Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Thread: Pairs free skate

Custom Title
    I feel really sorry for S/H. missing one lift and then 16 points lower than their PB when everything else was just as good. is this still a sport? it's a myth.

I think they put the wrong pair up front for China's best team at this worlds, S/H should've been the top ranked team yesterday

In the void
    Today I was finally able to watch (most of) the routines thru completely.

What I still don't get (a common problem btw) is why everybody thinks the program components for V&T vs. S&S are completely right. Skating skills and execution - ok on this night. Transitions one could discuss. But concerning choreography / composition / interpretation I have questions for V&T. What was this routine choreographed about? In general I'd say it is the usual ballet program to classical music as we know it for decades. Except the costumes and Maxim's fierce look at the end I can find no connection to the movie Black swan (if that was intended at all). Don't get me wrong, their ballet routine was skated very well and with lot of energy - and special kudos to their comeback after the sp. But in those parts of the components S&S should have way more points than V&T imho.

My only interpretation is that the judges do not judge according to their guidelines and still prefer the old style. But heck - I loved that style in the 80s with Gordeeva & Grinkov (still do) and I have to say I am glad that there are skaters and choreographers who notice that 30 years have passed. And V&T's sp is to modern music, but the choreography does not match it either for me.

This innovative approach in choreography is what I like about S&S's routines. And it seems to me that the judges have other intentions. One question: how old are they?

Custom Title
    k/S skated so beautifully that I could hardly think that were them. this is the first time I really enjoy their skating. wish the m luck for next season. Just wow for that carry lift! the whole program cast a spell. now I consider them as first class skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    I feel really sorry for S/H. missing one lift and then 16 points lower than their PB when everything else was just as good. is this still a sport? it's a myth.
    Sui & Han's scores as 4CC were very inflated. They received huge GoE on the quad twist which was under-rotated and she crashed into his shoulder. They also received big GoE on the quad throw which was also flawed. The have no unison, and their skating skills are weak. Yes, big tricks are big, but they're not clean, and in this crowd, their juniorish presentation looked weak beside the grown ups. Here, their marks were more relatistic, based on their skills.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Sui & Han's scores as 4CC were very inflated. They received huge GoE on the quad twist which was under-rotated and she crashed into his shoulder. They also received big GoE on the quad throw which was also flawed. The have no unison, and their skating skills are weak. Yes, big tricks are big, but they're not clean, and in this crowd, their juniorish presentation looked weak beside the grown ups. Here, their marks were more relatistic, based on their skills.
    couldn't have said it better
    I knew they would never get that hyperinflated scores at 4CC here in Worlds Championships
    other than their trick have poor skating skills, they need to learn from T/T

their big trick the quads arent even stable

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Hmm, I would have had the overall standings at this competition as:

01. Savchenko/Szolkowy (gutsy 3Axel attempt in the SP, completed decently enough, and a very strong LP even if not their best)
    02. Volosozhar/Trankov (thought their LP was overscored but it was indeed the best and deserved to pull them up this far)
    03. Takahashi/Tran (how nice to see them skate so well)
    04. Duhamel/Radford (strong and pleasant all-around except for 1 mistake in each program, just not truly special in any regard)
    05. Kavaguti/Smirnov (such a wonderful LP, they are a bit underscored on the PCS for this program as usual and judged a little too harshly in the SP)
    06. Sui/Han (surprised to see them in 9th, the lift mistake obviously hurt a lot but I think their PCS were too low as a result of backlash against their overscoring at other competitions)
    07. Pang/Tong (very overscored on reputation; they gave lackluster performances and made so many mistakes)
    08. Bazarova/Larionov (a solid but unremarkable pair; made plenty of mistakes and got a Russian bonus)
    09. Denney/Coughlin (ICK, ICK...but they do have good technical consistency)
    10. Marley/Brubaker (there's talent here but they definitely need more consistency and a better suited LP)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    k/S skated so beautifully that I could hardly think that were them. this is the first time I really enjoy their skating. wish the m luck for next season. Just wow for that carry lift! the whole program cast a spell. now I consider them as first class skaters.
    Before the FS I thought they had run out of steam but I would revise my opinion. They were exquisite. Shame about the aborted lift - I put it down to Smirnov's operation. Technically they have 3 issues: 1) go for 3Tx3T seq or 2Ax2A? 2) fix the crashy twist, 3) new lifts. But I don't really care. What I look for in them is sheer beauty, creation of atmosphere and illumination of the music. To me these are of higher value and longer lasting than medals. I look forward to the next season.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    couldn't have said it better
    I knew they would never get that hyperinflated scores at 4CC here in Worlds Championships
    other than their trick have poor skating skills, they need to learn from T/T

their big trick the quads arent even stable
    Or they can just work on getting their elements more stable and increase technical difficulty and GoE instead. Pair and Ladies are currently the most boring disciplines IMO because technical difficulty are regressing/stalled while every team/skater is trying to be exactly the same by milking SS and skating to the same music/style over and over. It would've been the same for the men if Chan didn't increase his technical difficulty from no 3A/4T to one 3A and two 4T.

I love S/H as well as D/R, as well as S/S more recently because they're trying something different. Quads, difficult single jumps, throw 3A and innovative choreography. Besides China already has another pair team more focused on skating skills in Yu/Jin, it'll provide some nice contrast.
    Last edited by UnChosen; 04-01-2012 at 06:38 AM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Hmm, I would have had the overall standings at this competition as:

01. Savchenko/Szolkowy (gutsy 3Axel attempt in the SP, completed decently enough, and a very strong LP even if not their best)
    02. Volosozhar/Trankov (thought their LP was overscored but it was indeed the best and deserved to pull them up this far)
    03. Takahashi/Tran (how nice to see them skate so well)
    04. Duhamel/Radford (strong and pleasant all-around except for 1 mistake in each program, just not truly special in any regard)
    05. Kavaguti/Smirnov (such a wonderful LP, they are a bit underscored on the PCS for this program as usual and judged a little too harshly in the SP)
    06. Sui/Han (surprised to see them in 9th, the lift mistake obviously hurt a lot but I think their PCS were too low as a result of backlash against their overscoring at other competitions)
    07. Pang/Tong (very overscored on reputation; they gave lackluster performances and made so many mistakes)
    08. Bazarova/Larionov (a solid but unremarkable pair; made plenty of mistakes and got a Russian bonus)
    09. Denney/Coughlin (ICK, ICK...but they do have good technical consistency)
    10. Marley/Brubaker (there's talent here but they definitely need more consistency and a better suited LP)
    I totally agree with your placements. Pang/Tong have been grossly over-scored all season last year and now at this event. Corruption in scoring will always be a part of this sport, unfortunately.

Custom Title
    Does anyone know if there's a link to the pairs medal ceremony? I couldn't find one anywhere :(

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a link to the pairs medal ceremony? I couldn't find one anywhere :(
    It's on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaAXzJIkE2I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstone View Post
    aw so sweet. T/T were so excited
    and V/T reaching out and being happy for them

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31