LADIES FREE Skate | Page 44 | Golden Skate

LADIES FREE Skate

DianaSelene

Medalist
Overall, this is the result Speedy/Europeans probably wanted: 2 Europeans, 1 Russian for payback last year, 1 European champion finally get her decade long bonus, and 1 Japanese does't matter who. Everybody get their turn. US's turn is next, maybe Gracie (or *sheepishly whispers* Mirai) would be in time to deliver it.

Carolina Kostner is the rightful winner, won by default of one of the weakest ladies field in years, had Ando and Yuna returned, I doubt she would have enjoyed the favourable momentum this year which surely had became a confidence booster.

The top 3 ladies, none of them produced a 3:3, Carolina doesn't even have a Lutz, and I thought her PCS 65 were over marked relative to Ashley 57, when Ashley actually had the 2nd highest TES out of the ladies tonight and a great program, but ranked 5th overall in PCS. It is lucky then the overmarking wouldn't have made enough of a difference in the rankings, unlike the mens today.

I though Akiko should be ahead of Alena overall, and thought it was a bit lol Alena celebrated after her performance like she had just won the WC already. Gotta love that girl's spunk, simple mindedness mixed with passionate vigor. Overall, Ashley did an amazing job that I knew she would have the FS by the balls :p Great able to climb from 8th till 4th, pity she didn't do as well in the short, otherwise she would have been on the podium already.

My heart goes out to Alissa, this is an utter disaster but then... so what! Tomorrow is another day, and there are more to life than skating. Hopefully she won't dwell in the past and just get over this voodooed year and move on in a positive way. Look forward to see her on happier terms in Yuna's show in Korea in May! I look forward to Ladies upgraded content next year when the Russian babies (+ 1 US and hopefully Chinese baby) start to bring their arsenal of attacks and hopefully have a few nice pleasant surprise in store for us!

I'd give Mao a break, this year hasn't been easy for her personally, and the non jump parts I saw, there were visible improvements of great quality. It is undoubtedly a lovely program that she performed with a lot f heart this time round. You can just see it, she has become a much maturer skater that seems to be more relaxed and comfortable with herself compares with previous where she tends to look unsteady and unsure, full of worries when approaching her big elements. Wish her the best next year to iron out all the issues. I will miss seeing her Jupiter gala this time round.

You said that none of the top 3 ladies did a 3-3 but I'm pretty sure both Kostner and Leonova did a 3T-3T both in the sp and lp in this competition.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You said that none of the top 3 ladies did a 3-3 but I'm pretty sure both Kostner and Leonova did a 3T-3T both in the sp and lp in this competition.

I am refering to the FS top 3. Alena was 4th in FS and she did do a 3T+3T

Tigger

Final Flight
About all these young Russian girls who will be entering seniors next year: Don't forget, they're all due to be hit with puberty pretty soon. It will be interesting to see who survives it.

Which is my worry about Sui and Han. Yes, they're incredable right now, but what happens when the Puberty Monster comes calling on her? Same thing w/the Russian girls about to hit the Sr scene.

Did anyone else watching Bold see the interview PJ did w/Brian Orser during the Mens event? She asked him why so few Ladies did the triple axel and while he did say he thought a part of it was due to the Men having more power and strength to be able to do the jump, by the way he was humming and hawing... I just got the impression Brian was searching for a way to say that what happens during puberty w/a certain part of the body developing on girls also had a part of it, but he couldn't figure how to say that w/out getting himself into trouble, so he didn't say it. Anyway...

I've been waiting a very long time to post this at a skating board...

Congratulations World Champion Carolina Kostner!!!

Finally, she delieved two strong performances w/out imploading due to her nerves and I am beyond thrilled for her tonight. I know some are complaining about the lack of a lutz, but isn't that more to do w/her knee issues than her not being able to do it? I could swear I read somewhere Carolina needed to not do the lutz in order for the knee to heal completely and properly after the last time it reared it's head. Can't remember where I read that, but I could swear I did somewhere over the last year and a bit.

I also can't wait to tell my Brother in Law the news. He imigrated to Canada when he was 13 w/his three brothers, but has never lost his love for the Country of his Birth. Carmen always asks me if Italy has any skaters coming up through the ranks and the last few years, how Carolina's been doing. He's going to so happy to hear this news. :eek:D

Kudos also to Lori Nicholl for giving Carolina two magificant programs this year. Her short program is one of my very favourites of this past season and due to all of the little touches in it. Such as when Carolina hits that spiral position and then goes on the toe pick right on the note of the music...Love that!! Carolina is also one of the first Ladies skater I've seen w/an one piece jumpsuit/costume w/leggings since the costume change took place that not only looks amazing in it, but the costume itself is also stunning. Then again, she's also got the long and gorgeous lines to show off and use that costume to it's advantage too.

I remember the first time seeing her during the coverage of that Skate Canada in St. John's, Newfoundland so long ago and thinking that while she needed to grow into her body, Carolina did have this coltish look to her in those early days IMO, this young lady was someone to keep a close eye on as the years went on. As I said last night, watching her grow up and into the elegant and charming lady she is today has been so much fun, but the only thing missing was a World Championship.

Not anymore. :eek:)

Oh and Carolina wasn't the only one crying during that Medal Ceremony. I proudly admit it w/out shame. I was bawling too. :eek:D

Also so thrilled for Akiko!! After everything she has been through from recovering from Anorexia to not getting the attention from the JSF she should have to just having to fight for every single thing she's acheived in skating...Bronze is pretty darned sweet. :eek:) So thrilled and happy for her. If only her pick hadn't slipped on that lutz, it would have been Silver, but when you look back on all Akiko's gone through and survived...

I'm sure that Bronze will be looked on as a Gold and rightfully so.

I can't say anything about Alena or Mao, as I've been going through another bad bout of my health issues and things have gotten a bit worse again. I've done more sleeping w/the coverage on Bold on here in my room and the DVR in the next room putting everything on DVD than I've watched this week and for those that know what I've going through the last 10 years, that should give you a good idea of just how bad things have really gotten now. Just trying to do the littlest things wipe me out anymore, so all of these early mornings this week?

Yeah. :eek:(

I did see Ashley's amazing skate, but as soon as that last note ended, I literally had to run to the bathroom and when I got back down here, Mao had just gotten her marks. So I can't say anything to add in here about whether or not Alena deserved her Silver or not or how Mao did, as it's kind of tough to do when you haven't seen it. I will say this about Alena though, she's such a spunky thing and her joy of skating just shines from her like a lighthouse beacon, that I can't help but like her. The problem w/her is she's w/Morozov and in turn...Wish she could at the very least go to a different Choreographer, but as long as she's w/Morozov we all know the odds of that happening sadly.

Back to Ashley...WHAT A YEAR!!! ITA w/Toni, it's a bummer she didn't pull off what Tatiana and Maxim did yesterday, but considering so many had written her off a couple of years ago...Well, fourth in the World ain't too shabby. :eek:D Combine that w/the US Ladies Championship and not too bad at *all*. So very proud of her and I can't wait to see what she gives us next season.

As for Alissa...It seems like she never got back in the groove of things after that injury she suffered just before the GPF. I really hope she comes back next year stronger than before.

Not even going to touch on Amelie as it's just too depressing.

What a way to end this year's Worlds!!

guanchi

On the Ice
Congrats to Speedy and Sonia, err Carolina.
Maybe for Sonia, CoP is really working now ;)
Ashley, great job- luv your new go for it attitude this year.
Alissa.,..chin-up just for completing that.
And now for Gold and the Russians (and maybe Yuna?) in 2014!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I just finished watching and I m thrilled with Karolina winning, she was like a hollywood star among girls with this Lp, the program is so wonderful, what a great season she has had!!!I m so happy!

When I realised Leonova would medal I was :eek:, especially after Euros disaster, I dont know what Morosov does apart from iffy choreo but it works, Amodio, Alena, I/K and even Voronov have started delivering under pressure. Kudos to her, thats a proof that you dont have to be theoritically the best skater to medal.

Akiko was so beautiful in the blue dress, and finally won a medal, my most enjoyable program together with Ashley's who gained a new fan this season :) I hope she doesnt choose a princessy program ever again like in the past, this season program suit her so nice!
Mao, it is never about medals anymore, she is a butterfly, when she skated after Alena her qualities that the rest dont have became soooo striking. Bravo, at the end these worlds were great!

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I also can't wait to tell my Brother in Law the news. He imigrated to Canada when he was 13 w/his three brothers, but has never lost his love for the Country of his Birth. Carmen always asks me if Italy has any skaters coming up through the ranks and the last few years, how Carolina's been doing. He's going to so happy to hear this news. :eek:D
I feel the same way! Two of my very dear friends are Italian and follow Italian sports obsessively...can't wait to tell them we have an Italian world champion now! :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I had to stop watching after Ashley but cannot wait to see Carolina and Akiko. Two of my favorites on the podium, yay! Ashley - VERY nice job. Fourth place! woohoo! that will definitely motivate her to keep going next year. Ashley doesn't strike me as the type to crumble under the pressure of being a favorite. I think she thrives on being on top. I wish Alissa and Mirai were the same. Alas.

I'm glad Carolina is a world champion. The details of why she was able to win this time - bah. This is a girl that has so many ups and downs - for her to hold it together when she went in as a favorite: Hooray!! And such a lovely, stand-out skater. I am thrilled that she is joining the ranks of world champion. And Akiko getting on the podium after everything she went through to come back. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bentley

Rinkside
I for one hope the US never sents Cisney to compete in worlds again. If she is indeed injured than she needs to be fined like Rachel Flatt was. Some of you will defend Cisney to the death but expect Wagner to skate so well as to maintain two spots. Sorry but there were two skaters in the competition and the job fell to both of them. Funny about some of you. So forgiving of your favorite but so daming of those you don't like

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I fully expect Ashley to win a silver or bronze at Worlds next year. I think she will be motivated to become an even better skater by this. Kostner will defend her title next year though.

