LADIES FREE Skate | Page 38 | Golden Skate

LADIES FREE Skate

Robeye

Final Flight
I really, really wanted Ashley to podium, and finally break both the medal drought for the US ladies and just for herself. But then I realized I actually wanted it for Akiko more when I noticed I was nearly falling out of my chair during her skate 'cause I was rooting so hard.

Akiko, IMO, is possibly the best performer on the ladies side in skating right now. She has never gotten her due in that regard in the PCS. But she made up for it by working so very hard on her technical elements, learning a 3/3 and a 2a/3t at her relative late age (and she gets better and better at them, too). If the judges won't give it to her in the PCS she'll just have to win it with TES.

Really, anyway you look at this Worlds, the bronzes in every discipline were the highlights. All 4 bronzes went to first time world medalists, all of them at varying stages of their careers, but all of them delightful skaters with lots of supporters who wanted the best for them. I will say, though, that Akiko's win is the most satisfying and touching for me.
I completely agree with you. For the life of me, I can't understand Akiko's PCS scores. I feel like I'm missing something...can someone offer at least a plausible explanation?

heyhey

On the Ice
Yes! Even though she might be disappointed, 4th is a fantastic result considering she hasn't been among the world's elite AT ALL as recently as 2 months ago. You really have to build up your reputation to get good marks and so she is definitely on the right path to better results next year! So proud of her!

This - it is about building momentum and gaining experience. Next stop WTT for Ashley and then she joins the cast of SOI for the Canadian tour. I personally think that having the opportunity to skate with the likes of Kurt Browning, Jeff Buttle, Joannie Rochette, V/M, Jeremy Abbott etc in group numbers can only improve her presentation skills...my two cents...

StellaCampo

On the Ice
GOLD - 25 years old age
SILVER - 22
BRONZE - 27

;) no teens

Yes, congratulations to the 3 mature ladies on the podium!!!!
Shame about Ashley. I thought she might have gained more points...
Worried about Mao. Was that 1A meant to be 2A or 3A? She seemed to totally lack energy.

MasterB

Final Flight
So proud of Wagner, almost got that third spot.

Akiko you rock. Glad you got a medal

Great for Leonova, for not falling apart.

Carolina, you finally did it. How many times did people say you should quit. Well this win was a big FU to their face.

Alyssa, you went for every jump no matter what and that shows how strong you really are. Don't listen to the haters, you hang in there and come back strong next year.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Final thought: Carolina was able to do this year what Alissa will never be able to do even if she skates her best because the real Russians are coming next year. And that means this year was the best shot for everybody, especially Alissa. No Yuna, no Miki, a fragile Mao, the door was wide open for the artists to step through, and Carolina did just that! As I said waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I first saw her she reminds me of my all-time favorite Oksana Baiul, both classified as *diamonds* when they first hit the scene. :cool: :love: :thumbsup:

whuzzup22

Spectator
Coincidentally, ice dance aside, the new bronze medalists were all Japanese!

A bronze is worth a gold as these Championships :) The bronze medalists in all disciplines were more enchanting than the other two medalists :)

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Alyssa, you went for every jump no matter what and that shows how strong you really are. Don't listen to the haters, you hang in there and come back strong next year.

Why are people considered haters when they only talk about what happened right infront of our eyes? The girl bombed, not just a couple mistakes, but she bombed, and did it for the 2nd competition in a row. There is nothing to praise in Alyssa's performance today.

treeloving

Medalist
Congrats to Carolina, and Akiko (Wish you won sliver)

Alena as well (for exceed my expectation)

To be honest, the standard of ladies skate right now is very low. Kesnia bomb like that and she still in top ten - that tell something.

christinaskater

Medalist
I am the biggest Akiko fan and I also agree she earned that silver.
Alena just earned enough points thanks to her SP and the block voting.

1. Carolina Kostner
2. Akiko Suzuki
3. Ashley Wagner for me

Well, I was rooting for Akiko to place higher, but I'm so impressed that Japan has 3 ladies in the top 10. Carolina makes my heart sing - she's an exquisite, inspiring World Champion. I have to salute Alena's determination, though I share the general relief that she didn't win. Huge congrats to all three medalists and to Ashley for making it clear that American ladies are still contenders, and to Kanako for her fierce 5th-place finish.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Well Russia backs in with their 3 sports barely. I think Makarova needs to retire like Alissa

we wont be seeing Makarova again, her purpse is done, to keep 3 spot for Russia
next Worlds it will be Alena, Tuktamisheva and Adelina

MasterB

Final Flight
Why are people considered haters when they only talk about what happened right infront of our eyes? The girl bombed, not just a couple mistakes, but she bombed, and did it for the 2nd competition in a row. There is nothing to praise in Alyssa's performance today.

I will always see the cup as half full.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So happy for Akiko! So glad she never gave up! Now she has a World's medal.

Japan wins for most medals with 4 (1 silver, 3 bronze)
Russia had 2 (2 silver)
Canada had 2 (2 gold)
Germany 1 (gold)
Italy 1 (gold)
USA 1 (silver)
France 1 (bronze)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Leonova doesn't look all that happy on the podium. Looks like she gonna cry. Cheer up girl.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
What a World Championships this was!! :p
Yeah maybe both good and bad means. Daisuke and Yuzuru's FS was brilliant besides T/T got medal for Japan pair for the first time! I'm so happy for Carolina to take the title and Akiko's on the podium,too! Nice podium! But I'm really worried about team Sato (USA and Japan) whose all skaters except Marchei had rough skates...

lavender

Record Breaker
Well next year will probably very different with the junior girls coming up from Russia and US (Gracie). Who knows if Alena will even make it to next years worlds. I don't expect Alissa to be there.

There's really no one on the mens side that's ready for the podium but maybe Weir and lysacek will be there.