Men SP | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Men SP

Boeing787

On the Ice
Has anyone seen the protocols? Just watched CBC's broadcast and Patrick was off balance on his one foot ss and put a foot down. So he wouldnt get level 4 for that. I'm probably stating something that everybody already knows lol.

No, He was punished for the mistake. He only got level 3.

gmyers

Record Breaker
For the kind of skaters they are Kozuka did much worse than Gachinski! Should Kozuka leave Sato?

For some bizarre reason Gachinski take off of his quad toe was so slanted that he had to double it! But it may be a problem with the way the SP is that he has a loop as his individual jump and it is rare for anyone to do a triple loop double or triple toe. So Gachinski felt he had to tack on the double toe to his double toe and then continue with his 3A and 3loop. Maybe if if he was doing a lutz-toe combo in the SP. He does lutz-toes in the LPs.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Does anyone think Japan may lose it's three spots with Kozuka ending up in 13 after the short? I wonder if that added thought will put too much pressure on Hanyu, since it's probably up to him and Takahashi now.

Patrick Chan (unisports ver)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Ovhc7norU

Michael Brezina (unisports)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHGQqBWKgSw&feature=relmfu

Takahashi (uni)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD-QSEw31JU&feature=relmfu

Abbott (uni)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SbaCXFrqFc&feature=relmfu

spikydurian

Medalist
^ He is a great athlete but just to point out that many skaters did the same today, adding the combo elsewhere.

Arthur says on his fb page that he doesnt intend to leave Mishin because of a disaster, and he takes the blame on him
[FONT=HelveticaNeue[B]]it was my fault. Not mishin fault. I'm weak[/B][/FONT]

Good morning. After waking up and logging on to GS, I am (not) surprised to lengthy squabbling whilst I was sleeping. :laugh:

Ah ... I am beginning to like Gashinki, Seniorita simply because I do believe if we keep blaming others for our failures, we will never improve. (I have no opinion whether Mishin is a good coach.. not my forte to comment). He is still young. He has time to improve. If he is hungry enough, he will get there.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
Does anyone think Japan may lose it's three spots with Kozuka ending up in 13 after the short? I wonder if that added thought will put too much pressure on Hanyu, since it's probably up to him and Takahashi now.

Patrick Chan (unisports ver)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Ovhc7norU

Michael Brezina (unisports)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHGQqBWKgSw&feature=relmfu

Takahashi (uni)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD-QSEw31JU&feature=relmfu

Abbott (uni)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SbaCXFrqFc&feature=relmfu

Nope, I can definitely see Kozuka rebound. I have complete confidence that Japan will earn 3 points.

My predict is Daisuke will finish on the podium (please please). So worst case scenario is a 3rd place finish. So Kozuka or Yuzuru will have to finish 10 or above...I can see that happening.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
anything can happen, it not over till the LP is over
in pairs, if V/T can bounce from 8 to 1st in LP, its still wide open for the podium

I hope I wont jinx Yuzuru

emma

Record Breaker
trying to catch up on the competition and the thread.....hate that so many faltered, yet others really stepped up.

So, I'm very happy for Brian J...totally cool and I hope he is having a blast!!!! I'm sort of devastated for Abbott....this program, like Chan's, is not my cup of tea, but I recognize just how intricate and difficult it is, and appreciate the skating in character very much; it is amazing to me just how well Abbot kept the character and interpretation with his combo and lutz errors. I so, so wish he could have a do over. I really hope he can just enjoy his LP and show it to us in all of its beauty.

Dai - I rarely like a skater to keep a program, my my goodness gracious, this SP might be my favorite men's sp of all time; if not -it's up there. He's amazing, but this SP is amazing to me. He should 'pull a Chan' and practice the quad/triple como and practice a lutz combo ....really unfortunate that he lost so many points with his combo.

I agree that this was not Chan at his best, but as one poster way earlier in the thread pointed out, this was pretty good for Chan's SP in int competition - I think I disagree with some of the PCS but not the placement, and not the 'idea' that this was his best international showing of this program.

I'm beyond happy for Michal and I think I agree with the placement (any disagreement would be to flip him and Dai, but I think Dai's jump combo probably really did cost too much). I'm not in love with this program but really admire and appreciate his determination and growth this season.

There are so many others to mention, but my heart is just bleeding for Kazuka right now. I actually love both his programs this year, and it is really a shame he has struggled so much and this short, well....:(

I think I don't 'get' Amodio; happy for Fernandez - I feel like he 'did his job' and worked through the nerves and hats off to him!!!! Denis 10 made/makes me smile. Adam R really is more and more gorgeous every day - he made mistakes and it's a darn shame; but, I am really super impressed with his affect this year - I think he'll do better in the Long and I expect next year he will shine even brighter.

So - I've miss a lot of names - but I'm kind of exhausted. In all seriousness, is there something 'off' with the ice?

ETA i'm getting annoyed by the commentators from Universal sports and Hersh and others who talk/write about missing the combo and then making it up in the end; not that that is inaccurate but it does seem to imply or suggest a mistake - and by extension, viewers might assume a deductible mistake. rewatching chan makes me realize this a lot as he did miss his quad combo; but upon rewatching, his quad was pretty ok (no major bobble, just a sort of turn out) and his combo that he did was excellent. I wish they could find a way to say this (error that ultimately was not a point deduction error) that sounded better.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. This Chan-fan thinks that Chan fell at 4CC.

