, the judges do seem to love her; so a relatively clean skate could redeem her in the judges eyes. Is it possible that with the pressure off, Alissa will deliver? She didn't at the challenge cup, but with her anything is possible.
    The pressure isn't really off, though. She'll be thinking about that third spot and placing at least in the top 10 or whatever she needs to do for the third spot. It's a lot to tune out, especially during a long program. I really wish her the best.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    UGH!!!
    word.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bsfan View Post
    Two from JPN

And one of them is Amano

Custom Title
    If the US can't even keep it's two slots for Worlds next year then Alissa needs to retire right now. Not that Ashley has anything to brag about either.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I honestly don't know why people are being so hard on Alena. Yes a 9 on PCS is a bit excessive but am I the only one who thinks she skated fantastically and doesn't know what the rest of you were watching? It's not her fault that none of the other top contenders managed to land all of their jumps/get all level 4's. I'm happy for her; well deserved. If Caro et al had actually delivered I think we could be having a very different conversation, but they didn't. There is no conspiracy that I can see.

I agree that Alena skated very well and I don't think anyone can take that away from her. However, it's her program that I'm criticizing. She spends the majority of the program making faces, wiggling her hips and winking... a LOT of posing instead of actual skating. She knocks out all three jumps in 30 seconds, does a spin, poses, does some footwork, poses, more footwork and more posing, spins and poses... Where the hell was the actual skating?

I think her jumps were good, her energy was infectious and she looked like she was having fun...but those scores were too high for the level of skating she displayed. Her score should have been closer to Kanako's (62); she could have even been in 1st place, but 64 is too high. That's my only issue...64 was too high for what she put out.

Custom Title
    I just checked the scores..........
    Well, it looks like Ashley and Alissa are in an excellent position to preserve the 2nd spot.

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If the US can't even keep it's two slots for Worlds next year then Alissa needs to retire right now. Not that Ashley has anything to brag about either.
    I seriously doubt the US will lose a spot. If they do, it'll be Ashley's fault for bombing her long.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Actually Alena skated very very well today. Her SB was close to 65 so it's not like this is the first time she gets this score. Her jumps were the best, she was in character the whole time, Performance and Interpretation should be even higher. Spins were ok, steps were very good. On what base did Kostner deserve to beat her?
    Because she is from Russia. When russian skaters become threat to non-russian favorites (even V/T), they are overscored and not deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    it'll be Ashley's fault for bombing her long.
    Wwwhhyy?

Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast