Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: Pairs free skate

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts, rain. I wish we could have a face-to-face discussion. My tone is not meant to be confrontational, altho' my comments might come across that way. Yes, S/S were nervous (most athletes do experience nerves under the high-pressure of high level competition -- that S/S were more nervous than usual is unsurprising). When you see your strongest rivals come back with a great yet over-scored performance, wouldn't you start sweating? But, would you be able to overcome your nerves and perform the way S/S did? It was quite spectacular to see S/S hit everything and overcome their nerves. IMO, you are exaggerating that they were"so distracted." S/S could not have achieved that performance if they were that distracted. Training puts choreo in the very marrow of skaters' bones -- they know it by heart, and by God, yes, S/S did perform the choreography. It was not their strongest performance, but it certainly was good enough to be scored better than it was here. Apparently tho' not good enough for the judges' and your high expectations.

Why don't you ask S/S and S where they feel the program was "meant to go," before assuming that you know all about it? Were you there when they came up with the idea? Did you watch them training in modern dance? Did you follow the difficult development of the choreography? Have you read the articles and interviews with S/S and S regarding this program? Have you seen the film, Pina, or some of the film excerpts on youtube? I guess it is not enough to reach high and keep pushing yourself, to try something risky and different that is a mini-masterpiece, despite it not becoming fully realized in a way that some viewers might find "satisfying." Whether or not it is obvious, the greatest difficulty of this program is in melding the difficult pairs elements (esp. CoP era elements) into the innovative choreography. BTW, the Pina-inspired movement style that S/S perform is not meant to be "crisp."

It might be nice to see S/S keep their Pina program for another season to evolve it more, but I'd prefer that they continue working on it as an exhibition. I'd be surprised if we see this same fp again next year for competition. S/S never seem to repeat themselves or rest on their laurels. S/S and S have raised the bar in pairs figure skating, and everyone has sat up and taken notice, but many are grudging in their praise and reluctant to admit that S/S and S have been inspiring and influential.
    u re my brother/sister in mind

Custom Title
    Youtube seems to cracking down on some vids right as they are put up so I would use keep-tube.com if you want to save them

Custom Title
    welll if M/M-T skates like @ nationals.... they won t be better than D/W

but they re more experienced...

Custom Title
    First of, well done T/T, what a great performance to get bronze. I really didn't think they had a chance, I thought they were going to drop like a stone. I think that was the best I seen her perform. Their reaction on realising they were 3rd was priceless.

V/T were superb, that was the best I have ever seen them perform, they nailed everything. They really went for it, they were the clear winners on the night, I thought they were going to sneak the gold for a while. I found S/S a bit flat, it wasn't the best they performed but they had a clear lead from the short, four world titles is a great achievement. What a delightful performance from K/S if they had got that lift up they would be on the podium. It's sad that programme has not got a world medal, it is one of the best pair programmes in years (IMO). I was a bit disappointed for P/T, he had a real bad fall, it was a long way of their best.

I found the second last group more impressive that the final group. Even thought I thought D/R, D/C and S/H excelled on the TES I though they were lacking in PCS and all were overscored in that area. An electric guitar doing Nessum Dorma, there should be a deduction for that, horrible music. S/H were better than I expected, they have great trick the quad throw and twist were very exciting to see and he done a decent flamengo impression. D/R I also found empty.

I wouldn't have M/B ahead of the Italians. I thought they rushed through everything and completely ignored the music and while they probably should be ahead on TES I would not have them ahead on PCS, the Italians are by far the better on the second mark. Dissapointing for D/W, after doing so well make the Canadian team they had a bit of a disaster tonight.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I hope this comment is true although I've never seen V/M kiss each other in the mouth. I could be wrong..different cultures.
    I think it is a case of different cultures. I remember a news story from a couple years ago about a Russian tennis player (Torgunov, Torlanov?) who was seen kissing another Russian man on the mouth and it was assumed they were in a relationship but they said it was just a cultural misunderstanding.

Banned
    kissing in the mouth ?

I did see Stepanova/Bukin kiss in the mouth too
    at the juniors K&C. maybe just affectionate but not necessarily mean lovers ?
    V/T just got a bit emotional after their LP and kiss each other

Custom Title
    come on we re in europe .... it s spring ...

^it's trankov...

Medalist
    T/T's LP with K&C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61OOffoS0ZY

Narumi is so cute

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nena View Post
    T/T's LP with K&C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61OOffoS0ZY

Narumi is so cute
    that s sooo cool

Banned
    any replay videos from Tanya/Maxim ?

Narumi is so cute!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    Narumi is so cute!
    OMG i honestly couldn't contain my emotions while watching the K&C....Narumi is so adorable!! I love these moments! These moments are definitely the highlight of figure skating for me I am so so so so happy for them!

Btw what the heck was that, Mervin? He threw his tissue or something to the side during the K&C...
    Last edited by Becki; 03-30-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by paircheck View Post
    how do u know this???
    For starters, Savchenko/ Solkowy gave an interview where they discussed the difficulty of putting the Pina program together and the complexities of performing it. I've followed figure skating closely for many years (too many to count), and unsurprisingly, I am a huge fan of S/S and S and what they have brought to the sport of figure skating. In addition, I have studied dance and followed the work of many ballet and modern dance choreographers. Pina Bausch was a famous German modern dance choreographer and ballet director. She was known for an inventive, unexpected movement style, and for creating choreography that explored male-female interactions and melancholy themes. Below is a trailer for the documentary film, Pina, which inspired S/S fp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RT3xhkeWo

Lots of movements in there that might also have been explored, but Steuer and his team did a great job considering they had to work within the constraints of CoP. Also, S/S challenged themselves technically this season with training the throw 3-axel. I for one marvel at what they have been able to accomplish with all the obstacles they have faced.

BTW, I am also excited about V/T pairing and potential, but for me V/T while they are definitely able to challenge S/S, are being over-hyped prematurely largely because of the great Russian tradition which has historically dominated pairs figure skating.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast