Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast

Thread: LADIES FREE Skate

Custom Title
    Some comments. Carolina deserved the win here at Nice. Sad though to have a winner who can barely land a triple flip. I always felt Carolina was an extremely lucky skater but such is life timing is everything. She really should count her lucky stars she is so well loved considering all in respect to her skating. Alissa's skatess will have many yelling retire, give it up. She could pull a Maria Butyrskaya but after a bad competition Maria usually came back People complain about Patrick Chan falling but Alissa was like a human zamboni machine. It really marred the performances because she fell awkwardly often. As for Amelie Lacoste - how sad. NOthing to write home about and not even clean jumps. Canada needs to see if Phanuef re emerges as a star under Brian Orser, See if Kateyln picks up and best yet, Joannie returns. Bravo also Ashley Wagner - nice work leding the US ladies. You did great! On the sad note I am a little bored of Jenna McCorkell but she is the british champion - mainly because there is no competition. Poor Mao - maybe she needs tof igure otu if she wants to skate?

Rinkside
    Leonova's presentation score was a disgrace. Her SP worked for her; her long program is one I have no desire to ever watch again. I love Carolina, but how is her technical elements score above Suzuki's? Do jumps really count that little in this system? Going along with that, how could Ashley Wagner's technical elements score be below Caro's as well? I found Murakami more endearing than earlier in the season. Asada still has lots of beauty in her skating. I think Kexin Zhang has lots of potential; how could her presentation score be 45.50? I thought she was very artistic and in synch with the music. She is behind Glebova's 46.98, something I cannot fathom.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by LeReveur View Post
    Leonova's presentation score was a disgrace. Her SP worked for her; her long program is one I have no desire to ever watch again. I love Carolina, but how is her technical elements score above Suzuki's? Do jumps really count that little in this system? Going along with that, how could Ashley Wagner's technical elements score be below Caro's as well?
    Yep, yet another course for endless frustration. Sometimes I wonder why I even care about this "sport"...

ETA: BTW, the nuclear meltdown of Czisny was FAR more frustrating to me than any potential mis-scoring at Wagner's expense...FWIW
    Last edited by R.D.; 04-05-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Poor Mao - maybe she needs tof igure otu if she wants to skate?
    She didn't do as well as she would have liked, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want to skate. I find it odd that you would even question her motivation.

Custom Title
    Was Wagner mis-scored in TES? Sure she did 7 triples, but one was downgraded, one was a flutz. So she had 5 clean triples and 2 faulty ones.

flip attempts by both
    Caro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOf6-...tailpage#t=94s

Ashley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...f6dOJ-s#t=221s

Salchow attempts
    Caro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOf6-...ailpage#t=214s

Ashley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...f6dOJ-s#t=187s

I apologize in advance for the trivial nature of what I am about to write, but it was one of the last things I saw in the ladies' competition, and has stuck in my mind and I need an outlet.
    I wish Ksenia would learn to sit like a lady in the K&S. I saw her act like Marilyn on the ice, and then sit like a total man. It was so jarring, and her face is so beautiful I just wish she could keep up the image with a feminine posture.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I apologize in advance for the trivial nature of what I am about to write, but it was one of the last things I saw in the ladies' competition, and has stuck in my mind and I need an outlet.
    I wish Ksenia would learn to sit like a lady in the K&S. I saw her act like Marilyn on the ice, and then sit like a total man. It was so jarring, and her face is so beautiful I just wish she could keep up the image with a feminine posture.
    You should apologise for that kind of comment. You shouldn't encourage sexist stereotypes. Do men get to have a monopoly on relaxed sitting postures, or is that only the privilege of "total" men? Ksenia should be able sit any way she wants without having her femininity put down.

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    You should apologise for that kind of comment. You shouldn't encourage sexist stereotypes. Do men get to have a monopoly on relaxed sitting postures, or is that only the privilege of "total" men? Ksenia should be able sit any way she wants without having her femininity put down.
    I agree it's an awkward thing to say and it can be taken as a sexist comment, but if someone's fly is open or they've got hair hanging out of their nose, you'd have the compunction to point it out, wouldn't you? To me, it's the same sort of thing. I find Ksenia to be really beautiful, and it sort of ruins it for me when I see the way she sits.

But it's really a minor, trival point I've made.
    Last edited by hurrah; 04-06-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Custom Title
    Having your pants zipper unclosed or spinach in your teeth isn't the same as someone saying you're less of a woman for the way you sit. There's no insult in the first two, and frankly, there's nothing wrong with the third that requires correction.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Was Wagner mis-scored in TES?
    To me, Wagner was mis-scored in PCS the most. How Wagner's LP had lower PCS than Leonova's tentative and empty program (especially in CH and TR of all things!!) is beyond my comprehension.

Custom Title
    I wish I had better discernment; fortunately I am not a judge. So many deserving skaters of medals and only three. The problem is my sense of justice is different than yours. I get discouraged sometimes when I see how it is often you are cheering or like and sometimes it is who is the loudest that "wins" on these threads but we aren't the judges. If I had my way I'd say Carolina you got your gold now retire because you have been so lucky in the past. Leonova take the silver and run you earned it. But you are vulnerable. the thing is so many want more and more or Oly glory. Wagner had wonderful skates regardless of placements. We can analyze and re analyze. We, well I can give argument for all sorts of different placements. Ultimately the judges decided and I can see how they came to their decisions. I may not agree but I can see how they got to the decision. I do wonder if that is the last we will see if Ksenia? I hear Jenna wants to continue but I kind of think it would be nice to see a new British champion. Mao needs to decide what she wants in life as does Alissa. Whatever they want and decide no regrets. while I do think Carolina is a lucky girl - maybe just at th eright place at the right time she did deserve gold but I do give kudos to Leonova for sticking it out and performing when many thought she would crash and burn.

Custom Title
    I haven't seen anyone comment on this aspect of it, but is Carolina the first Italian lady to win a world gold? It's possible she is, or at least the first since World War II. I just finally watched her program, and the video I found had the RAI commentary (the Italian TV network). I don't know Italian except for words like molto bene, but there was no mistaking the out-and-out jubilation at the end of the skate and at the marks. The two commentators, both women, were almost screaming in excitement. In any case, quite an achievement.

That is also one of the loveliest costumes I've seen in awhile (though Rachael's Firebird dress still tops the list for me). The glittery fabric is beautiful, and the way it shades into a darker gray is stunning.
    Last edited by Olympia; 04-07-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I haven't seen anyone comment on this aspect of it, but is Carolina the first Italian lady to win a world gold? It's possible she is, or at least the first since World War II. I just finally watched her program, and the video I found had the RAI commentary (the Italian TV network). I don't know Italian except for words like molto bene, but there was no mistaking the out-and-out jubilation at the end of the skate and at the marks. The two commentators, both women, were almost screaming in excitement. In any case, quite an achievement.
    Yes, she is the first Italian lady ever to win European Gold, the Grand Prix Final and a World title. The commentators were so happy for her lol.

Custom Title
    Good for her!

And I love that two of the three winners were such "aged" ladies--25 and 27 years old.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    That is also one of the loveliest costumes I've seen in awhile (though Rachael's Firebird dress still tops the list for me). The glittery fabric is beautiful, and the way it shades into a darker gray is stunning.
    Carolina designed it herself: http://www.carolina-kostner.it/I-costumes.htm

Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast