Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    I missed watching it...anyone willing to post the top 4 FD's?
    Already posted them in post 258 above

Custom Title
    I actually thank all you posters out there for trying to respect the different opinions. This isn't world peace and everyone is entitled to their opinion and should fear some kind of reprisal or worse - violence. So my take of ice dance.

First, I do think V and M deserved to win. This will sound hypocritcal I like the routine way better in the FD of Davis and White but I thought techincally and pc wise yep V and M should have won. It sort of like you prefer a certan designer but another designer can win on judged points. arugably I would have had V and M further ahead in the Shortdance but the end result is what I would have judged but both teams are amazing (next year though V and M who at least are trying different things should maybe do what they do best but bravo for them for stretching the sport and themselves). Both teams in my opinion are miles ahead of the rest. I know there are a lot of P and B fans out there but I think they should take the bronze and run. Their time has come and gone and honestly I would have "dumped them" for Weaver and Poje who arguably could have beaten them in both programs. Likewise, the team that I am starting to like more is I and K. C and L got the result they wanted and B and S will have to work harder I guess. Sad about the Shibutani's - it coud be the bronze curse - sometimes he bronze is the "lucky" to get award and don't push it. They are young and will rebound.

Custom Title
    I might further add the comments that I would rather Canada send if they could Gilles and Poirier because they are a team that seemed more on the upswing and dramatically improving having been formed as a new team rather than Asher and Hill (great law firm name though lol). Boy Russia was lucky to come out with three teams - actually do one spot better than last year. I wonder what P and B will do. CL, IK, WP and Shibutanis all look like good bets to move ahead and who knows maybe BS who might fight to the end with IK for Russia no. 1.

I don't understand some of the posters on this forum. When people say that D/W should have won and that Tessa and Scott's programs are boring, they're just expressing their opinion. When people say that Tessa and Scott deserved to win because they have more interesting programs, they get called out for being rude.
    Honestly, I don't think that any of the top four skated their best today. That said, I'm happy with the results. I wish that Weaver and Poje could share bronze with Pechalat and Bourzat, but I have a feeling that they'll medal at worlds eventually. I feel that Tessa and Scott deserved the gold medal and love them both.

Can someone tell me please the interpreter and the song that Weaver/Poje used?Thanks!

Custom Title
    I hope P&B enjoy their "lifetime achievement award" because next year Worlds are in Canada and P&B won't be getting any home-team PCS in their scores.

Custom Title
    Huh? You mean Je Suis Malade (I am Sick)?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I hope P&B enjoy their "lifetime achievement award" because next year Worlds are in Canada and P&B won't be getting any home-team PCS in their scores.
    Agreed. For whatever reason nationalitic bonusess seem to come out of skating at home.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Which begs the question:

At 4CC, D/W low score mostly came low levels (BV was 38 vs 40 today). Today they get better levels but worse +GOE (12.01 at 4CC vs. 10.93 today).

So my question is, did D/W execution of today's program WAS 1.08 points WORSE than what they did at 4CC when Charlie looked like he was about to collapse?

Just food for thought.
    Thank you for this. I almost forgot about all the breathing challenges at 4CC. When I have a chance I will look at 4CC videos and todays videos to compare.

Yes.Found it!...thanks.

Custom Title
    I think their scores were noticably inflated early in the season and brought back to reasonable levels after the GPF. Their scores were so overblown - even when there were glitches - it called attention to itself and was rectified. Their scores at this competition weren't low; the GP scores were nonsense.

They're excellent, excellent. But still, the early scoring didn't appear to be scoring what was on the ice, but something else.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Since it was so costly, I would appreciate any dance expert here taking the time to do a point by point analysis of D/W's level 3 steps v. V.M's level 4 steps. Also why V/M's awkward neck-choking lifts got more GOE than D/W's lifts. I'm sure Meryl & Charlie would appreciate it too.

Custom Title
    I found V/M's fd memorable, but not for the reasons they're hoping, I'm sure. To me, it reminded me of everything else they've done, with a couple exceptions. They play characters who are in love, and will dance about it, and now they're exchanging loving glances, and so on and..just not my cup of tea.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    I found V/M's fd memorable, but not for the reasons they're hoping, I'm sure. To me, it reminded me of everything else they've done, with a couple exceptions. They play characters who are in love, and will dance about it, and now they're exchanging loving glances, and so on and..just not my cup of tea.
    This is exactly how I feel about D/W. They have been skating to music that carries them, while Charlie whips Meryl around like she's a plaything and she chases him around while making the O face.

I'd actually be interested in seeing what would happen if V/M skated D/W's program and vice versa.

skating philosopher
    Some thoughts I posted on the other thread on The Edge:

The competition today really came down to levels (as I've said all along). The gap there in the FD was 1.5 points, which would be a good chunk of the 2.7 margin V/M had today. Let's remember that levels were subject to the tech committee, not the judges.

As for the actual judging (i.e. the 9 judges), the margin was much smaller. PCS was only .85 down while the margin in +GOE was even less at .35.

So as far as I'm concerned, the judge see them as a fair heat; it's just the tech controller decided to mark D/W with an extra level 3 element.

I think it will continue to be close with those two.
    So as far as execution V/M barely squeaked by D/W. And I don't consider .85 margin in PCS a huge mandate for V/M either. (Especially considering that V/M only won each of the PCS marks by .14, .18, .18, .18 (and they were tied in performance).)

Let's remember that the levels (base value) is determined by the opinion of three people. The judging by the 9 judges is done on +GOE and PCS — they only judge on how well the element was executed not on the levels.

So really, all that talk about having no US judge actually was just that -- talk. When it came to THAT judging, they were pretty even.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast