Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    I would put money on it. People were saying all season that V&M and D&W were in a league of their own, miles ahead of the others, untouchable but just look at the numbers from Nice to see how the playing field just got leveled. I thought the first shake-up was going to come here in Nice but I think P&B just didn't have a good enough FD theme to overtake the other two. If they had last years FD I think the podium might have been a bit different.
    Oh, the fact that it was P/B to close the gap is actually against the idea of a real shake-up. But other thoughts percolate....

From Ice Network:

When asked what were the reasons for the 2.7 points between them and Virtue and Moir in the free dance, Davis and White could not provide any answer.

"We do not know, but we will be willing to find out what the judges are expecting so that we can come back stronger," Davis said. "We're aiming for progress. Concerning our performance here, we're really proud of it."
    Classy as always, Ms. Davis.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    From Ice Network:

Classy as always, Ms. Davis.
    Just world class *thumbs-up* That's the best attitude to possess!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Oh, the fact that it was P/B to close the gap is actually against the idea of a real shake-up. But other thoughts percolate....
    I think it was phase one

Also awesome:
    It actually did, but Alex tumbled on their opening twizzles, and Maia looked completely lost for a short while before catching him again.

"It's been a challenge [to complete the program after that]," Alex said afterward. "But we train so hard for every possible situation that we managed to come back strong after that. It's another learning experience to put under our belts. We'll come back stronger next year."

Banned
    Mrs P translating fred astraire and an iconic oscar winning actress is risky especially for a movie that was not well known, the lifts by virtue and moir are superior and all new their GOE higher than D&W, the skating skills and step sequences better in unison V&M skate closer together the dance holds more seamless, Charlie has to do running steps to catch Meryl who can hit fugly positions sometimes.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Boo yeah, Canada keeps three spots as expected, hopefully the third one goes to Ralph/Hill again next year and not the insufferable Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier.
    Many of us long time fans are concerned that without the Bronze as protection even W/P are vulnerable to the politics which accompany G/P now and C/P in the past. In my opinion,W/P have always been the superior team and P and whatever partner hasn't got what W/P have always had.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Davis/White completely attacked that program, they were flying out there, and skated totally crisp. It was technically better than Virtue/Moir and I found their overall musical interpretation to be better as well. Virtue/Moir still show the best range and interpersonal connection and performance ability out of any dance team out there, but they didn't skate this their best and it's not one of their best dances.
    Interesting that neither D/W or V/M had personal best scores with their FD at worlds. V/M have acknowledged that this was not their best performance of this program; however this was not D/W's best performance either - in my opinion and I think that D/W would agree. The point difference perhaps should not have been as great, but I think overall V/M did deserve to win based on both the SD and the FD. I agree that this is not my favorite FD from V/M - however it will be interesting to see what programs both D/W and V/M come up with next year....my two cents..

Custom Title
    I don't think "Funny Face" was groundbreaking in general, but I do think it was a risk for V/M. The music is rooted in the American/Broadway idiom (in a sport that's culturally more European than anything), they're working with iconic figures (so if they fail, they feel like palid imitations). They haven't really tackled a story/character piece, so it was new for them as well, along with a broader emotional range than any program they've done.

CAS, I'd be interested in hearing more thoughts about P/B. It's hard not to feel like this is a lifetime achievement award of sorts - a medal for skating well under duress on home ice.

Quote Originally Posted by gioccia View Post
    I share the same feelings, but nontheless...the fact that they got so much more in the FD with mistakes (even Russian commentator was surprised with the 4 level twizzles) makes me unhappy. DW skated more beautifully, that dance suits them.
    D/W's twizzles are the best in the business. V/M's are much slower. How they got a 4 is a travesty of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by romanoff81 View Post
    Mrs P translating fred astraire and an iconic oscar winning actress is risky especially for a movie that was not well known, the lifts by virtue and moir are superior and all new their GOE higher than D&W, the skating skills and step sequences better in unison V&M skate closer together the dance holds more seamless, Charlie has to do running steps to catch Meryl who can hit fugly positions sometimes.
    Okay a few things.

1.) Funny Face is a very well-known movie. I love that movie actually. It's considered a movie classic and garnered several Academy Award nominations. Also Gershwin songs are pretty well known. S'Wonderful is a very popular standard.
    2.) Again WHY are the lifts higher than D/W? You can't just say it's "superior."
    3.) Do you have any photos of these "fugly positions" you speak of?

Banned
    After rewatching the programs i think the french deserved bronze, weaver and poje were incredible but all the lifts they used this year were from past programs, i do concede the french did really push the boundaries there on their lifts, they skate faster as well although the second half of their program did lose energy somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I don't think "Funny Face" was groundbreaking in general, but I do think it was a risk for V/M. The music is rooted in the American/Broadway idiom (in a sport that's culturally more European than anything), they're working with iconic figures (so if they fail, they feel like palid imitations). They haven't really tackled a story/character piece, so it was new for them as well, along with a broader emotional range than any program they've done.

CAS, I'd be interested in hearing more thoughts about P/B. It's hard not to feel like this is a lifetime achievement award of sorts - a medal for skating well under duress on home ice.
    Hm, OK. I guess I could see where you're coming from. Interesting point of doing "American" music in the European standard of ID. That is probably why the Shibs' piece was not well received (though they did American music last year and that was scored much better...). The key is execution, I guess?

But why should D/W be penalized for doing music that suits them this year? Just because they didn't pick challenging music (per the definition, I suppose), the program itself was still quite challenging with a lot of great transitions. (I'm not really aiming this at you IP, just thinking out loud.)

Music is just one essence of the FD...
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-29-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Custom Title
    I liked how Weaver congratulated Pechalat at the end of their program.

Funny Face the movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccckkkkkk kkkkkksssssssssssssss.... Funny Face the FD is beautiful...

I like D/W's program a tad more, but Tessa and Scott really did a great job playing their characters.

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast