Men SP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Men SP

skatinginbc

Medalist
When Chan had the similar touch down at 4CC, people went crazy about the judging, the conspiracy theories, taking pix to prove "it's a fall" blah blah blah
but now, it seems like the same thing happened to Dai...but people are getting quiet, or pretend it didn't happen? LOL
Prove it with pictures. I wasn't sure Chan had a fall until the pictures were shown.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I'm not Chan's biggest fan but still... Gosh, he has tremendous jumps and spins. His step sequences are amazing. Those pointed toes (I don't know if this is the correct way to name it in english) are to die for.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Chan was clean. Flawed but clean.

*waiting for claims of fall equivalents*

lolwut. Even as a fellow Chan fan (though not quite as vested as you), that's just ridiculous. Going clean in figure skating has never just meant not falling, it means not making any deductible errors. Spinning out on the quad and the badly controlled footwork sequence start are both errors requiring deductions. If not falling is the sole determinant of going clean, then almost all the skaters went clean so far. :sarcasm:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy doubling that solo 3lutz was a super expensive mistake. Not only does he get the miserable base value of a 2lutz instead, but he gets the maximum -GOE for failing a required element (either a triple or quadruple out of steps is required).

What's even more disheartening is that this SP layout was supposed to be his safe plan as opposed to the 4T+3T attempt. It's like after the brilliance that was Nationals, the lights went out. I don't know if it's mental where he goes into Nationals knowing he's the best one there and that he can win and therefore allows his body to do it, but then he steps onto World Championship ice knowing there's huge doubt that he can win and then he blocks himself from giving his best performance. Also, I have to wonder if his back problems may be more severe than were let on.

blainechan

Match Penalty
With the mess that Abbott had, his PCS sure held him up nicely. 3rd highest PCS so far IS A BIG JOKE!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm not Chan's biggest fan but still... Gosh, he has tremendous jumps and spins. His step sequences are amazing. Those pointed toes (I don't if this is the correct way to name it in english) are to die for.

Ah, the dance training didn't go unnoticed. I love his camel spin stretch and the wonderful line. Glad he doesn't do donut for level's sake.

Now that the US has thoroughly stunk it up in all four singles slots, maybe the USFSA will finally invest some real PR love into D/W and the rest of the ice dance program give it's the only reliable leg US skating has to stand on. Also, invest more in the up coming pair teams that are all showing so much promise. I hate to be so negative, but IMO, this current generation of singles skaters are all a lost cause. At best, they are hot and cold (Abbott and Wagner) and at worst, they are utterly unfit as competitors (Czizny and Rippon). I know they are working hard, but they are just not doing it at an almost predictable level at this point. I cant even really get myself excited for US ladies or men at this point.

I don't know what to say, but I can't disagree with you. It's not that the rest of the world has passed us by. If we had skaters who were merely competent but largely reliable, then we could say that. But so many of our top-ranked singles skaters (some with real talent) seem to crumble like a sugar sculpture in a rainstorm. I do wish Davis/White would get more prominence, because they're stunning representatives of American sport. But I also wish we could find someone with a bit of drive and calm who was also good at singles skating.

Really, instead of having Yuka Sato attempt to coach American skaters, she should just come back as a competitive skater and skate for the U.S. She's married to an American, after all. Maybe she has a U.S. passport by now.

blainechan

Match Penalty
Prove it with pictures. I wasn't sure Chan had a fall until the pictures were shown.
Would those people do the same for Dai and debate over weeks about it? I think not! That proves nothing but every skater can get away with bad judging but not Chan. Some people will find anything they could to pound on Chan and his marks, REGARDLESS!

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Uh, there are 6 more skaters in the SP; that's definitely NOT a given at this point.

Penultimate, means group next to last. Even if all remaining skaters beat Abbott, he will be in 12th place which will place him in the "penultimate group."

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With the mess that Abbott had, his PCS sure held him up nicely. 3rd highest PCS so far IS A BIG JOKE!

And just like clockwork, a hypocritical Chan fan dictates to others that they can't criticize Patrick's marks, but then has no qualms with criticizing the marks of another skater. Jeremy IS a terrific skater; he just isn't the best competitor by any stretch of the imagination.

alexeifan

On the Ice
What's even more disheartening is that this SP layout was supposed to be his safe plan as opposed to the 4T+3T attempt. It's like after the brilliance that was Nationals, the lights went out. I don't know if it's mental where he goes into Nationals knowing he's the best one there and that he can win and therefore allows his body to do it, but then he steps onto World Championship ice knowing there's huge doubt that he can win and then he blocks himself from giving his best performance. Also, I have to wonder if his back problems may be more severe than were let on.
must be because he did so badly at the hague, alissa and jeremy may be injured i'm guessing