LADIES FREE Skate | Page 46 | Golden Skate

LADIES FREE Skate

seniorita

Record Breaker
I didnt remember Carolina before Worlds 2005 but now I read it was her tenth worlds:eek:
I went back and watched her lp from worlds 2005 with the amazing combo at the start and her 2a-3s, even flawed thats one of my fav combos.

johnny 80

Match Penalty
Michelle's coach had to take the 3T-3T out of her 1998 Olympics prpogram because Michelle was recovering from a broken foot. She substituted an eight jumping pass (allowed in those days) and still gave a seven triple performance. (3Lz+2T, 3Lo+half-loop+2T, 3F, 2A, 3Lo, 3S, 3Lz, 3T)

In 2002 she attempted 3T+3T, but she two-footed the first jump and could only do a 2T after. (3Lo, 3T+2T, 3Lz+2Lo, 2A, 3F (fall), 3LS, 3Lz)

In all she did 3T+3T successfully 11 times in major competition, including 5 times at the World Championships.

Anyway, She didn't do 3T-3T in two olympics. Right?

No ''would, could, should''

Arakawa could execute 3-3, but she played safe in olympics.

She didn't do 3-3 in Torino.

Twenty years ago, Yamaguchi tried 3Lz-3T in olympic free..

Yes, she Did, not ''would, could, should''

If '''would, could, should'' possible , Plushenko would be 3 OGM now....

Last edited:

geoffil

Spectator
Thank you mathman for the nice welcome. Do you have any inside info about what happened to Alissa being that you are from Michigan?
I don't understand why she didn't double her jumps or just withdraw? During the kiss and cry neither Jason nor Yuka were talking to Alissa. If I were a coach I would have been rapid firing questions as to what happened unless I already knew the problem.

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko Suzuki won this World Championships, IMO. Her PCS should have been at the level of Kostner's (less on skating skills but higher on others) and she definitely beat Kostner on the jumps in the LP. It was lovely to see Kostner so well composed, though. Very happy for her too.

Me too. She would have been at par in terms of PCS with Carolina in the SP. Her triple-triple was a cracker!

In the LP she landed 6 triples, had the best transitions, command and musicality. She was not given the PCS she deserves. She deserved 8's in all PCS.

This is Worlds in Europe after all and France is near Italy, so all Carolina fans trooped to watch her. Caro also deserves the gold for all her dedication and improvement through the years! This was meant for her. With Yu-Na and Miki out, surely it was Caro's title for the taking since the beginning of the season.

Johnny 80 said:

The post I was responding to is this one:

Johnny 80 said:
She did not try 3-3 in two Olympics, played too safely.

No, I don't think she played it safely. I think she went all out both times. Didn't work out for her, but that's skating. ;)

Do you have any inside info about what happened to Alissa being that you are from Michigan?

I don't understand why she didn't double her jumps or just withdraw? During the kiss and cry neither Jason nor Yuka were talking to Alissa. If I were a coach I would have been rapid firing questions as to what happened unless I already knew the problem.

No, I do not have any inside information. I am as baffled as anyone.

About deliberately doubling her jumps or withdrawing, that's not Alissa's style. She always goes for everything she has planned and practiced for, no matter what. I assume that Alissa's coaches were as numb in the kiss and cry as we all were -- what was there to say?

I have seen Alissa do some really fine programs in practice and in local shows and competitions, and I have seen her do some stinkeroos. Oh well. I like her, rain or shine. :)

christinaskater

Medalist
Who knows Akiko may win in the future and beat Maria's record.
Akiko , Shizuka, Maria are all late bloomers of the sport!

christinaskater

Medalist
Michelle in the 1998 Olympics recently had an injury so she was not able to do the 3-3 .
In the 2002 Olympics she also had an underlying injury-she just did not say it.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
but Michelle had no 3T-3T.. Yuka neither..
They got no 3T-3T even in free..

Even Kostner and Leonova did 3T-3T in short.

Last year Ando ,, no 3-3

All podium members in this worlds got 3T-3T in LP this year..

In COP era, Female athletes make many mistakes because they are trying difficult tricks such as 3Lz-3T,
3F-3T, 3loop-3loop, 2A-3T etc.

Since Yamaguch tried 3L-3T in 92 Olympics' Free, Only Few women has succeeded..

If '''would, could, should'' possible , Plushenko would be 3 OGM now....

So are you talking about Worlds or the Olympics?

Because you started your argument with Worlds but ended it with the Olympics and I'm a little confused as how to respond. o___O

hurrah

Medalist
Besides,Japanese TV shows her nosebleed during Leonova's skate. Not sure it was a reason of her luck of fucus though.

If she had a sudden nose bleed, it might have been due to her having taken pain killers, like aspirin.

More I think about it, more nutty and admirable this seems. If Mao was injured and took painkillers simply to do put in a subpar performance, she must have done that to preserve Japan's third spot. And she risked further injury not for herself but for someone else because next year, she's not gonna be the third spot. She's gonna be the first spot.

So I think that's just Mao all the way and I am left in disbelief yet again.

Last edited:
Welcome, susanf. Thanks for posting. Poster's who agree with me are always welcome around here! (They are so few and far between. ;) )

joy k.k

Rinkside
If she had a sudden nose bleed, it might have been due to her having taken pain killers, like aspirin.

More I think about it, more nutty and admirable this seems. If Mao was injured and took painkillers simply to do put in a subpar performance, she must have done that to preserve Japan's third spot. And she risked further injury not for herself but for someone else because next year, she's not gonna be the third spot. She's gonna be the first spot.

So I think that's just Mao all the way and I am left in disbelief yet again.