Alissa will never come close to making a U.S World team again. She will receive Flatt-like USFSA dumpage next year in the unlikely event she is foolish enough to compete ever again. She can be proud of a fine career though, 2 U.S titles and a GP final victory. The team will be Wagner and Gold unless Gold falters in which case the 2nd spot could go to either Zhang, or one of Nagasu or Agnes if they get their acts together.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Akiko Suzuki won this World Championships, IMO. Her PCS should have been at the level of Kostner's (less on skating skills but higher on others) and she definitely beat Kostner on the jumps in the LP. It was lovely to see Kostner so well composed, though. Very happy for her too.

Becki

Medalist
I fully expect Ashley to win a silver or bronze at Worlds next year. I think she will be motivated to become an even better skater by this. Kostner will defend her title next year though.

Alissa will never come close to making a U.S World team again. She will receive Flatt-like USFSA dumpage next year in the unlikely event she is foolish enough to compete ever again. She can be proud of a fine career though, 2 U.S titles and a GP final victory. The team will be Wagner and Gold unless Gold falters in which case the 2nd spot could go to either Zhang, or one of Nagasu or Agnes if they get their acts together.

Well, Ashley placed 4th in a relatively weak field. Next year, the Russian girls are coming, with Ando and maybe Kim (if she wants to qualify some spots for Korea for the Olympics) returning to competition. Asada is going to leave her past behind, and be more focused (she's a fighter!). Competition is going to be a lot more stiffer, and if there's something I've learned from watching Figure Skating, it's never to count anyone out.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I haven't had chance to read through this thread yet. It's so sad and embarrassing for Alissa. 22nd place?! Congratulations to the medalists and Wagner!

johnny 80

Match Penalty
Yu Na won Worlds with 5 triples. She had a lutz but not a loop. Shizuka won the Olympics with 5 triples, too. Totally agree that standards have dropped since Michelle, et al. When Michelle won with 6 triples it was considered one of her "lesser" efforts, technically. And no one has yet met the standard set by Midori over 20 years ago.

but Michelle had no 3T-3T.. Yuka neither..
They got no 3T-3T even in free..

Even Kostner and Leonova did 3T-3T in short.

Last year Ando ,, no 3-3

All podium members in this worlds got 3T-3T in LP this year..

In COP era, Female athletes make many mistakes because they are trying difficult tricks such as 3Lz-3T,
3F-3T, 3loop-3loop, 2A-3T etc.

Since Yamaguch tried 3L-3T in 92 Olympics' Free, Only Few women has succeeded..

Normally even not tried before COP era,,

At 27, Suzuki tried 3T-3T cause she had to in this COP era..

And you know 3T-3T is the easiest 3-3 combo.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
but Michelle had no 3T-3T.. Yuka neither..
They got no 3T-3T even in free..

Even Kostner and Leonova did 3T-3T in short.

Last year Ando ,, no 3-3

All podium members in this worlds got 3T-3T in LP this year..

In COP era... Female atletes made many mistakes because they try difficult tricks such as 3L-3T, 3F-3T,3loop-3loop

Since Yamaguch tried 3L-3T in 92 Olympic Free, Only Few women has succeeded..

Normally even not tried before COP era,,

Michelle Kwan did 3T-3T in the LP until 2003!

johnny 80

Match Penalty
She did not try 3-3 in two Olympics,, played too safely.

As Frank said she didn't attack.

and as you know,, She only did when she needed to.

She didn't execute 3-3 consistently..

but I understand her.. Olympic pressure is not even comparable to Worlds'

specially for favorites...

This worlds, We saw Wagner and Leonova more nervous than ever as they were favorites.

Though I find they both have nerves of steel , even they feel the pressure for expectations.

Olympic pressure way, way larger than Worlds for favorites,,

Last edited:
Michelle's coach had to take the 3T-3T out of her 1998 Olympics prpogram because Michelle was recovering from a broken foot. She substituted an eight jumping pass (allowed in those days) and still gave a seven triple performance. (3Lz+2T, 3Lo+half-loop+2T, 3F, 2A, 3Lo, 3S, 3Lz, 3T)

In 2002 she attempted 3T+3T, but she two-footed the first jump and could only do a 2T after. (3Lo, 3T+2T, 3Lz+2Lo, 2A, 3F (fall), 3LS, 3Lz)

In all she did 3T+3T successfully 11 times in major competition, including 5 times at the World Championships.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well, Ashley placed 4th in a relatively weak field. Next year, the Russian girls are coming, with Ando and maybe Kim (if she wants to qualify some spots for Korea for the Olympics) returning to competition. Asada is going to leave her past behind, and be more focused (she's a fighter!). Competition is going to be a lot more stiffer, and if there's something I've learned from watching Figure Skating, it's never to count anyone out.

Hae-Jin Kim is old enough to go to Worlds next year. She can likely place top 10 and get Korea 2 spots for the Olympics. She is a very strong technical skater.