2. This Chan-fan is quite happy to see that Daisuke wasn't called for a fall as it makes it feel like less of a fluke/singling Chan out for special deductions.

3. Overall, wasn't too happy with this event.

a) Patrick was just off today. Just off. So was everyone. I'm sooooooooo bored with "Take Five" (and he's gonna skate it at WTT, probably), and when he's less than perfect, it doesn't move me. He deserved first, though.

b) Jeremy Abbott gave a textbook demonstration about why PCS and TES should be separate. Yes, he made major major mistakes that hurt the scoring potential of his program. But he sold the heck out of it - the choreography is jampacked but never seems busy, the transitions amazing.... it's just a terrifically constructed program. So yes, while it's massively frustrating to see a skater who's TES can be counted on to be consistantly lower than his PCS, I'm fine with his PCS being third in this field.

c) Happy for Joubert. Hope he medals. Don't care if he deserves it, unless someone truly steps up.

d) Brezina was good, but he's definitely a lesser skater than the tippity-top men. I rather hate his body line as he enters the jumps though - very unappealing.

e) Gachinski was boring. Hanyu was flaily and boring. Kozuka disappointing. Amodio.... whatever.

f) Daisuke is a skating god. One of the all time great men's short programs, I feel.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Japan should be fine. Dai will likely medal and I'm sure one of Yuzu or Taka can finish in the top 10, if not both. I'm not worried about it, I hoped they would do better, and having 2 Japanese men on the podium seems very unlikely now, but I think they won't have issues securing 3 spots.

Kozuka's SP score didn't really surprise me actually, he's always been more of a LP skater. Last season, he got mediocre scores for SP all season and then amazing FS scores, where his PCS suddenly shot up. Idk why he tried for the 4t in the SP when it isn't very consistent but I guess he wanted to go all out. I think both he and Yuzu will have great FS tomorrow and pull up a lot (likely not to the podium, but maybe one of them into the top 5).

emma

Record Breaker
1. This Chan-fan thinks that Chan fell at 4CC.

2. This Chan-fan is quite happy to see that Daisuke wasn't called for a fall as it makes it feel like less of a fluke/singling Chan out for special deductions.

3. Overall, wasn't too happy with this event.

a) Patrick was just off today. Just off. So was everyone. I'm sooooooooo bored with "Take Five" (and he's gonna skate it at WTT, probably), and when he's less than perfect, it doesn't move me. He deserved first, though.

b) Jeremy Abbott gave a textbook demonstration about why PCS and TES should be separate. Yes, he made major major mistakes that hurt the scoring potential of his program. But he sold the heck out of it - the choreography is jampacked but never seems busy, the transitions amazing.... it's just a terrifically constructed program. So yes, while it's massively frustrating to see a skater who's TES can be counted on to be consistantly lower than his PCS, I'm fine with his PCS being third in this field.

c) Happy for Joubert. Hope he medals. Don't care if he deserves it, unless someone truly steps up.

d) Brezina was good, but he's definitely a lesser skater than the tippity-top men. I rather hate his body line as he enters the jumps though - very unappealing.

e) Gachinski was boring. Hanyu was flaily and boring. Kozuka disappointing. Amodio.... whatever.

f) Daisuke is a skating god. One of the all time great men's short programs, I feel.

quoting you in full because overall, I couldn't agree more (tiny nitpick: chan was off, but after rewatching I just don't feel he was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo off, in fact, he nailed a lot of this and had a remarkably relaxed/in character feel to him. however, I don't love take five, and I might be a little more chan uber than you - but not stated as an intra-fan competition, just trying to be honest about where "i come from"). and I emphatically agree with you about Abott's program and Dai, who is a god. I've already re-watched this version of this SP 3 times....

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The tech panel is just bad, as usual. Joubert plans 3Lutz in the "official program guide" that skaters give to the panel and I think the panel was just too daft to see he changed it in the performance.

Takahashi's 3Toe in combination also should have been called <, not <<. I understand why he got <<, but it's not correct if you look at where his toepick actually leaves the ice.

Boeing787

On the Ice
The tech panel is just bad, as usual. Joubert plans 3Lutz in the "official program guide" that skaters give to the panel and I think the panel was just too daft to see he changed it in the performance.

Takahashi's 3Toe in combination also should have been called <, not <<. I understand why he got <<, but it's not correct if you look at where his toepick actually leaves the ice.

Well, since he didn't get the deduction for the fall...

Hikaru

Final Flight
Who knew that Pfeiffer had one of the lovelier short programs of the season?

I know! Every time I listen to that music I think of Yelena and Anton. Plus he was very determine not to stop the program for an unstrapped pant leg. And still makes a little fun our of the incident.

evangeline

Record Breaker
....and Dai, who is a god. I've already re-watched this version of this SP 3 times....

I've watched it at least 5 times already.....

I didn't think anything could top what Daisuke did at NHK, but I think he exceeded his NHK SP performance-wise here at Worlds, even with the screwup on the 4T-3T. More speed, more fire, more abandon. The way he blazed through that step sequence was especially divine. I don't care what the scores say, but Daisuke's was the performance of the night for me.

I do hope that Daisuke will keep this SP for next season, because I too believe it's one of the all-time greats as well. Kudos to both Daisuke and David Wilson for creating this masterpiece.