I don't think Mao was injured . She said she has no idea what had happened to her. She said she still doesn't know what had happened to her when she was asked why on the next day. She said she was doing great while she was in Japan. She was nailing 3As. Everything started to go downhill when she arrived in Nice. I think she peaked too soon. She looked tired during her FS.

mariposa

Rinkside
A bit off topic...but I was sooooo disappointed in Amelie Lacoste's performance in both programmes. Her expression at the end of her long says it all. And no, I don't think Cynthia would have done much better...but really folks, what's up with Canadian ladies..I'm afraid once again Skate Canada will put all their eggs in one basket with the bronze medalist, Kaetlyn Osmond. She's has tons of talent, yes, but is far from a "star". Too much pressure can destroy a skater's mental strength. Just sayin'..any thoughts?

hurrah

Medalist
I don't think Mao was injured . She said she has no idea what had happened to her. She said she still doesn't know what had happened to her when she was asked why on the next day. She said she was doing great while she was in Japan. She was nailing 3As. Everything started to go downhill when she arrived in Nice. I think she peaked too soon. She looked tired during her FS.

That she had peaked a bit too early might have occured, but there's Youtube video of her nailing her jumps solidly in the morning practice a day after the short. Also, if she wasn't injured, why would Shizu offer the comment that Mao 'seemed hesitant in a way that was not related to nerves'? (Shizu was basically saying that she thought Mao was not in her best shape not due to a mental but physical, i.e., injury problem.) Or what would account for the sudden nose bleed? It's not like she crashed into a wall. She was just sitting there and her nose just started to bleed. Also, Mao's now been replaced by Miki or Kanako to participate in World Team Trophy, which is kind of disappointing for me as I'd bought tickets to that event because they had announced that Mao would be participating, but it makes sense if she needs to recover from an injury.

Mao keeping mums about injuries is nothing new. She never reveals her injuries, and they only come out years after the fact through her biographer or someone like that.

But I'm guessing that it was something like a sprain. Otherwise, her Federation would never have risked it. They know that Mao's long term health is far more important than securing next year's third spot. And I'm sure they still felt ambivalent about putting Mao in any danger, and it must have been Mao who said that she would do it. I think they would have preferred for her to just stroke about the whole four and a half minutes, rather than attempting and succeeding three triples (flip, flutz and sal)!

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Thank you mathman for the nice welcome. Do you have any inside info about what happened to Alissa being that you are from Michigan?
You don't want to do that in front of the press. Also, since they have a couple year relationship, they now how and when to address those things and that was not the when nor the how. A little professionalism by coaches goes a long way!

joy k.k

Rinkside
That she had peaked a bit too early might have occured, but there's Youtube video of her nailing her jumps solidly in the morning practice a day after the short. Also, if she wasn't injured, why would Shizu offer the comment that Mao 'seemed hesitant in a way that was not related to nerves'? (Shizu was basically saying that she thought Mao was not in her best shape not due to a mental but physical, i.e., injury problem.) Or what would account for the sudden nose bleed? It's not like she crashed into a wall. She was just sitting there and her nose just started to bleed. Also, Mao's now been replaced by Miki or Kanako to participate in World Team Trophy, which is kind of disappointing for me as I'd bought tickets to that event because they had announced that Mao would be participating, but it makes sense if she needs to recover from an injury.

Mao keeping mums about injuries is nothing new. She never reveals her injuries, and they only come out years after the fact through her biographer or someone like that.

But I'm guessing that it was something like a sprain. Otherwise, her Federation would never have risked it. They know that Mao's long term health is far more important than securing next year's third spot. And I'm sure they still felt ambivalent about putting Mao in any danger, and it must have been Mao who said that she would do it. I think they would have preferred for her to just stroke about the whole four and a half minutes, rather than attempting and succeeding three triples (flip, flutz and sal)!

Yes. I saw her practice video too. She was doing great except her 3As. And I heard Arakawa said Mao wasn't in the best shape that day. I think she was too tired. She overtrained to get those 3As back. She looked genuinely confused during her interview.

I just remember reading some report said she traind too hard so she couldn't move her body at all like two weeks before the competition. It said they thought she has recovered from the exhaustion already but she wasn't fully recovered or something.

Whatever happened, I feel terrible for Mao and hope she recovers for next season. We know that her difficulties weren't caused by lack of heart, that's for sure. It's unusual that someone with her delicate artistry is also able to summon up such fierce drive even under great pressure--but she does it every time. Get some rest, Mao, and give yourself time to grieve for your mother. I know from experience that it's not an easy process. Your fans will be waiting for you when you come back next season.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Liza T was suffering from burn out by the time of the GPF due to all the travelling she had done, her early start to the season, and it being her first season in seniors (all be it that she could not compete in senior Euro's and Worlds). That's why they decided to curtail her season after the YOG's to give her time to recuperate and prepare for next season. Its hardly surprising therefore that she had problems at the GPF.
Sorry, but that is a problem that her team needed to have sorted out - the burn out factor. That could easily happen again at Senior Worlds next season if they don't manage her season (training and competition) properly and she DID NOT win the GPF and if she were lucky might have podiumed.
IMHO, I think this is a poor excuse in the same way I see CC/4CC as a poor excuse for Alissa - that was her team's decision to do that competition and if it wreaked havoc on her programs at Worlds, then they screwed up by choosing to do that competition. If Liza T was burned out, then her team made poor choices in the summer/fall to cause that. You have to be ready to put it out when it counts and in Liza T's case that should have been the GPF (which was her last Senior international of the season) and in Alissa's case that should have been Worlds.