LADIES FREE Skate | Page 48 | Golden Skate

LADIES FREE Skate

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish I had better discernment; fortunately I am not a judge. So many deserving skaters of medals and only three. The problem is my sense of justice is different than yours. I get discouraged sometimes when I see how it is often you are cheering or like and sometimes it is who is the loudest that "wins" on these threads but we aren't the judges. If I had my way I'd say Carolina you got your gold now retire because you have been so lucky in the past. Leonova take the silver and run you earned it. But you are vulnerable. the thing is so many want more and more or Oly glory. Wagner had wonderful skates regardless of placements. We can analyze and re analyze. We, well I can give argument for all sorts of different placements. Ultimately the judges decided and I can see how they came to their decisions. I may not agree but I can see how they got to the decision. I do wonder if that is the last we will see if Ksenia? I hear Jenna wants to continue but I kind of think it would be nice to see a new British champion. Mao needs to decide what she wants in life as does Alissa. Whatever they want and decide no regrets. while I do think Carolina is a lucky girl - maybe just at th eright place at the right time she did deserve gold but I do give kudos to Leonova for sticking it out and performing when many thought she would crash and burn.

I haven't seen anyone comment on this aspect of it, but is Carolina the first Italian lady to win a world gold? It's possible she is, or at least the first since World War II. I just finally watched her program, and the video I found had the RAI commentary (the Italian TV network). I don't know Italian except for words like molto bene, but there was no mistaking the out-and-out jubilation at the end of the skate and at the marks. The two commentators, both women, were almost screaming in excitement. In any case, quite an achievement.

That is also one of the loveliest costumes I've seen in awhile (though Rachael's Firebird dress still tops the list for me). The glittery fabric is beautiful, and the way it shades into a darker gray is stunning.

Last edited:

jiggs

On the Ice
I haven't seen anyone comment on this aspect of it, but is Carolina the first Italian lady to win a world gold? It's possible she is, or at least the first since World War II. I just finally watched her program, and the video I found had the RAI commentary (the Italian TV network). I don't know Italian except for words like molto bene, but there was no mistaking the out-and-out jubilation at the end of the skate and at the marks. The two commentators, both women, were almost screaming in excitement. In any case, quite an achievement.

Yes, she is the first Italian lady ever to win European Gold, the Grand Prix Final and a World title. The commentators were so happy for her lol.

Good for her!

And I love that two of the three winners were such "aged" ladies--25 and 27 years old.

doctor2014

On the Ice
National Listings – Eastern Time:
Figure Skating:World Championships - World Championships
Sun, Apr 8 3:00 PM

The World Championships, taped March 26-April 1 in Nice, France. Top skaters include Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner, Patrick Chan, Jeremy Abbott, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, and Meryl Davis and Charlie White.

It's on now, though the ladies part seems as if it will be on last. They say three hours, and they're already past ice dance and pairs (they just announced pairs without showing anything), so I'm hoping that the last hour will show the exhibition. Wouldn't that be grand?

So far Rippon has been allowed to drop down into the depths of the rankings off-camera, while Abbott did his usual clutch reaction skate and is out of the picture. And here's Hanyu!

verte76

On the Ice
National Listings – Eastern Time:
Figure Skating:World Championships - World Championships
Sun, Apr 8 3:00 PM

The World Championships, taped March 26-April 1 in Nice, France. Top skaters include Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner, Patrick Chan, Jeremy Abbott, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, and Meryl Davis and Charlie White.

I'm watching it now.

Yes, the costume was perfect for her, in terms of line and also in terms of how light and shadow played across it. It made Carolina look extra-magical. I also agree that she was wonderful in the interview, so poised and articulate.

And we got to see Takahashi again! How dynamically he skated. I was happy to get a good look at Chan also, and to be able to compare them. I think that Tracy Wilson (I'm assuming it was she; I missed the beginning but heard Canadian intonations in the short vowels) gave some really helpful comments about all the skaters. Her remarks about Chan and Takahashi were especially enlightening, because she pointed out that when Takahashi landed his jumps, snow was kicked up. Such landings would tend to slow his glide, said Wilson, and I see that this is something Daisuke could work on. I still loved his program best, but I understand some of the evaluations a bit better.