Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I don't think the lowballing of Davis/White has anything to do with Virtue/Moir. I think the recent hinted at reeducation of judges regarding PCS may have involved actual examples and admonitions, and possibly one of the teams being singled out for getting overly high PCS is Davis/White. If this is true, it'd be interesting to see how Patrick Chan gets scored tomorrow. I predict his PCS will be quite a bit lower.

For those who don't think there's something amiss, I remind you again that this is Davis/White's second lowest FD score of the season, after what is their best performance of it (only their disastrous 4CC FD scored slightly lower). Something is amiss here.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Tessa & Scott's Fred Astaire & Audrey Hepburn (Funny Face) free dance is simply superb. They deserved their victory and were by far the best on the night.

I can't wait to see Meryl and Charlie's program, which is one of my favorites ever. I don't care if it won a silver instead of a gold; that Fledermaus dance is one for the ages.

At this level of quality, there isn't a way to say who's better overall, D/W or V/M. I'm happy when they're one-two in either order. So this result is cool with me. Isn't it amazing to have two such stunning teams at the same time, and both from North America?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tanith has a great outlook on the outcome. Considering her connection to D/W I think that's a better summary than some of the others we're reading/hearing.

icebeauty

On the Ice
Sorry, I really do love and adore Tessa, but Scott really turned me off with his post-GPF cry me a river rant. Very bad sportsmanship from him at that moment!
oh i agree with you...i LOVE Tessa, but Scott's just such a mixed bag...i appreciate him for speaking his mind - most of the time - but his word choice are just so off-putting
(i commented back on IN at the time about it...Scott just sounds like a whining baby when they don't win...and not humble, and when they win he acts like they should...it's just really hard to like him as a person b/c his media personality isn't appealing. Like i wouldn't mind if he criticized things, but he's so serious about it, that it's comes off as very abrasive and defensive)

ugh...scores just went up...how was that better than D/W? (i think i would have been ok with Tessa and Scott winning overall, but not the FD)
well at least V/M didn't get a SB either...

DancerLily

Rinkside
Shouldn't the components also reflect the fact that V/M free is basically the most forgettable among the final group? :disapp:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Meh. The performance carries them, because it sure as heck isn't the choreography/concept. It's a smeary xerox of a program.

I have a theory about all this, . And it isn't a conspiracy theory. But perhaps it is best to keep it to myself

Perhaps now Scott Moir will stfu. Every time he opens his mouth, my respect for him goes down another notch.

kosjenka

On the Ice
and I am a huge Tessa&Scott fan, still this feels unfair.
They skated well, but it wasnt amazing and there were insecurities. They are human and it is okay. However, Meryl&Charlie were more confident and polished. I would understand the overall win, but not in free dance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals are out. As expected, it came down to levels.

D/W got one more level 3 than V/M. V/M only lost on +GOE by .35 and on PCS by .85. The difference in levels was 1.5 points.

I think D/W should have scored higher, but as always they'll be classy about it and come back strong for next year.

As for spots, it looks like it's the same:
3- USA, Canada, Russia
2 - France, Italy

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh i agree with you...i LOVE Tessa, but Scott's just such a mixed bag...i appreciate him for speaking his mind - most of the time - but his word choice are just so off-putting
(i commented back on IN at the time about it...Scott just sounds like a whining baby when they don't win...and not humble, and when they win he acts like they should...it's just really hard to like him as a person b/c his media personality isn't appealing. Like i wouldn't mind if he criticized things, but he's so serious about it, that it's comes off as very abrasive and defensive)

Yes, in this way he reminds me of Evan Lysacek, who also thought he deserved to win everything and who takes himself too seriously. :frown:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Shouldn't the components also reflect the fact that V/M free is basically the most forgettable among the final group? :disapp:

Not to me. They swept me along. The characters, the feelings, the moves and many little moments are very memorable.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I like both FDs for completely different reasons... and like Belbin said - where D/W came out strong all teh way back in the fall, V/M played catch up so this was the best we'd seen of them all season for the program which makes it more memorable. I love D/W's FD above all others, but to me Skate America seems to still be my favorite performance all season. It was just that good so soon.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Position After 15 of 20

1. Anna CAPPELLINI/Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 160.62 (FD = 95.51 (TES: 45.86, PCS: 49.65))
2. Ekaterina BOBROVA/Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 150.75 (FD = 92.46 (TES: 42.86, PCS: 49.60))
3. Maia SHIBUTANI/Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 144.72 (FD = 82.37 (TES: 35.71, PCS: 46.66))
4. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA/Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 144.43 (FD = 86.24 (TES: 41.93, PCS: 44.31))
5. Madison HUBBELL/Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 143.95 (FD = 84.39 (TES: 43.28, PCS: 41.11))
6. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA/Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 141.36 (FD = 85.07 (TES 42.78, PCS: 42.29))
7. Xintong HUANG/Xun ZHENG (CHN) - 130.27 (FD = 78.92 (TES 41.50, PCS: 37.42))
8. Kharis RALPH/Asher HILL (CAN) - 129.55 (FD = 78.80 (TES 39.44, PCS: 39.36))
9. Penny COOMES/Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) - 129.31 (FD = 74.96 (TES 36.28, PCS: 39.68, DED: 1.00))
10. Siobhan HEEKIN-CANEDY/Dmitri DUN (UKR) - 128.75 (FD = 80.05 (TES 41.78, PCS: 38.27))
11. Lorenza ALESSANDRINI/Simone VATURI (ITA) - 126.89 (FD = 75.71 (TES 36.85, PCS: 38.86))
12. Julia ZLOBINA/Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 126.57 (FD = 78.42 (TES 40.42, PCS: 38.00))
13. Isabella TOBIAS/Deividas STAGNIUNAS (LTU) - 124.07 (FD = 73.85 (TES 36.93, PCS: 36.92))
14. Sara HURTADO/Adria DIAZ (ESP) - 123.12 (FD = 74.44 (TES 38.99, PCS: 35.45))
15. Danielle OBRIEN/Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 112.23 (FD = 64.31 (TES 32.99, PCS: 32.32, DED: 1.00))

Any link to the Shibs FD on youtube?

icebeauty

On the Ice
I don't think the lowballing of Davis/White has anything to do with Virtue/Moir. I think the recent hinted at reeducation of judges regarding PCS may have involved actual examples and admonitions, and possibly one of the teams being singled out for getting overly high PCS is Davis/White. If this is true, it'd be interesting to see how Patrick Chan gets scored tomorrow. I predict his PCS will be quite a bit lower.

For those who don't think there's something amiss, I remind you again that this is Davis/White's second lowest FD score of the season, after what is their best performance of it (only their disastrous 4CC FD scored slightly lower). Something is amiss here.

I think the men competition will be the most telling about judging in IJS...cough Patrick cough
I ok with the final result, just not happy with how far apart the difference is...

I've always felt that V/M try so hard do "something new" for the sake of doing so, but D/W do truly do programs that suit them...both teams are superb and are definitely the best in the world, but V/M can look very forced sometimes like they are not having fun